2009-2010 Duke Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With all this speculation about when Duke is going to start sending out letters, we should start a pool or something. Everyone guess what the date will be and we will see who is right! It can be a rejection letter date, waitlist letter date or acceptance letter date.

I'm thinking....March 15th waitlist letter.
I don't need to win in that poll, all I need is to get into Duke!:D:D:D

Members don't see this ad.

I don't wanna get the small pitty white letter.:(

As long as my news comes in the snail mail, I can hardly care for the color. :)

I do hope they don't send their rejections in multiple waves. That would really suck - imagine celebrating after seeing that you didn't get the bad news and then oops, you were just later in line.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as my news comes in the snail mail, I can hardly care for the color. :)

I do hope they don't send their rejections in multiple waves. That would really suck - imagine celebrating after seeing that you didn't get the bad news and then oops, you were just later in line.
What I meant was, the good news usually come in big envelop, while the bad news usually comes with a small regular envelop.

What I meant was, the good news usually come in big envelop, while the bad news usually comes with a small regular envelop.

I know, I was just making a joke because Duke sends their bad news via email. =P Sorry if it wasn't funny...

I hope they just email all acceptances/WL/rejection decisions. I dont ever get any mail in Canada and if I do it takes a month or two.

yeah tell me about it...I'm gonna be really jittery when this thread comes alive with acceptances/rejections/WL and I haven't heard anything because of the delay in getting mail to Canada

I honestly don't know why trees have to die over this nonsense. Acceptance or not, just send an e-mail.

yeah tell me about it...I'm gonna be really jittery when this thread comes alive with acceptances/rejections/WL and I haven't heard anything because of the delay in getting mail to Canada

Just assume you got accepted if you don't get the email. =P Then again, don't drop your other acceptances until you get the snail mail...

Last year, Duke said decisions would go out March 6th. Waitlists and rejections came out March 13th (emails), and acceptances a few days later (snail mail).

I got this information from last year's thread. I think this is why a lot of us are guessing mid-March instead of the first week of March decision date that Duke is giving.

According to the dashboard page on Duke's status site, all decisions are being mailed by the U.S. Postal service this year.

For what it's worth, I was recently informed by the admissions office that they intend to send out decisions (via snail mail) by the end of the first week of March.

Good luck to all!

For what it's worth, I was recently informed by the admissions office that they intend to send out decisions (via snail mail) by the end of the first week of March.

Good luck to all!

Sounds like mid-March to me then... yay California. :/ Of course, given the odds I'll probably just get an email. :(

Sounds like mid-March to me then... yay California. :/ Of course, given the odds I'll probably just get an email. :(

Boooo snail mail. UPS (not USPS) maintains a ground delivery map to estimate delivery times between zip codes...all I got from it was that if USPS runs anything like UPS (actually I think it's usually worse), we're screwed out here in CA :(. We'll be sitting on our thumbs out here for 5 days while everyone else opens their pretty packages.

Here, for the other neurotics/google impaired: http://www.ups.com/maps?loc=en_US.

At least we're not as screwed as bannie up there in Canada...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Boooo snail mail. UPS (not USPS) maintains a ground delivery map to estimate delivery times between zip codes...all I got from it was that if USPS runs anything like UPS (actually I think it's usually worse), we're screwed out here in CA :(. We'll be sitting on our thumbs out here for 5 days while everyone else opens their pretty packages.

Here, for the other neurotics/google impaired: http://www.ups.com/maps?loc=en_US.

At least we're not as screwed as bannie up there in Canada...:laugh:

Thanks, BU's acceptance mail took 1month and 20days, and it was kinda like priority... like hard evenlope and all. looolz. (not the normal white ones)

just goes to show that when u put two negatives together (USPS and Canadapost) you dont get a positive.

Thanks, BU's acceptance mail took 1month and 20days, and it was kinda like priority... like hard evenlope and all. looolz. (not the normal white ones)

just goes to show that when u put two negatives together (USPS and Canadapost) you dont get a positive.

Haha well, it means you have a legitimate reason to call them!

Interviewed today, and I think one of the Duke students at lunch is on SDN. I'm pretty sure I've read a poster here saying their husband goes to UNC?

Interviewed today, and I think one of the Duke students at lunch is on SDN. I'm pretty sure I've read a poster here saying their husband goes to UNC?
I've been outed!

I hope you had an excellent interview day. Let me know if you have any other questions. ;)

Besides, I'm hideously unattractive. And don't forget it!

Don't be outrageous, Burnsie. The real question is whether you will be around in the fall or you will be radiology-ing it up somewhere else (or transitional year-ing it up at least).

PS: I sent you a facebook message.

