2009-2010 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you guys are nuts.

I live in the Bay Area (similar in cost of living to Boston) and I cook all the time.

There's no way I could cook on $10 per day.
Are you a larger person?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a larger person?

No, I'm 6', 160 lbs.

The cost of living is just ridiculous here.

EDIT: I should give a disclaimer that I my diet is more expensive than most. I eat fish and organic produce a lot. But even if I didn't, $10 a day is impossible to live on here if you're going to eat semi-healthy.

Last edited:
No, I'm 6', 160 lbs.

EDIT: I should give a disclaimer that I my diet is more expensive than most. I eat fish and organic produce a lot. But even if I didn't, $10 a day is impossible to live on here if you're going to eat semi-healthy.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply large = obese. 6' is not enormous, but you still probably eat a lot more than the average student (girls especially).... I live in NYC and can usually keep groceries to about 200-250 a month. Admittedly, I use Trader Joe's a lot for both food and wine...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply large = obese. 6' is not enormous, but you still probably eat a lot more than the average student (girls especially).... I live in NYC and can usually keep groceries to about 200-250 a month. Admittedly, I use Trader Joe's a lot for both food and wine...

It definitely takes frugality and cooking knowledge to make good food on the cheap, but it can definitely be done. If not or if you want to prioritize eating more/better food, you can cut expenses elsewhere. Live in a 3-4 bedroom place instead of a 2 bedroom, go without cable (we'll prob be too busy to watch tv anyways, and if not there's always online streaming), use only a cell phone instead of cell+landline, etc.

Sorry, but how can you possibly eat on $10 a day unless you're only eating ramen?

No, I'm 6', 160 lbs.

i live in NYC, and i don't eat refined sugar or very many packaged foods. i buy produce from the farmers market and organic bulk grains/legumes and everything else at the grocery store. i spend about $50 on groceries on the most expensive weeks... usually less, more like $30-40. but i don't eat meat/fish, so maybe that makes the difference.

When I lived in Nashville for several summers, I was able to live pretty well off of groceries ~$30 a week (meat included!). If you're in Boston, this is defeinitely do-able if you buy your groceries in Chinatown.

EDIT: Just learn how to cook well :)

i live in NYC, and i don't eat refined sugar or very many packaged foods. i buy produce from the farmers market and organic bulk grains/legumes and everything else at the grocery store. i spend about $50 on groceries on the most expensive weeks... usually less, more like $30-40. but i don't eat meat/fish, so maybe that makes the difference.

Yeah the protein is always the most costly ingredient.

Which is why I go for lentils when I need a cheap eat.

Yeah the protein is always the most costly ingredient.

Which is why I go for lentils when I need a cheap eat.

True, but you can get fresh boneless chicken breasts for $2/pound at Costco, and its easy to get creative with chicken.

Nailed it. I spend ~$100/week on food. I have a weakness for gourmet food: expensive meat, fish, cheese, fruits, etc.

Overrated.

No, it's true.

Will buying free-range chicken make any diference? Nope.

Does it make me feel better? Yup.

Is that feeling worth the extra cost? To me, yes.

No, it's true.

Will buying free-range chicken make any diference? Nope.

Does it make me feel better? Yup.

Is that feeling worth the extra cost? To me, yes.
Then don't go to BU if you'd rather eat expensive meat...

Members don't see this ad :)
Then don't go to BU if you'd rather eat expensive meat...

Seriously hoping this is sarcasm. Anyways, moral of the story is B.U is expensive but theres still room to eat nice/do other things as long as you prioritize and cut back elsewhere.

On that note, who here is heading to second look, and do you know if they put you up in student housing?

ummm can we get back to purpose of this thread and not guyski's eating preferences.

excellent question about the second look weekend - any one know? i'm in the deferred group but really really like bu. here's to hoping.

i love how this thread has turned into collection of food recipe's :D

i love how this thread has turned into collection of food recipe's :D

i can imagine it now...2nd years passing down recipes, not biochem notes. who needs those?!? its all about what to do with chicken and the best place to buy cheap + good veggies. sorry, now i'm digressing...brb snack time.

i can imagine it now...2nd years passing down recipes, not biochem notes. who needs those?!? its all about what to do with chicken and the best place to buy cheap + good veggies. sorry, now i'm digressing...brb snack time.

Friday and Saturday's there is a farmers market in Boston's North end. Love it!

