2023-2024 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People who have recently gotten IIs, did you have a campus preference on your app?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you say that helps or hurts one's case to get an II?
Anecdotal but I completed my secondary in October, put no campus preference and already interviewed. I had pretty low stats but maybe they liked other parts of my application, maybe having no campus preference helped, or maybe it was all random.

Reactions: 1 users
Anecdotal but I completed my secondary in October, put no campus preference and already interviewed. I had pretty low stats but maybe they liked other parts of my application, maybe having no campus preference helped, or maybe it was all random.
Yeah I wonder if submitting your secondary early/late matters. I submitted my primary and secondary pretty late, also with low stats. So I'm not sure if I'll even get an interview this cycle :(

For thise who haven't got an II, are you thinking of putting in an early application at least for this next cycle?

Yeah I wonder if submitting your secondary early/late matters. I submitted my primary and secondary pretty late, also with low stats. So I'm not sure if I'll even get an interview this cycle :(
I honestly don't know if it matters that much because I submitted my secondary in mid-February and received an II a month later. I am currently on the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all! Just wanted to jump back in to say that the possible last II date is in early June. I only remember this distinctively because I signed up to be one of the student panel reps. (But the date hasn't been confirmed)

As of this point, I just wanted to let some of y'all know that are still waiting for an II that time is running out/already ran out due to the full list of interviewees on the last II date. Please plan accordingly in terms of reapplying if needed.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all! Just wanted to jump back in to say that the possible last II date is in early June. I only remember this distinctively because I signed up to be one of the student panel reps. (But the date hasn't been confirmed)

As of this point, I just wanted to let some of y'all know that are still waiting for an II that time is running out/already ran out due to the full list of interviewees on the last II date. Please plan accordingly in terms of reapplying if needed.
CONGRATS!!

Thanks for the update! Do you know if Burrell sends out rejection emails saying to reapply if they don’t give you a II?

I interviewed on 3/12 and was waitlisted two weeks later. Hoping there is still a chance for me. You can't use FAFSA for the Florida campus, which is kind of a bummer, but I would still go there in a heartbeat.

For those of us who haven't gotten an interview yet, should we just give up on this cycle and consider reapplying to Burrell next cycle? I also uploaded a letter of interest on my portal.

For those of us who haven't gotten an interview yet, should we just give up on this cycle and consider reapplying to Burrell next cycle? I also uploaded a letter of interest on my portal.
I interviewed a few weeks ago and when I set mine up I think the last available date (for me to see at least) was this week. They may have added more, but this is just what I saw when I scheduled!

I think it depends on your situation. In my case, I’m nontrad/ORM, have a low MCAT, and this is my second cycle with no IIs. I have spent so much time, effort, and money on these past two cycles, but if I don’t end up with an II from Burrell, I am unsure if it’s feasible for me to reapply again because I am older and need a stable career path for the sake of myself and my family, which is devastating.

Because of my situation, I called yesterday to check on my app and spoke to two people. The person who answered the phone said they’re interviewing until the beginning of June. The person my call was redirected to said they’re interviewing until the end of May. So, I don’t think they have an established final interview day, but it’s very near.

If you are a trad applicant, young, don’t have a family, and are okay with doing another cycle in general, yeah, I think you should begin focusing on reapplying. The sense that I got was that there are very few IIs left to go out. Definitely focus on reapplying at this point in the game if it is feasible to do so.

Is it too late to submit a secondary for this school?
2023 – 2024 Cycle Application Schedule

• Primary application service: AACOMASone designation for Burrell College
  • Earliest application submission date: Opening Date of AACOMAS (5/4/2023)
  • Primary application deadline: 4/12/2024
  • Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their secondary applications and supporting materials by April 16th, 2024. Those submitted between April 16th, 2024 and July 8th, 2024 may still be considered for review for the incoming class of 2028.
  • Virtual Interviews Conducted

I think it depends on your situation. In my case, I’m nontrad/ORM, have a low MCAT, and this is my second cycle with no IIs. I have spent so much time, effort, and money on these past two cycles, but if I don’t end up with an II from Burrell, I am unsure if it’s feasible for me to reapply again because I am older and need a stable career path for the sake of myself and my family, which is devastating.

Because of my situation, I called yesterday to check on my app and spoke to two people. The person who answered the phone said they’re interviewing until the beginning of June. The person my call was redirected to said they’re interviewing until the end of May. So, I don’t think they have an established final interview day, but it’s very near.

If you are a trad applicant, young, don’t have a family, and are okay with doing another cycle in general, yeah, I think you should begin focusing on reapplying. The sense that I got was that there are very few IIs left to go out. Definitely focus on reapplying at this point in the game if it is feasible to do so.
Sorry about your situation. It’s still not the end, you can still get an II in the near future! I understand it’s easier said than done but don’t lose hope if this is truly your calling. May I ask what you’ve done between your first time applying and your second? By low do you mean low 490s? Just trying to see if there’s any advice/help I can give.

Sorry about your situation. It’s still not the end, you can still get an II in the near future! I understand it’s easier said than done but don’t lose hope if this is truly your calling. May I ask what you’ve done between your first time applying and your second? By low do you mean low 490s? Just trying to see if there’s any advice/help I can give.

Thank you for caring—I appreciate it! I’ve spoken with my mentors, members of adcoms, friends who are practicing MDs/DOs, friends who are currently finishing up med school, etc., so I am grateful for all the input I’ve received throughout the years, and I appreciate your kind words and thoughtfulness, too. I’m trying to avoid getting too specific on here, so you can message me if you’d like. Thanks again.

Will more than likely be withdrawing my A soon. Wishing you all the best of luck !!!

Reactions: 3 users

I feel that I could really empathize with your situation. Can I personally message you?

I want to encourage you not to lose hope. I am non-trad, in my 40s, have a family, an immigrant with a low MCAT score. I took MCAT 3 times actually and I almost didn't want to apply this cycle. It was my younger sister who encouraged me to apply so I selected schools based on their MCAT score requirement. Burrell was the first school I got accepted, then another school and another school. I ended up with options to choose from. So, be optimistic and if it does not work out this time, I would encourage you to try again

Reactions: 3 users
Does the Burrell Ambassadors account here have more info about how the WL works? It seems like it's unranked and random

there are 149 people in the FL BCOM discord. That includes a few staff and current med students (probably about 7-8), so closer to 141 students in the discord
Oh wow!!! BCOM FL campus Discord already has 140+? Wonder if the other Florida school OCOM (inaugural class) is Full too? Not much info about OCOM.

Oh wow!!! BCOM FL campus Discord already has 140+? Wonder if the other Florida school OCOM (inaugural class) is Full too? Not much info about OCOM.
From what it seems, OCOM does not look full, they're still trying to fill their 98 (?) seats for their inaugural class. I got off their waitlist recently, but I ended up turning down the A.

From what it seems, OCOM does not look full, they're still trying to fill their 98 (?) seats for their inaugural class. I got off their waitlist recently, but I ended up turning down the A.
That’s what happens when you have a minimum 500 MCAT for a brand new school… SMH