3.81 vs. 3.85

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ablumoon

=)
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I need some good old fashoined honesty. When applying to the top med schools, is there a big difference between a 3.81 and 3.85? How much does a .05 difference or so in gpa make in the big scheme of things? what about a b+ in an upper division science class? (molecular bio).

Members don't see this ad.

I would say have a glass of eggnog and chill. You are overthinking things! I seriously doubt that .04 GPA could make any difference at all. And most doctors have a B on thier transcript somewhere!

Unlike what you tend to read and hear, you do not have to have a 4.0/40+ MCAT to get into a good med school. Focus on the other important things, like having a social life and some good EC experience.

Theresa

I think you are answering your question (the "big scheme of things"...)

I think people will look at a 3.8x GPA and think, hey, that's a great GPA. This person did well academically. That is, if a decently rigorous courseload underlies it.

A B+ in an upper division bio? Again, it's more about the big picture. If there's some kind of trend of not doing so hot in bio, then it's an issue. Otherwise, doubt it.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a LOT of doctors AND medical students with (Heaven forbid)....C's....on their records as well. You'll be fine and no, it won't make a difference!

Good Luck!
:)

GPA doesnt matter at a certain level, its all about the MCAT (in terms of the stat-side of the application) once youre above a 3.6 or so.

Originally posted by ablumoon
Okay, I need some good old fashoined honesty. When applying to the top med schools, is there a big difference between a 3.81 and 3.85? How much does a .05 difference or so in gpa make in the big scheme of things? what about a b+ in an upper division science class? (molecular bio).

you've got to be kidding.

I knew this thread was gonna be ******ed yet I still bothered to read it.... I never learn.

I think that there's a equation, where if (x - y) =/= 0, then there is a difference between x and y. Is there a math major in the house?

seriously, if this is a concern you've been reading way too much sdn. :)

ablumoon,

Hard to tell if you are being serious - I'm sure the parody thread will be out by early next week.

Grab a copy of MSAR and check out the percentage of students who make it in with a 3.81 as compared to those with a 3.85. Their chances are virtually indistinguishable.

Originally posted by StrngoutAS
I knew this thread was gonna be ******ed yet I still bothered to read it.... I never learn.

SDN is full of syren posts like that. Just look at the views on some of the threads with ridiculous titles to see what I mean.

Originally posted by StrngoutAS

its a bad habit man... haha

All right, all right. I realize it was a stupid question. I guess with the uncertainty of medical school admissions, the uptight, nervous, amazingly anxiety-stricken side of premeds come out. sorry for the thread, but i'm trying to relieve some of my unncecessary anxiety through SDN. ;) Go relax and ENJOY your breaks. Thanks, guys.

Inhale.....exhale.... okay.

Don't stress. Many people with a GPA much lower are now doctors. Your MCAT, interview skills, personality, etc, will probably weigh more than the .04 grade point average difference.

Once you're going through the application process yourself, you'll find out how insignificent it is to post a thread about 3.81 vs. 3.85

;)

I would say have a glass of eggnog and chill.

mmm.... eggnog.
that reminds me of christmas a few years ago. my grandfather got up early and fixed himself a bowl of cereal, leaving the kitchen lights off so he wouldn't wake the rest of us (house had a central dinning area/kitchen with bedrooms around the perimeter, with glass doors). anyway, as he was eating the cereal he thought the milk was a little thick, but didn't realize until he was finished that he used the eggnog instead of the milk with his cereal!

Originally posted by ablumoon
... a 3.81 and 3.85? How much does a .05 difference or so ...

... errrr.... .04 ...

and you already know the answer to this question.

WorstThread

some people on SDN need to get laid. seriously.