:banana:

I hope you had an excellent interview day. Let me know if you have any other questions. ;)
Will do. Thanks so much for volunteering to answer questions during lunch, although I guess you did get a free sandwich out of it haha. I have to say that I had a lot of hesitations about how Duke's curriculum would affect students, but the first-years seemed no less stressed than at any other school and the students as a whole were pretty cheery. I was impressed.

any updates on release date? its technically 8 days, but we all know it will be delayed... till when?

Remember guys. Keep thinking those bad thoughts. ie. "I'm not getting in and don't want to anyway." "Why did I even waste my time with all those application essays?" "What an awful place. I don't even want to get accepted here." "I'd rather live with my mom for another year than go to this place.", etc etc.

Remember guys. Keep thinking those bad thoughts. ie. "I'm not getting in and don't want to anyway." "Why did I even waste my time with all those application essays?" "What an awful place. I don't even want to get accepted here." "I'd rather live with my mom for another year than go to this place.", etc etc.

Haha I am divided between pessimism/having no expectations whatsoever and that new age "crap" about the impact of positive thinking

We should form three groups: one with pessimistic thinking, one with positive thinking, and one no thinking. I'll do the statistics, we'll write a paragraph each, and we can try to get a publication out of this :laugh:

We should form three groups: one with pessimistic thinking, one with positive thinking, and one no thinking. I'll do the statistics, we'll write a paragraph each, and we can try to get a publication out of this :laugh:
I will be in the group with brain death.=> no thoughts.

we should randomize and stratify too. :)

you need a hypothesis. :confused:

:D:D

are we looking for ...
different types of thinking leads to different colour of letter
different types of thinking leads to different death rate post notification?

PAS login page was updated this morning. Not much useful information yet, except a reminder to update our email accounts (so maybe some notifications will again be going out via email) by March 1st. But enough to make my neurosis officially begin...it starting to get real around here.

PAS login page was updated this morning. Not much useful information yet, except a reminder to update our email accounts (so maybe some notifications will again be going out via email) by March 1st. But enough to make my neurosis officially begin...it starting to get real around here.
Mine says:
Interview Complete

Your application is complete and is awaiting a final decision from the Committee on Admissions. All decisions for applicants who have interviewed for admission to the 2010 entering class are sent via the U.S. Postal Service and will be mailed from the Office of Admissions during the month of March 2010. To insure your privacy and to protect the integrity of the admission process, decisions will not be given over the telephone. We appreciate your interest in the Duke University School of Medicine and wish you the best of luck!

Is this the same msg you all have?

It's the login page (the one where you actually type in your name and password) that's changed. Not the one that shows up once you've logged in.

It's the login page (the one where you actually type in your name and password) that's changed. Not the one that shows up once you've logged in.
oh yeah sorry my b mine says that on the login page (didn't look at the context of archimedes question)

I just interviewed on Friday, the last day of interviews for the season. They told us they plan to mail out letters around March 1st, thus we should know by the end of the first week of March.

I loved Duke so much! It quickly rose to the top of my list. Good luck everyone!

I just interviewed on Friday, the last day of interviews for the season. They told us they plan to mail out letters around March 1st, thus we should know by the end of the first week of March.

I loved Duke so much! It quickly rose to the top of my list. Good luck everyone!

Did you hear that date from Dr. Armstrong? Last yet the same thing was stated and it was delayed for weeks.

You are getting my hopes up :) good luck!

Will do. Thanks so much for volunteering to answer questions during lunch, although I guess you did get a free sandwich out of it haha. I have to say that I had a lot of hesitations about how Duke's curriculum would affect students, but the first-years seemed no less stressed than at any other school and the students as a whole were pretty cheery. I was impressed.

First years i stayed with clearly thought it was very hard. But, they seemed happy here. i love their curriculum.

Totally on bannie, need a hypothesis... but i havent read far enough back to know what we're talking about. :D

Did you hear that date from Dr. Armstrong? Last yet the same thing was stated and it was delayed for weeks.

You are getting my hopes up :) good luck!

Yeah, that's the approximate date we got from Dr. Armstrong.

1 in 5!!!! All the best. 4 days left till March 1st.. if they do emails.

Hey guys, hate to burst people's bubbles, but last Friday was not actually the last day of the interview season. Personally, I had my Skype interview with Dr. Armstrong on Monday (yesterday) morning--and she told me I wasn't the last to be interviewed.

I asked her at the end of my interview about what the timeline from here on out would look like, and she said that all interviews up until Monday would go to committee today. However, she mentioned that there were still people on the schedule to interview up until the end of this week over Skype. While the people interviewing at the end of this week may hear back slightly after the rest of us apparently, she mentioned that in general they were currently on schedule to release most decisions on March 6th.

Hence, get ready for another few days of stomach churning uncertainty...ugh..

Hey guys, hate to burst people's bubbles, but last Friday was not actually the last day of the interview season. Personally, I had my Skype interview with Dr. Armstrong on Monday (yesterday) morning--and she told me I wasn't the last to be interviewed.

