2010-2011 University of Arizona Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You should. Although, admittedly, I would just get you to come help me finish this project that's driving me crazy in lab...my undergrads have weak lab skills, so I can't push anything off on them.

But, the project's almost done, and you can have second author...er, second first author (can people do that?).

I hear that. I was babysitting undergrads all summer and it was like negative work was getting done. The sun and warm weather sound so good right now. Need a tertiary first author...lol???

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anyone with acceptances still waiting on U of A? I mean, lol, you can't tell me they don't reject people because they think they will get into better schools!

At this point I hope U of A doesn't send me an acceptance because I got tired of waiting for them and will go to a different school now. I guess I will update later.

You should. Although, admittedly, I would just get you to come help me finish this project that's driving me crazy in lab...my undergrads have weak lab skills, so I can't push anything off on them.

But, the project's almost done, and you can have second author...er, second first author (can people do that?).

My background is addiction, but I'd love to jump in on some kind of cancer research. I'm sure it's all quite similar-wait, cancer DOES have a lot to do with the extended amygdala, right? and MMPs?

Oh undergrads...how many times have you seen them pipette horizontally?

Members don't see this ad :)
My background is addiction, but I'd love to jump in on some kind of cancer research. I'm sure it's all quite similar-wait, cancer DOES have a lot to do with the extended amygdala, right? and MMPs?

Oh undergrads...how many times have you seen them pipette horizontally?

....and past horizontal to upside down...and contaminating an entire sterile field...and producing Rorschach-like Westerns....Good times!

....and past horizontal to upside down...and contaminating an entire sterile field...and producing Rorschach-like Westerns....Good times!

Aw, doesn't sound like there's much love for undergrads around here, haha

Rorschach-like westerns, I love it. That's exactly what my skin samples do for just about every antibody I have.

Aw, doesn't sound like there's much love for undergrads around here, haha

Lol...they are great and I enjoy teaching...I am just cherishing the last bit of not being the totally clueless one...I have a feeling karma will come back around in the next couple years!

lol...they are great and i enjoy teaching...i am just cherishing the last bit of not being the totally clueless one...i have a feeling karma will come back around in the next couple years!

+1

Everyone on SDN can be a first author, just help me get this Sh** done. :)

Also, so wait, I get that you're not supposed to pipette horizontally...but what about putting the wrong pipette tips on your pipettor...they're all the same right?

Anyways, the afternoon is passing by, and I wish everyone the best of luck. Perhaps it would make better sense if we scheduled the drinks for another time, when we're all M1's at UA.

Alright, I'm checking in here for the main event! :D Let's get some of us in at Phoenix tonight...if we do end up making a meet-up happen, first round of celebratory shots will be on me! :)

alrighty, its officially the late afternoon...5pm AZ time
the emails should be rolling soon

Everyone on SDN can be a first author, just help me get this Sh** done. :)

Also, so wait, I get that you're not supposed to pipette horizontally...but what about putting the wrong pipette tips on your pipettor...they're all the same right?

Anyways, the afternoon is passing by, and I wish everyone the best of luck. Perhaps it would make better sense if we scheduled the drinks for another time, when we're all M1's at UA.

They are the same...just jam any ol' tip on there. ;)

I think drinks when we are all one big happy class sounds great!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any acceptances yet?
Not looking so hot...the emails have historically gone out between 5:00-5:45, although one person last round received his/her email at around 7:00. Maybe they are hotly debating given this is the last round of outright acceptances :xf: or maybe it just wasn't our year for PHX. :( Either way, good luck to all, it was a long week and I'm going to plant myself firmly in front of the TV for a movie with the gf now. I will return if my phone chimes with good news. :)

And hey, even though I don't post much, I have been following this thread most of the application year, and it has been humbling to hear about how qualified all of you are. I hope some (or all) of you get your acceptance because you each certainly deserve it! Talk soon!

Not looking so hot...the emails have historically gone out between 5:00-5:45, although one person last round received his/her email at around 7:00. Maybe they are hotly debating given this is the last round of outright acceptances :xf: or maybe it just wasn't our year for PHX. :( Either way, good luck to all, it was a long week and I'm going to plant myself firmly in front of the TV for a movie with the gf now. I will return if my phone chimes with good news. :)

And hey, even though I don't post much, I have been following this thread most of the application year, and it has been humbling to hear about how qualified all of you are. I hope some (or all) of you get your acceptance because you each certainly deserve it! Talk soon!

You too, bud!

Anyone hear anything yet?
I'm not sure if any time past 6:30PM counts as "early evening." Oh well, there is still Tucson and if not Tucson, hello master's program!

word
on the on hand, i cant wait for an SDNr to to post that they got accepted... but on the other hand i dread it

it is hard to wait for something, especially at an undisclosed length of time

Anyone hear anything yet?
I'm not sure if any time past 6:30PM counts as "early evening." Oh well, there is still Tucson and if not Tucson, hello master's program!

