Advice on School List/ WAMC after decent previous cycle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blazersfan2000

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was looking for some feedback on my school list (from last year) and if there are any I should consider removing or adding. Here's a summary of my application:

MCAT: 510
GPA: 3.9-4
Major: Honors BS w science minor

Activities:

Paid clinical:
- Medical scribe (1000 complete hours in the last year, 300 forecasted)
- Clinical research intern/SURP: 450 hours (1st author publication pending)
- COVID-19 remote medical scribe: 100 hours

Community service (clinical):
-
Volunteer for Parkinson’s Exercise Program: 60 hours
- Medical Procedure Unit Volunteer: 50 hours complete + 50 forecasted

Shadowing, multi specialities: 80 hours

Research:
-
basic sciences research during undergrad with campus poster presentation, honors thesis and publication: 900 hours
- freshmen year research lab experience at the first school I attended/transferred from: 230 hours

Teaching:
- Anatomy and physiology lab teaching intern: 440 hours
- Biochemistry TA: 350 hours

Leadership:
- 3 years on competitive dance team in undergrad, served as captain and team advisor in last two years. 1000 hours

Non-clinical community service:
- Pre-Algebra and Algebra Math Tutor: 250 hours (over COVID)
- Free Clinic Volunteer: 100 hours

Non-clinical paid employment:
- Worked at a local ice cream shop for one summer: 350 hours

Hobbies:
- basketball, dance, running.

In the upcoming year, I plan to add on more clinical by working for a few more months as a medical scribe, then transitioning over into a clinical research role. I also plan to continue volunteering in the medical procedures unit and also work as a health advocacy volunteer.

This past cycle, I received 4 interviews (3 MD, 1 DO). I was rejected by one MD program, waitlisted by another ( high on the waitlist), and have yet to hear back from the other. I was also waitlisted at the DO school since their class was already full by the time I had applied. I felt that my writing, for the most part, was strong and expressed my passions well while having a recurring theme. Another red flag I may have had is that I applied late (primary in late July, secondaries in late August through September). Feel free to DM me for any information/names of the schools where I had interviews/other movement from.

I am looking for general feedback from people/any red flags they see. Also, if anyone has any schools they suggest I add to my list from last year or remove, please let me know! Thank you for your help!!

School list (where I submitted secondaries)
Cooper Rowan
Drexel
EVMS
GW
Keck
Temple
OHSU (IS)
Rush
SLU
Tulane
UCLA
Colorado
Nebraska

Western U of Health Sciences- Waitlist
NSU DO

Members don't see this ad.

What is your state of residence? Where were your interviews and results? When did you apply last year (late July primary)? 3 interviews seems very good for that.

Good luck... we will see if this becomes a moot exercise.

The only potential weakness (maybe) outside of late submission and a short school list is in the non-clinical realm. Free clinic is good, but tutoring not quite as good. See if you can continue that free clinic work and get it to over 150.

FWIW, Rush and SLU generally expect many more hours of non-clinical (several hundred-thousands), so if you didn't get traction there that might be why.

4 interviews is a good #, and you have 2 WLs and 1 left to hear from. Crossing my fingers!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state of residence? Where were your interviews and results? When did you apply last year (late July primary)? 3 interviews seems very good for that.

Good luck... we will see if this becomes a moot exercise.
Oregon.
Interviews:
Drexel- Have not heard yet
OHSU - Waitlist (>100)
Western U Pomona - waitlist
Nebraska - Rejection (ties through recc letter, SURP)

Applied around the end of July with my primary (28th).

The only potential weakness (maybe) outside of late submission and a short school list is in the non-clinical realm. Free clinic is good, but tutoring not quite as good. See if you can continue that free clinic work and get it to over 150.

FWIW, Rush and SLU generally expect many more hours of non-clinical (several hundred-thousands), so if you didn't get traction there that might be why.

4 interviews is a good #, and you have 2 WLs and 1 left to hear from. Crossing my fingers!
Any other schools I could consider adding?

I echo the thoughts on the low non-clinical hours. More free clinic hours would give you the most benefit activity wise. Interview skills would be the best thing to work on as well. Try mock MMI's and traditional 1:1 interviews at either the pre-med office or Career Services office of your undergrad.

I suggest:

OHSU
Drexel
Temple
Nebraska
Wake
GW
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Hackensack
Vermont
Belmont