Will moving to another state after acceptance affect residency or be grounds for rescinding acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. 2 Dr.

Reaction score
Hello,
I will be applying as a California resident to mostly CA schools this upcoming 2024/2025 cycle (I have lived, worked, & gone to school in CA my entire life), but I want to move in with a parent who lives in another state from December 2024 until matriculation in Aug. 2025. Is this likely to affect my in-state residency status? If it does, could this be grounds for a CA school to rescind an acceptance?

More info:
  • I plan on working and saving money after I move (will have a 2025 tax return in this other state)
  • My CA drivers license will expire during this period so I may have to apply for a DL in this other state (But if possible I will renew CDL using my other parent’s address in CA & opt not to get a DL in other state)
  • I may also have to register my car in other state (again, if possible I will keep it registered in CA using the same methods)
  • Lastly, I will try to remain registered to vote in CA during this period of time. If I can’t, I simply won’t register to vote in the new state.

In the worst case scenario that I have to get a DL & register my car in this other state, is it likely that i’ll lose my CA residency status? In such an instance, will my acceptance to a CA school also be at risk of being rescinded?

I appreciate any insight into this that you guys can give. Thank you in advance for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I would ask the admissions staff at the schools you are applying to. If you have been accepted, this is a question you ask student services.

That said, schools will take your history in California into consideration, especially in areas that are medically underserved and disadvantaged.