Then you can join several other SDNers here in "fun in publishing...errrr trying to publish...lol". Seriously, my greatest hopes everyone gets good news either tonight or next week!

Very kind words! I second your thoughts - this is a wonderful group and I would love for everyone to be class mates.

Neurojunkie...if you get any takers on tag teaming research...can you pass them along when you are done? I have been "benched" from lab work (I just judged myself for that pun) since my shoulder surgery a couple weeks ago...so it has been review writing for me.

Fingers still crossed for all you PHXers still waiting. I am not sure if waiting until next week for Tucson is easier or harder...oh well...we continue to wait - I hope to read good news on here soon :).

:xf:

I console myself with the fact that so many people are pulled from the wait list. :scared:

it seems that a large amount of people are pulled from the wait list

what probably happened tonight was it got too late. they'll prolly send them out tomorrow. its either that, or they accepted such a small group of people that none are in SDN.

When are they supposed to send out the next wave of admissions from Tucson?

what probably happened tonight was it got too late. they'll prolly send them out tomorrow. its either that, or they accepted such a small group of people that none are in SDN.

Hah wouldn't it be nice for it to be the former. Just wake up to a nice e-mail first thing in the morning.

One of the people who are already accepted could probably check the accepted list on the status site...

One thing I've wondered is that in the last years the pool was between both PHX and UA campuses. If you were accepted to both you had to drop one. Would that have had any influence to inflate wait list numbers?

When are they supposed to send out the next wave of admissions from Tucson?

I believe it is March 1st. I think someone on here called a bit ago and posted the exact date - you could go back through the thread, but I am fairly sure it is March 1st(ish) for acceptances, then the 6th (ish) for WL. Again, that is just from memory, so it may be slightly off.

One thing I've wondered is that in the last years the pool was between both PHX and UA campuses. If you were accepted to both you had to drop one. Would that have had any influence to inflate wait list numbers?

You're right. At Tucson they said that they took about 50 people off their wait list because they do pull from the same pool. That is the reason there is such a large amount of people taken from the WL.

So does that mean it's more likely that 30-40 spots will be bumped up to accepted, rather than 60-70 this year?

what will that do?

They can tell us if anyone has been accepted today yet so then we could all give up for the day and wait until March 4th for Phoenix or to hear from Tucson next week. I think the ctrl and R keys on my keyboard are going to wear out.

So does that mean it's more likely that 30-40 spots will be bumped up to accepted, rather than 60-70 this year?

I don't see why it would be any different from last year. They are still pulling from a pool with the same amount of crossover. The advisor from Tucson said that if you were in the top 50 on their WL you should be in good shape.

It is still the case that if you are accepted to both campuses, you must choose only one spot to hold.

Sorry for posting so late everyone, I received my acceptance E-mail today around 3:30.

Good luck to everyone!

One of the people who are already accepted could probably check the accepted list on the status site...

The status page for accepted students has in fact been updated and I checked real quick and saw a couple new names - not sure how many. Obviously I don't know your names and it is possible that emails will go out late.

As has already been pointed out, I am impressed with all the stats you guys have thrown out, I really think you will hear from Tucson outright. But if not you have to believe a lot of SDNers will get pulled from the waitlist. At least that's the way it should be.

Good luck!

Edit: So, nevermind about the late email part, but the rest still stands

Last edited:
The status page for accepted students has in fact been updated and I checked real quick and saw a couple new names - not sure how many. Obviously I don't know your names and it is possible that emails will go out late.

As has already been pointed out, I am impressed with all the stats you guys have thrown out, I really think you will hear from Tucson outright. But if not you have to believe a lot of SDNers will get pulled from the waitlist. At least that's the way it should be.

Good luck!

Edit: So, nevermind about the late email part, but the rest still stands

How can you check out the status page for the list of accepted applicant names? Is that only available to accepted students?

ACCEPTED yesterday to Phoenix!! Got the email with the video... is this followed by a snail mail with instructions??

Congrats on those acceptances! Anyone know what the breakdown of # interviews vs. Acceptances?

Thanks. And ouch...<9% IS acceptance rate (and wasn't the OOS acceptance limit increased this year?). Not even sure why I bothered to refresh my email over and over last night.

I heard they might want to increase the OOSers this year... i wonder how many OOSers they interviewed.

and to all like me who are still waiting on the good word, have hope in the waitlist
:luck:

The numbers above must be the number of acceptances handed out at any given time, not the total number released during the season, because they equal the class size -- and chances are that not everyone who was accepted decided to matriculate.

I am an OOS applicant still holding on to dear hope for a waitlist spot to PHX. I was wondering if any PHX students experienced this last year and if they were told a percentage of students that got in off the list.... Any input and advice on if there is hope remaining would be absolutely wonderful!

Thanks :) And good luck to everyone else. You all seem very qualified and fun!! I hope to one day be future classmates. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.