This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5tgb6yhn4rfv

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes legally say no unless a secondary asks about arrests

It may still come up for VA rotations. Federal govt isn’t bound by state law, so they keep the records but usually just don’t disclose. But they probably would for VA

Members don't see this ad :)
so i actually consulted a lawyer about this. They said FBI gets the record from the state and since the state would not furnish the record when performing a "unsuppressed" check, they would therefore not have a record. but i am curious, can i still say no when asked if I have been arrested?
You WERE arrested, so answer yes and then explain.

so i actually consulted a lawyer about this. They said FBI gets the record from the state and since the state would not furnish the record when performing a "unsuppressed" check, they would therefore not have a record. but i am curious, can i still say no when asked if I have been arrested?
You aren't going to get good advice on this topic on SDN. The legal acts of sealing the case and suppressing the arrest record are done precisely so that this won't (necessarily) follow you around for the rest of your life. That may include the legally-sanctioned "lie" of answering no to a particular question.

Certain state medical boards ask questions about all arrests/charges/convictions regardless of disposition. For those you would need to answer yes and provide an explanation. Other boards allow non-disclosure of incidents that have been sealed.

I don't think you would have to disclose this on AMCAS. If you have questions about specific school secondaries you can always request clarification directly from them.

Reactions: 2 users
never hurts to gets a third or fourth legal opinion.

Most reputable law firms offer free consultations

Last edited:
i actually got accepted to a school and they are asking for arrest. I didn't even think it would be an issue until now. I consulted a lawyer, initially, hoping that he would help me draft a statement about the incident. To my surprise, he told me I can (he actually emailed me and used "should", rather than "can") legally say no, but I am not 100% comfortable. I did a lot of googling on SDN/reddit and it seems like 99.99% of cases they were advised to say yes. After much research, I learned that the school is in one of the states where the state medical boards ask questions about all arrests/charges/convictions regardless of disposition. But the arrest took place in another state where I don't have to disclose incidents that have been sealed. If I say yes, the school could potentially rescind the offer due to the nature of the arrest. But if i say no, the school somehow finds out and i will be immediately disqualified. what would you recommend i should do? Go with the lawyer's advice and don't disclose it or lay it all out to the school?
I suggest you make an appointment with the student affairs dean and lay this all on the table. The simple truth is that situations like these are confusing for everyone, and trying to navigate alone is difficult.

Reactions: 1 user
How bad is the offense OP?

If you don’t want to say exactly, give a tier of crimes.

5 is a lot. I feel like if the school found out, they wouldn’t be very happy considering they ask about arrests. Now would they have any legal power to do anything? I’m don’t know the answer but a lawyer probably would. Don’t just ask one.

Reactions: 1 user