4.0 GPA, 31R MCAT... having trouble deciding where all to apply...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abi246

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Kansas, so my only in-state option is the University of Kansas. I have a 4.0 GPA, and got a 31R on my MCAT (13BS, 10PS, and 8VR). So basically my verbal score is a pain in my application! I am involved as an RA in a clinical psychology research study along with a separate genetics research project, and was a CNA at a hospital for about 1 1/2 years. I feel like my application is competitive everywhere but my verbal score. (already taken the MCAT twice, not taking it again). So far, my list of schools to apply to is:

University of Kansas (obviously)
University of Iowa-Carver
University of Missouri
University of Colorado
St. Louis University
Baylor?
UCSF?

I just feel like some of these schools are out of my range for chances, especially since I will be OOS for everything but KU. I am just having issues figuring out where else to apply... whether it be more safety schools or some others that are more competitive.

What do you all think? Suggestions PLEASE?!?!? I need help!

Members don't see this ad.

You have some safer schools and some serious reach schools (UCSF, Baylor).

I am from Kansas, so my only in-state option is the University of Kansas. I have a 4.0 GPA, and got a 31R on my MCAT (13BS, 10PS, and 8VR). So basically my verbal score is a pain in my application! I am involved as an RA in a clinical psychology research study along with a separate genetics research project, and was a CNA at a hospital for about 1 1/2 years. I feel like my application is competitive everywhere but my verbal score. (already taken the MCAT twice, not taking it again). So far, my list of schools to apply to is:

University of Missouri
University of Colorado
St. Louis University
Baylor?
UCSF?

I just feel like some of these schools are out of my range for chances, especially since I will be OOS for everything but KU. I am just having issues figuring out where else to apply... whether it be more safety schools or some others that are more competitive.

UCSF especially and also Baylor seem like huge stretches. How about: Tufts, Jefferson, BU, NYU. What is the rest of your app like? Do you have any geographic or other type of preference?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF especially and also Baylor seem like huge stretches. How about: Tufts, Jefferson, BU, NYU. What is the rest of your app like? Do you have any geographic or other type of preference?

OK well so far I have submitted AMCAS and secondaries for:

University of Kansas (IS)
University of Colorado-Denver
University of St. Louis
University of Iowa (screened secondary)
University of Missouri-Columbia
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities/Duluth
Boston University

So, I'm thinking that KU is a safety, Minnesota and St. Louis are safety but still OOS, Missouri doesn't accept many OOS, and Iowa, Colorado, and Boston are more competitive. I want to add more schools to this. Geographically, I don't want to be in Texas or anywhere too far south. The east coast is tempting (born in NC), and I don't really have any qualms about being far from Kansas, as long as there's something to do there. Does anyone think that any of these schools are really far stretches? What kinds of schools (competition-wise) should I be applying to? Any suggestions for East Coast or NY schools? I realize that Cali schools are pretty competitive, so would it be even worth looking into any of those? HELP! I want to get all these secondaries finished!

Also, If I were to add Nebraska-Omaha or Creighton to this list, which would you choose? (I'm not Catholic, Creighton is a Jesuit school)

Procrastination is not your friend when it's this late in the application cycle. Try to pick about 13 more schools to give yourself a reasonable chance. Quickly. SLU is Jesuit too, BTW. I'd pick Creighton over another state school that will discriminate against OOSers. Jesuit institutions do not look down on non-catholics or non-christians; they want to build a diverse class. For NY schools consider NYMC and Albany. Applying to California schools is probably a waste of your time and $$s at this point.

Procrastination is not your friend when it's this late in the application cycle. Try to pick about 13 more schools to give yourself a reasonable chance. Quickly. SLU is Jesuit too, BTW. I'd pick Creighton over another state school that will discriminate against OOSers. Jesuit institutions do not look down on non-catholics or non-christians; they want to build a diverse class. For NY schools consider NYMC and Albany. Applying to California schools is probably a waste of your time and $$s at this point.

13 more on top of the seven i have already seems a bit excessive!!? I think I'm going to apply to no more than 12 total. I know SLU is jesuit. I think I'm going to add Creighton, MCW, Albany, Rochester... that's 11 total. Any other suggestions for stretches?

Some other comments about your list: Colorado and Missouri have a bottom 10th %tile for verbal of 9. Also Missouri takes few OOS (5/96). When I was rejected from Iowa, I called and spoke to a dean who told me they don't take OOSers with any subscore less than 10. I too would suggest you add more schools.

Some other comments about your list: Colorado and Missouri have a bottom 10th %tile for verbal of 9. Also Missouri takes few OOS (5/96). When I was rejected from Iowa, I called and spoke to a dean who told me they don't take OOSers with any subscore less than 10. I too would suggest you add more schools.

why would Iowa send a secondary to an OOSer that they would automatically reject???

I'm adding MCW, Albany, Rochester, Rush, and Creighton to my app.

why would Iowa send a secondary to an OOSer that they would automatically reject???
I wondered that myself. I expect they rely on the revenues generated by Secondary fees.

I wondered that myself. I expect they rely on the revenues generated by Secondary fees.

OK so whoever told you that is wrong, cause I just got an interview invite at Iowa today!!! Woo hoo!! (my first) ...Seemed like a dumb rule anyways...

OK so whoever told you that is wrong, cause I just got an interview invite at Iowa today!!! Woo hoo!! (my first) ...Seemed like a dumb rule anyways...

CONGRATS!!! I have similar stats (3.98, 30 MCAT) and hope I get one too :)

I have 3.8 and 31R and got interviews from WashU, Duke, and mayo (and other not so good schools). But, I applied across the board to a TON of schools. Oh, and i've done a lot of research and am not fresh out of college, and have a good amount of clinical/non clinical volunteering. But, I had a nine in VR, not 8. Nine is a cutoff at some schools, look in MSAR.

I have HEARD (and have no idea of the validity of this info) baylor puts a lot of weight on mcat, so that may not be best place to apply. With a 4.0, I wouldnt be too scared of your mcat restricting you (unless a school specifically says they need at least 9 in VR). Look in the book Medical School Admission Requirements.
PM if you want to ask something, I dont come to SDN much.

Sonya

University of Missouri
University of Colorado
St. Louis University
Baylor?
UCSF?