Adex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently talked to someone who strongly suggested to take the ADEX as oppose to the NERB.

I understand that the ADEX covers about 40 or so states. I don't know anyone who has done the exam. Does anyone have any more details on it? In what way does the exam material/clinical component differ from the NERB?

I read a small snipet on some website which said that on November 21st of last year, the presidents of WREB, ADEA, ADEX and the ADA had a meeting in Chicago to discuss the future of testing. Does anyone know the outcomes of that meeting?

Members don't see this ad.

there's a lot of uncertainty right now with ADEX. Only a few states have adopted it as their primary licensing exam, but many others are accepting the exam. I would be sure to check with the board of the specific state where you plan to practice to be sure ADEX will be accepted.

But you'd think they would make it easier to get information about this, wouldn't you? Sometimes I just don't get the politics of dentistry at all. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
We were told at UNC we were taking the adex, only to have realized the people administering the adex exam (CITA) was all smoke and mirrors. We payed 1400$ to take an exam that ususally costs 600, did the same things as the adex, but somehow it's not seen as adex. Be careful.

Smilemaker100 said:
I recently talked to someone who strongly suggested to take the ADEX as oppose to the NERB.

I understand that the ADEX covers about 40 or so states. I don't know anyone who has done the exam. Does anyone have any more details on it? In what way does the exam material/clinical component differ from the NERB?

I read a small snipet on some website which said that on November 21st of last year, the presidents of WREB, ADEA, ADEX and the ADA had a meeting in Chicago to discuss the future of testing. Does anyone know the outcomes of that meeting?

I think I heard from an instructor that this year's NERB is now considered the ADEX exam. Is that true? Also, what states accept the ADEX exam?

Does anyone have a listing of which states accept what exams? I've been googling but apparently I'm not a google master as I have yet to discover a concise listing. I've found documents MENTIONING the exams and certain states but nothing specific really. Thanks!

leia05 said:
Does anyone have a listing of which states accept what exams? I've been googling but apparently I'm not a google master as I have yet to discover a concise listing. I've found documents MENTIONING the exams and certain states but nothing specific really. Thanks!

http://www.aadexam.org/
This should answer your question. Go to the left sidebar and click on Testing Agencies.

I thought that CRDTS was the new NERB.

Demeter said:
I thought that CRDTS was the new NERB.

I think that both the NERB and CRDTS combined to become the new ADEX. Is there anyone out there who can clarify? thanks

ADEX is the American Board of Dental Examiners. It was created out of the AADE (American Association of Dental Examinters) to create a "national" exam. This year, that exam is being administered by NERB and CRDTS. Therefore if you take ADEX as given by NERB it'll be good in a state that also takes CRDTS, and vice versa.

For the time being, the existing testing agencies will continure to administer the ADEX exam until ADEX is fully up and running and can then administer the exam on it's own. What'll happen to the regional testing agencies at that point, I dunno. But that's where we stand today.