Seriously hoping this is sarcasm. Anyways, moral of the story is B.U is expensive but theres still room to eat nice/do other things as long as you prioritize and cut back elsewhere.

On that note, who here is heading to second look, and do you know if they put you up in student housing?

I'll probably be there even though I'm pretty sure I'm going already. Gonna be apartment hunting that week too.

Friday and Saturday's there is a farmers market in Boston's North end. Love it!

you guys are making me hungry :shifty:

i'm always hungry! :p

oh, there is a cute place called flour bakery in the south end near the hospital. it was featured on food network throw-down, which is why i went. sticky buns are to DIE for!!!

i'm always hungry! :p

oh, there is a cute place called flour bakery in the south end near the hospital. it was featured on food network throw-down, which is why i went. sticky buns are to DIE for!!!

FLOUR, I love that place. South end has a lot of great dinning!

Not to be a debbie-downer or anything but the heart of what I had originally asked had more to do with finances than food. There are definite financial implications for attending BU versus a state school with a much lower tuition. BU has a great reputation that precedes itself. There is no doubt that its students are endowed with a great education but a lot of state schools also provide a similar level of education at a much lower cost. The real question is does the old adage "you get what you pay for" really hold true in this scenario. I already live in Boston and feel that it is a great place so being sold on the location is already a done deal! All opinions are welcome!

So i was complete 10/30, haven't heard anything from them, haven't been rejcted..... the interview season ends 2/15, so now would be the time for an update letter right?

anyone complete around taht time and get an interview?

Not to be a debbie-downer or anything but the heart of what I had originally asked had more to do with finances than food. There are definite financial implications for attending BU versus a state school with a much lower tuition. BU has a great reputation that precedes itself. There is no doubt that its students are endowed with a great education but a lot of state schools also provide a similar level of education at a much lower cost. The real question is does the old adage "you get what you pay for" really hold true in this scenario. I already live in Boston and feel that it is a great place so being sold on the location is already a done deal! All opinions are welcome!

Okay okay, in all seriousness...I too am sold on the location of Boston. I would absolutely LOVE to be in Boston. Likewise, my decision will be between a state school and private. The student who gave my tour said that for him, coming to BU was worth every penny. And he was a 4th year so I feel like he had experienced it all. I don't know yet if BU can add anything extra or has some education feature that specifically draws me there. If not, I can't justify $200,000+ debt. I will gladly go to a CA state school. My theory - I can always go to Boston for residency.

Okay okay, in all seriousness...I too am sold on the location of Boston. I would absolutely LOVE to be in Boston. Likewise, my decision will be between a state school and private. The student who gave my tour said that for him, coming to BU was worth every penny. And he was a 4th year so I feel like he had experienced it all. I don't know yet if BU can add anything extra or has some education feature that specifically draws me there. If not, I can't justify $200,000+ debt. I will gladly go to a CA state school. My theory - I can always go to Boston for residency.

I'm from CA too. For me BU is not just about med school, it's also a chance to live somewhere else and experience something new; like not having a car. So I feel like the cost of attendance includes the whole experience of being in a new environment, living on your own, laying the foundations for the future, etc.

But I guess if you're already from the Boston area, the consideration is different.

And not that I've been accepted to a UC school, but even if I were... with the financial hole California is in and the way it's already effected the UC system... you'll forgive me if I don't trust the Regents right now. And that recent article in the New Yorker didn't help (anyone read that?)

I'm from CA too. For me BU is not just about med school, it's also a chance to live somewhere else and experience something new; like not having a car. So I feel like the cost of attendance includes the whole experience of being in a new environment, living on your own, laying the foundations for the future, etc.

But I guess if you're already from the Boston area, the consideration is different.

And not that I've been accepted to a UC school, but even if I were... with the financial hole California is in and the way it's already effected the UC system... you'll forgive me if I don't trust the Regents right now. And that recent article in the New Yorker didn't help (anyone read that?)

Just a little heads up about the UC situation: UC Davis does NOT have an MD/PhD program this year, so the finances are definitely affecting the medical schools as well.

I'm from Boston, and I sooooo would love to go to a CA state school over BU any day....maybe because of the nicer weather? I guess the grass is greener on the other side of the fence (or mississippi).

This is definitely a concern for me, and I am in a similar situation with my state school (NJ). In terms of clinical training I think it matters less in where you go. And in my case, NJMS and BU are in locations with very diverse underserved populations to take care of (a plus in my book). However, I think BU is at an advantage with their school public health and research, which I value very highly. And I agree, Boston is a great place to live!

