This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
IM IN! Call me Rory!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Got the A too! :) Pardon my neuroticism lol, but do you know if there is a non-binding option for us to acknowledge our acceptance? It seems like the only response options are the binding commit/plan to commit.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Got the A too! :) Pardon my neuroticism lol, but do you know if there is a non-binding option for us to acknowledge our acceptance? It seems like the only response options are the binding commit/plan to commit.
not sure, under the Your Decision section, it says

"All accepted applicants have until end of day April 30, 2024 to make a final decision regarding where they will matriculate. If you have made a final decision before this date, we encourage you to communicate this information to us as soon as possible via the options below."

so I kind of read it as we don't need to submit any of the options until we make a final decision, but I definitely could be wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Any current students in here that can answer some questions I have plz?? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we need to submit IDOC for financial aid? What exactly is needed? It’s very confusing
Don’t know what IDOC is but I agree that everything about their aid application is incredibly confusing. There’s a checklist on the website that I found helpful. The financial aid office helped when I emailed a question too

Just to make sure, we don't have an offer acceptance to submit do we?

does anyone know when WL movement begins?
Most likely early May, since students aren’t forced to narrow down their options until April 30, so schools don’t know how many students they have planning to enroll and thus how many they can afford to start pulling off the waitlist.

can people who were at second look give a summary of the vibe and people’s overall intention to commit? Asking for us WL folk lol 🙏🏽

Vibes were pretty solid overall! There were a good mix of social vs academic/community activities (anatomy lab, panels, small group discussions). LOTS of interaction with faculty, med students (of all years), some alumni. Faculty definitely seem very accessible and receptive to connecting with students. Med students were, not surprisingly, pretty relaxed and happy. Had only positive things to say about their experience. Social activities were fun - not cliquey at all, many people jumped around between groups. A lot of M1s and admits went out together to the bars/club both nights after the social events.

As for people's intent, most seemed like they were deciding between Yale and other T10s, many T5s, so most were uncommitted at the time. Groupme has about 190 admits as of now, about 15-20 ppl have left over the last two weeks. Will update as we get closer to 4/30

Reactions: 3 users
can people who were at second look give a summary of the vibe and people’s overall intention to commit? Asking for us WL folk lol 🙏🏽
Don't have a reference point to compare it to, but vibes were good. It seemed the current students really did love Yale and were selling it even when admin wasn't watching. Only a few people were either 100% committed to Yale or leaning against Yale. Most people seemed leaning slightly to heavily towards Yale or were 50/50 though there may be some reporting bias with people not wanting to seem uninterested in Yale while they were at the events. I think I saw earlier on this thread or somewhere else there's roughly 30 people that get pulled off the WL each year?

Just withdrew my A - good luck to the WL

(Also for transparency since this is mentioned literally nowhere else, I received the YSM access scholarship which removes the $40k portion of the unit loan making it a full COA scholarship [apparently it is need-based, but you have to be selected for it] - sharing this primarily for future SDN generations)

• Care
^ if I remember correctly from the financial aid presentation at second look, there are 4 of those scholarships (or at least there were this year). Also just FYI for future people.

(Also for transparency since this is mentioned literally nowhere else, I received the YSM access scholarship which removes the $40k portion of the unit loan making it a full COA scholarship [apparently it is need-based, but you have to be selected for it] - sharing this primarily for future SDN generations)
Thank you for sharing, can I ask what were your reasons for not choosing Yale?

Thank you for sharing, can I ask what were your reasons for not choosing Yale?
Yeah, for sure! The biggest factor was location - I didn't really like New Haven, and it was def too cold for me. I also felt like it was kinda hard to fit in with the general student body of YSM (for me personally). Besides that, I liked literally everything else about the school!!!

• Love
I also withdrew! Good luck to all WLs ❤️ I personally had fun at the admit weekend but don't foresee myself wanting to pursue a 5th year/academia and see myself practicing in a bigger city. Yale is a very solid choice, but not for me!

• Care
  • Love

Can also confirm this indeed exists, though I didn't realize that people had to be chosen for it. I feel like it's also good to mention that if your parents make under I think like 125k, there is no expected parent contribution. At least this is what fin aid said

I’m honestly very confused with the financial aid program at YSM. I contacted the office and it still wasn’t clear to me. Does everyone receive financial aid to some capacity? And what are the income brackets under which one would or would not qualify for aid? What if parents do not want to help or can’t help even though the school thinks they can?

I’m honestly very confused with the financial aid program at YSM. I contacted the office and it still wasn’t clear to me. Does everyone receive financial aid to some capacity? And what are the income brackets under which one would or would not qualify for aid? What if parents do not want to help or can’t help even though the school thinks they can?
Tbh, only the fin aid office would be able to answer these questions. Financial aid includes loans, it's not just grants and scholarships. I imagine the vast majority of people qualify for financial aid, though they may not be getting any of those grants/scholarships, just loans.

Only Yale can tell you the income brackets. But, this is ignoring other things like assets, which I am positive they take into account. I imagine that if you and your parents make under like 125k and don't have crazy investments/assets, they will most likely give you at least some sort of grant in addition to loans. At least that was what was implied to us.

People on here are honestly a little out of touch. 125k is a s**t ton of money and that's not even including any assets. That's like the 70th percentile of household incomes across the US. Census data for the city of Boston (one of the most expensive cities in the US) shows that the median household income from 2022 was like 90k. If your family is making over 125k, they are well off compared to the majority of the people in the US.

It is truly unfortunate if parents are well off and don't want to help or can't help their kids for whatever reason, but I assure you that many poor students have costs that well-off families will never have to worry about. My partner's family, for example, will probably have around $50,000 saved when they retire. They cannot possibly survive off of that money, even with social security, and my partner will have to support their parents for the rest of their lives, including medical costs. In contrast, I would be surprised if most people's families on here are not planning on leaving their children with some sort of inheritance.

I work in Admissions with many well-off students who think they're middle class and I hear this all the time. There are many schools that I wish were more affordable; this is not one of them.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
A!!! Received the call yesterday. Very grateful. Best of luck to everyone on the WL!

• Love
I saw the groupme fluctuate between 132-135 the past few days so there potentially was some

Do you guys know about mstp movement by any chance?
I heard it is extremely unlikely MSTP will pull from waitlist this year. I asked the program leadership because I had to make a decision quickly for another program and was waiting on Yale MSTP waitlist. Wanted to share in case people are in a similar position as me, although it is a pretty sad news :(

Last edited:
I heard it is extremely unlikely MSTP will pull from waitlist this year. I heard from the program leadership because I had to make a decision quickly for another program and waiting on Yale MSTP waitlist. Wanted to share in case people are in a similar position as me, although it is a pretty sad news :(
That sucks. But we stay hopeful.

Had quite a few people leave and join the groupme the last couple days

Question: when they are done taking people from the waitlist, they let us know right?
I think they wait until day of matriculation. Technically anyone can drop until then. But if you commit to enroll elsewhere then they require us to cancel our wait list spot.