2023-2024 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my A for MD + LEAD, good luck y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else feel like the wait for WL movement is never-ending?

Reactions: 6 users
Supposedly it has to do with FAFSA delays.

The latest delay for the 2024-2025 FAFSA is the result of errors in updating the indexing formula for the Student Aid Index (SAI), a figure used to determine how much aid students qualify for. Starting with the 2024-2025 school year, the SAI replaced the Expected Family Contribution calculation and is supposed to reflect cost changes by adjusting for inflation.

However, in its initial calculation, the Department of Education didn't account for inflation (welp go figure). Without that adjustment, students would be qualifying for much less assistance. The fix is estimated to open up an additional $1.8 billion in student aid.

So basically:
A federal error means some applications are now having to be reprocessed --> This delays accurate student financial information being reported to institutions --> Institutions will be significantly delayed creating financial aid packages for students --> Currently accepted students' decisions to matriculate/decline acceptance are delayed until they can receive and review financial aid offers --> WL movement is delayed
(woohoo domino effect)

FAFSA apps generally take up to 3 weeks to process, the wave of WL-->A may well be delayed to later this month :confused:

I do agree though - the wait is rough.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Supposedly it has to do with FAFSA delays.

The latest delay for the 2024-2025 FAFSA is the result of errors in updating the indexing formula for the Student Aid Index (SAI), a figure used to determine how much aid students qualify for. Starting with the 2024-2025 school year, the SAI replaced the Expected Family Contribution calculation and is supposed to reflect cost changes by adjusting for inflation.

However, in its initial calculation, the Department of Education didn't account for inflation (welp go figure). Without that adjustment, students would be qualifying for much less assistance. The fix is estimated to open up an additional $1.8 billion in student aid.

So basically:
A federal error means some applications are now having to be reprocessed --> This delays accurate student financial information being reported to institutions --> Institutions will be significantly delayed creating financial aid packages for students --> Currently accepted students' decisions to matriculate/decline acceptance are delayed until they can receive and review financial aid offers --> WL movement is delayed
(woohoo domino effect)

FAFSA apps generally take up to 3 weeks to process, the wave of WL-->A may well be delayed to later this month :confused:

I do agree though - the wait is rough.
Thanks so much for laying this all out in detail, it's very appreciated! I feel like I can (anxiously) relax and check my portal less frequently.

Reactions: 1 user