Medical Would I be considered disadvantaged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi - I am seeking advice on if the following explanation is appropriate for disadvantaged status.

My father died when I was 16. We had been living in the US for 11 years on a single income, with my mother and I on TN-dependent (non-work) visas. My father's passing put our immigration status in a grey area, and our family's limited resources prevented us from retaining legal help with our situation. I finished high school a year early so my mother could move back to Canada to seek employment.

I was selected to be a QuestBridge Finalist, leading to a full-ride scholarship to W&L. My mother had trouble finding employment in Canada, due to an over 10-year gap in work experience. I took part-time employment my Sophomore year (age 17-18) to support her; my course grades fell as a result. It was not until my Senior year of Undergrad (age 19-20) that my mother's situation stabilized, and I was able to refocus on my studies.

Thank you
I find this website to be helpful in assessing whether or not one is disadvantaged: https://www.usnews.com/education/bl...o-be-a-disadvantaged-medical-school-applicant

Based on what you have described, it seems like you were.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.