Welcome to Match Week 2021! Congratulations to all the fourth-year medical students who have matched into a residency this year. We hope that all students in the SOAP process land a great position.
Match 2021 Threads on the Forums
If you’d like talk about your match experiences, here’s a roundup of some of the general threads:
- General Discussions:
- Match Day (Success Stories): Match Day 2021
- Match Lists: OFFICIAL – 2021 Match Lists
- SOAP: SOAP 2021
There are also specialty specific threads. Here are a few of the most active:
- Dermatology: Dermatology Applicants Up!
- Internal Medicine: IMG Internal Medicine Applicants – Match 2021
- Family Medicine: IMG Family Medicine Applicants- Match 2021
- Radiation Oncology: More and more programs using SOAP to fill
What is the Match?
If you are looking at this asking yourself, “What are they talking about?”, here’s the lowdown: Fourth year medical students apply to residency programs in their desired field and are interviewed. The students create lists of the residencies where they want to go in rank order. The programs, in turn, create lists of the students that they want to become residents at their program, also in rank order. These lists are run through a matching algorithm (hence the name) that assigns students to the residency programs. This nifty video explains it all:
Check out Match Week in Review to learn more about the match process and how it works for medical students, as well as what happens to students who don’t match.
We wish you all the best in your future medical career!