admission numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ny911

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if applications to med schools are down this year? I heard that in school, but I tend not to believe what the premeds at my school tell me.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah from what I have heard the number of applications across the nation has gone down dramatically. Many realize that they can make as much money in business and it is much less harder. As far as my school, University of Iowa, the number of applications has remained about the same. The only down side is that with less applications the average G.P.A.s and MCAT scores have gone up. I hope this helps, and good luck in your studies

Go Hawkeyes

Hawkeye is right -- the averages are rising. Less applicants w/lower #'s are applying. Anybody know why?

Members don't see this ad :)
KimR from what i have been hearing is that many are heading to business school. Obviously many people unfortunately go into the medical profession for the financial reward. My guess is that these would be applicants are in it for the $, and realize that going to business school will achieve that prize. Less stress with being premed, HMO's and the excess number of years of education/residency is too much. If money is the only thing a person wants to achieve, I guess business will do the trick.

Go Hawkeyes

ny911

visit the info that i posted under 'mcat in april 2000'. it contains the information that you're interested.

Don't quote me on the numbers, but there was a recent issue of JAMA that detailed admissions stats. From what I remember, applications are down 4% from last year, which in the grand scheme of things, doesn't seem like a huge decline. However, it is true that the qualifications of admitted candidates are staying about the same, if not getting higher.