Reapplication predisposition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interviewed at my top choice med school this year and rejected shortly thereafter. Incidentally, I was not accepted anywhere, and will reapply for matriculation in Fall, 2003. Do I have an equal, lesser, or better shot for another interview, let alone acceptance, as I reapply to that school? Am I predisposed to doom?

Members don't see this ad.

I replied to you in your other thread about waitlists. At which schools did you interview? Are you not going to write NYMC? My stats were almost identical to yours and I was wondering if our interviews overlapped.

I interviewed very early at UConn (Aug), Tufts (Oct), Georgetown (Nov), MCP (Oct), and NYMC (early December). Again, rejected everywhere but NYMC (waitlisted). Not certain, and afraid to examine, whether our interviews coincided. I will write that letter of intent soon and get a professor to submit an add'l letter of support, but I can't be too sure that will cut it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry I was unclear, I meant I was wondering if we had been offered interviews at the same schools. I was flat out rejected by Georgetown. Interviewed at GW (Sept), Temple (Sept), MCP (Oct), Einstein (Oct), and NYMC (Nov). I didn't attend interviews at two other places.

Whereelse are you waiting to hear? It's almost the end of March, but you may want to send second semester grades (if you're still in school), an additional recommendation, and an update letter to your remaining schools. I had a friend who didn't start interviewing until late in March last year. She attended only three interviews: VCU, Jefferson, and NYMC. She was initially waitlisted at all three schools, but eventually offered acceptances at Jefferson and NYMC.

Good luck.

You have interviewed at some really good schools!!! It seems like you have been unlucky this time around, as your application was good enough to get you those interviews. Applying again, with some updated grades and a great summer medicine related job could be fine. Also, apply to a broad range of schools, some with acceptance numbers lower than yours.

Technically, I'm still waiting to hear from Boston U., Yale, and Harvard. Realistically, everybody's given me the thumbs down. Dartmouth rejected me in December, and Penn (blah) and Emory followed suit last week.

I concur with Valleygirl. Your app must have been fine this year if you were granted 5 interviews. Maybe touch up on a few ECs and your interviewing skills and apply to a broader range of schools. You may want to try some lower tier schools like GW, Albany, Temple, etc and your state school, Vermont. Good luck.

I can't touch up on extracurriculars-- it's simply too late. Plus, my grades are so solidified that it will be difficult to alter my GPA notably. If I don't get into medical school this year, an MCAT retake, interview work, and a year or two in the clinical research industry should do me well. Thanks for everything, but everybody keeps saying, "it's your GPA", and that annoys me. My EC's and grades are somewhat limited; this is all an artifact of being a 4-year, Division I Varsity athlete. A rigorous training regime is both physically and mentally exhausting, and it takes up 30 or so hours every week. I am confident that I will get into medical school next year, if not this year, and I think increased research experience and a boosted MCAT are essential- not a 3.6 versus a 3.5.

BTW- nobody answerd my original question- this post has become "Despair, Please help", revisited. As for my original concern, is it likely that Georgetown will re-interview me next year, or have I become a predisposed reject after a lousy one this year? Any advice is greatly appeciated as I map out a plan.

To answer your original question, it's hard to determine whether a school will reinterview you or not. Some schools state not to reapply unless something significant has been changed with your application. I think there are a few reapplicants on this board who reapplied and were reinterviewed and rejected or were flat out rejected again. And there are others who reapplied and were reinterviewd, but accepted.

My best advice is to call G-town and let them know that you were interviewed and rejected this year and you'd like to know if there was any aspect of your application you could work on. I know that there is a one-year master's program at G-town. 85% of their students are offered interviews at G-town and most go on to med school the year after they finish the program. Good luck.

P.S. I know the strains of being varsity athlete. I swam for two years, but quit after apapthy and lack of time for other activities. 30+ hours of having your face in the pool isn't fun.

I was THIS CLOSE to applying for that Special Master's program. THIS CLOSE. Truth is, too many advisors advised against wasting money that way. My argument was that it was an "in" at where I ultimately want to be. Still, it's too costly. I've set my sights on the workforce. Thanks anyway, you seem very knowledgeable. THIS CLOSE.

I suggested the program because many of the prospective applicants from JHU that are borderline candidates (<3.3GPA/27-29MCATs) are advised to enroll in the program. I have a friend in the program that was offered interviews at G-Town and Hopkins. She had a 3.3 and 28 MCAT.

From what I hear the Special Master's students take a few of the first year med school classes. They are graded while the med students have H/HP/LP/P/F. It is expensive, but it can't hurt to have an "in" to a good school and an additional degree.

I'm currently working this year. When you interview with future research employers, be certain to tell them you're applying to med school and gauge if they're genuinely willing to let you go on interviews. I told my MD/PHD boss during my interview that I was applying to med schools and I would be leaving for interviews. I later found out this guy has been through 4 lab techs in year. Apparently, he is a jerk!

That Georgetown program IS appealing. Since I have until June to submit my application, I may just change my mind depending on how things turn out.

Hopefully this might give you some insight into your question. I was interviewed last year by Albert Einstein School of Medicine in late March. I was eventually rejected, I quickly called the admissions office to find out what were the reasons for my rejection and was told to increase my PS score on the MCAT. On their brochure it clearly says not to re-apply unless there is substantial improvement from the previous application. To make a long story short I improved my PS score by 4 points (from a 7 to 11) got one more letter of recommendation and re-applied this year. I was re-interviewed by them in early October; however, I was rejected again last month (OUCH since they don?t allow 3rd time application to their med school). Good luck and find out the reasons why you were rejected. Each school might have a different reason so it?s always good to find out from all of them.

Will-

I responded via PM and included my e-mail. You can e-mail me from now on if it's more convenient for you.

G'luck-
DK

Well, the only school to interview me last year ignored me this year. I don't know if this is typical. Hopefully you will make a wiser selection of schools next year and won't have to rely on the ones that interviewed you this year.

good luck