Can any bostonians comment on the culture/personality of people in boston. I know, this is kindof a vague question, but southerners or new yorkers have certain qualities, in general. what are those qualities for bostonians? In/out of BU area.

I'm debating between cheap/instate/staying in south school vs everything great about boston and BU. I'm sure several of you are as well. Whats helped me to decide is calculating years to pay off (you can contribute doctors salary-living expenses), and imagining, do you want to live paying debts for that many years.

Good luck wherever you all end up.

Can any bostonians comment on the culture/personality of people in boston. I know, this is kindof a vague question, but southerners or new yorkers have certain qualities, in general. what are those qualities for bostonians? In/out of BU area.

I'm debating between cheap/instate/staying in south school vs everything great about boston and BU. I'm sure several of you are as well. Whats helped me to decide is calculating years to pay off (you can contribute doctors salary-living expenses), and imagining, do you want to live paying debts for that many years.

Good luck wherever you all end up.

We Bostonians (MA in general) are a pretty aggressive, Type-A bunch...hence the nickname Mass-h***s. No southern hospitality here. But seriously, I'm glad I grew up here. Lots of diversity, culture is eclectic, tons of college kids and young professionals. And we love our sports. Though living here can become very pricey, very quickly.

For those of you who have already interviewed, was the day actually over by 3pm? I am asking b/c I have been to schools that have gone way over and way under. Given BU won't give out the schedule until that day, I have no idea what to expect. I'm trying to book my trains and would love any insight. Thanks!

For those of you who have already interviewed, was the day actually over by 3pm? I am asking b/c I have been to schools that have gone way over and way under. Given BU won't give out the schedule until that day, I have no idea what to expect. I'm trying to book my trains and would love any insight. Thanks!

i think we finished at like 2:30. could be wrong though.

We were finished before 2 pm.

Sorry to interrupt this intriguing conversation on food and living expenses, but I am wondering if Boston is still handing out interview invites? Why are they keeping my application so long (complete end of September) if they are just going to reject me at the last possible moment??? :eek:

Thanks! One more question, were you finished early b/c the interviews were in the afternoon and are at random? Or was everyone finished around the same time?

Thanks! One more question, were you finished early b/c the interviews were in the afternoon and are at random? Or was everyone finished around the same time?

I think everyone finishes at the same time. You tour and stuff after the interview.

Everyone finishes back at the main admissions room for a final small talk I believe on finances. My day ended quite earlier than they suggested it would.

Sorry to interrupt this intriguing conversation on food and living expenses, but I am wondering if Boston is still handing out interview invites? Why are they keeping my application so long (complete end of September) if they are just going to reject me at the last possible moment??? :eek:

haha, if it makes you feel better, i was complete early sept and still haven't heard anything. i'm not sure what to think, since i definitely know people who were complete later and have gotten invited, but bu isn't hesitant to axe applicants so we must still be around for *some* reason.

haha, if it makes you feel better, i was complete early sept and still haven't heard anything. i'm not sure what to think, since i definitely know people who were complete later and have gotten invited, but bu isn't hesitant to axe applicants so we must still be around for *some* reason.

+1
complete in september
still waiting to hear

super excited for my interview this wednesday (1/27). anyone else gonna be interviewing then? i know ishchayill will be as well.

I interviewed at BU and I wasn't very impressed at all, but many people say they love it. What am I not seeing? What exactly do you guys like about BU more than what's offered at other schools?

So i was complete 10/30, haven't heard anything from them, haven't been rejcted..... the interview season ends 2/15, so now would be the time for an update letter right?

anyone complete around taht time and get an interview?

normally don't like to bump myself, but i'm just wondering........

I am seriously considering sending a letter saying 'i am very interested and such can i have an interview plz kthxbai'

but a little more formal than that.

normally don't like to bump myself, but i'm just wondering........

I am seriously considering sending a letter saying 'i am very interested and such can i have an interview plz kthxbai'

but a little more formal than that.

go for it, it wont hurt your chances if its well written and if you have the time, good luck :luck:

I interviewed at BU and I wasn't very impressed at all, but many people say they love it. What am I not seeing? What exactly do you guys like about BU more than what's offered at other schools?

I thought the same thing.

Then again, I'm a sucker for shiny new things, which BU certainly isn't. The one thing that is keeping BU in the running for me is their open door policy - I'm also a sucker for altruism.

Status
Not open for further replies.