I asked her at the end of my interview about what the timeline from here on out would look like, and she said that all interviews up until Monday would go to committee today. However, she mentioned that there were still people on the schedule to interview up until the end of this week over Skype. While the people interviewing at the end of this week may hear back slightly after the rest of us apparently, she mentioned that in general they were currently on schedule to release most decisions on March 6th.

Hence, get ready for another few days of stomach churning uncertainty...ugh..

thankfully, i fell asleep right in front of the deanie while she gave the morning introductions or whatever for what seemed like 8 hours, so its not all that uncertain for me (i knew that before the interview too). good luck to everyone hoping to go to duke :luck:

thankfully, i fell asleep right in front of the deanie while she gave the morning introductions or whatever for what seemed like 8 hours, so its not all that uncertain for me (i knew that before the interview too). good luck to everyone hoping to go to duke :luck:

Someone did this on my interview day too. :laugh:

In all fairness, that speech did seem to last forever.

Has anyone sent a post-interview letter of intent or letter of interest? Would it be advisable at this point? Thanks!

Has anyone sent a post-interview letter of intent or letter of interest? Would it be advisable at this point? Thanks!

I would assume that most post-interview decision have been made at this point...unless you just interviewed in the past week.

Hold tight and wait. That would be my advice.

I would assume that most post-interview decision have been made at this point...unless you just interviewed in the past week.

Hold tight and wait. That would be my advice.

I believe Duke does admissions by counting points so it's impossible for decisions to be made without all interviews being completed.

<speculation>That being said, I don't know if interest is really factored into your score... but I supposed it really can't hurt. Maybe it's most effective for people who have been waitlisted?</speculation>

pins and needles my friends.
we shall suffer only a little more.

I believe Duke does admissions by counting points so it's impossible for decisions to be made without all interviews being completed.

<speculation>That being said, I don't know if interest is really factored into your score... but I supposed it really can't hurt. Maybe it's most effective for people who have been waitlisted?</speculation>

Yes they do have a point systems....but that doesn't mean they have not counted all of your points already and given you a "score".......which would mean that if you interviewed a long time ago your score has been determined. Then around March 1st they set an "admit score" and accept/reject accordingly. I really doubt they wait till March 1st to review EVERY applicant and score each one. If my SPECULATIONS are true then writing a LOI at this point (if you interviewed more than a couple weeks ago) would most likely not impact your admission decision.

Besides......they know we all LOVE Duke. :love::love::love:

Again, this post is a total speculation. But looking at the sheer amount of interviews / files / essays, I would assume that most of us have a determined "score" by now.

Good luck to everybody :luck::xf::luck::xf:

Yes they do have a point systems....but that doesn't mean they have not counted all of your points already and given you a "score".......which would mean that if you interviewed a long time ago your score has been determined. Then around March 1st they set an "admit score" and accept/reject accordingly. I really doubt they wait till March 1st to review EVERY applicant and score each one. If my SPECULATIONS are true then writing a LOI at this point (if you interviewed more than a couple weeks ago) would most likely not impact your admission decision.

Besides......they know we all LOVE Duke. :love::love::love:

Again, this post is a total speculation. But looking at the sheer amount of interviews / files / essays, I would assume that most of us have a determined "score" by now.

Good luck to everybody :luck::xf::luck::xf:

I would tend to agree with your speculation. Although, I thought they gave out acceptances based on a "rank" of sorts; after everyone is assigned a score, the top ~100 are given acceptances, the next ~100 are given waitlists, and everyone below them is rejected. Those numbers are completely approximate (I'm hoping they actually send out more than 100 acceptances initially, but I don't know the exact number). Are you sure about the "admit score" thing? Not that it really changes much, but I guess the rank system would make it seem more like you're competing against everyone else to be the best, while the "admit score" idea would make it more on you to score the best you possibly could, and in theory everyone who scored above that certain cut would be in.

I would tend to agree with your speculation. Although, I thought they gave out acceptances based on a "rank" of sorts; after everyone is assigned a score, the top ~100 are given acceptances, the next ~100 are given waitlists, and everyone below them is rejected. Those numbers are completely approximate (I'm hoping they actually send out more than 100 acceptances initially, but I don't know the exact number). Are you sure about the "admit score" thing? Not that it really changes much, but I guess the rank system would make it seem more like you're competing against everyone else to be the best, while the "admit score" idea would make it more on you to score the best you possibly could, and in theory everyone who scored above that certain cut would be in.

Totally not sure about the "admit score". I was basically trying to articulate the theory and show that we all most likely have "decision" that has been determined. Logistically it would be VERY difficult to interview everybody and THEN rank/accept.

Whatever the system, I think that most of us have a decision. Now let's cross our fingers :xf: and hope that it involves a BIG envelope with the word "Congratulations". :luck: :love::love::love::luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.