AAMC: 2002 statistics is out. Increase of the number of applicants in 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found this info on AAMC web site:

http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/pressrel/2002/021030.htm

They predict a raise of number of applicants in 2003 since there are more people who have taken MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

It sucks for those appyling if the number of applicants goes up. However, it is better for the public since competition drives people to work harder and also schools will have more choices in picking their class.

Members don't see this ad :)
many people have been predicting this for some time now. the obvious reason being that the job market is terrible, and many people are going back to grad school or professional school. it's and up and down cycle, and i'm glad i'm applying before the tidal wave begins. =)

Uhhhh, I think the tidal wave already began. AAMC's year numbers are screwy, so when they say they predict the number of 2003 applicants is up 4-6%, they mean that there are lots applying right now. That's us!

So are those 2002 results for the entering class of 2003, or was that for the entering class of 2002?

Those years totally throw me off!

In addition, applications processed to date through AAMC's American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) are up 6 percent compared to this time last year.
Since the article just came out, I took this to mean that in our app cycle right now, the #'s are up 6%.

I think the numbers for 2002 are those of the people who applied last year to enter this fall. They say that 33,501 people submitted applications for this class of 2002. They can't have numbers already for those of us applying now, so we must be the entering class of 2003. This numbering system, which calls this year's MSAR that for 2003-04, is just messed up. Plus, in the article, they say that increased numbers of people took the MCAT in 2002 in preparation for entrance in 2003, which is partially why they're predicting higher numbers now.

So, new MCAT format and tons more applicants for the class of 2004. Does that mean me taking the MCAT in August prior to my junior year was a bad idea? Blast!

...and more competition for those coveted US News top ten spots. be afraid, be very afraid. :eek:

Originally posted by scootad.
...and less spots open for the US News top ten. be afraid, be very afraid.

No the number of spots open for all schools is the same, there are just more applicants applying to those spots.

Unless some med schools cut seats, which I havent heard anything about.

the year i applied was a low point in part because of the whole new application fiasco. the current year should have higher number of applicants due to the improved function of the application as well as the crappy economy. many of my friends who were in the finance business have switched gears for med school.

Originally posted by oldman
the year i applied was a low point in part because of the whole new application fiasco. the current year should have higher number of applicants due to the improved function of the application as well as the crappy economy. many of my friends who were in the finance business have switched gears for med school.

Yeah, I too have noticed that the main influx of majors into premed have been economics/business majors. I wonder if med schools take this into consideration as to how serious some of the applicants are?

There also has to be a lag period between when the economy starts to suck, and when people can actually switch over to premed. I would assume such a lag would take about 2 years, as that is the average time it takes for a student to take all the prereqs. So that means for a huge influx in 2003, the realization that the economy was crap came in 2001, and the beginning of the economic decline occurred in late 2000/early 2001.

I just dont like more applicants when a significant portion (post-primary) of the application is based on subjective factors. Ah well, no use in complaining, it was bound to happen anyway.

Even in my school, there is quite a bit of pre-meds who are freshman. I am the only official pre-med graduating this year.

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]
Even in my school, there is quite a bit of pre-meds who are freshman. I am the only official pre-med graduating this year.

There are quite a few freshman who are pre-med. And then most of them fall out in the following manner

Phase I: I hate (or didnt do well in) college math/science- (intro chems/bios)

Phase II: I hate (or didnt do well in)organic chemistry

Phase III: I hate the MCAT ( or didnt do well in)

Or at least that has been the experience from what I have seen. Is this pretty accurate?

Originally posted by AegisZero
There are quite a few freshman who are pre-med. And then most of them fall out in the following manner

Phase I: I hate (or didnt do well in) college math/science- (intro chems/bios)

Phase II: I hate (or didnt do well in)organic chemistry

Phase III: I hate the MCAT ( or didnt do well in)

Or at least that has been the experience from what I have seen. Is this pretty accurate?

Yeah, usually the

first year bio kills the new one
2 year it's the chem and zoology
3 year it's orgo (lab too) and pysics
then poof, they are all gone when it's time to graduate