Any current WashU or U Chicago med students out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JulianCrane

The Power of Intention
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For students that attend both schools, could you tell me what you like most and what you like least about your curricula? Is there integration between courses that you take? Any nuggets of advice are helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I pm'd you. come on washu'ers. I know there are more of you lurking around!

Members don't see this ad :)
Integration, a little. The administration has tried to toss us bones in the form of required lectures on clinical correlations b/n basic concepts and disease processes, which usually don't appear on tests. In fact, our biochem professor, when asked if we needed to know about the clinical correlates that he wasted time lecturing on, referred to them as "empty calories." He goes on, "They're tasted good, but they're not necessarily good for you."

Standardized patient interviews, and supervised real patient interviews conducted by the student under the supervision of a resident could count as integration. It was fun, though. If integration=fun (which I know it doesn't, but let's just say it does for now) then, sure, there is integration.

So, in closing. First quarter integration--maybe. First year integration--we'll have to wait and see.

Good luck, again.

Traditional lecture style. Most overlap is unintentional but it does happen. In fact, I say they make it a point to keep stuff from overlapping during the first quarter. This is largely due to the late start that we get and the short quarters. We get a lot of material in a short period of time.

In years past the anatomy class would cover endocrine glands/systems/etc. in detail including the physiology. Now for example, they have limited the discussion of endocrine stuff to structure of glands and their morphology for the most part. They leave the pathways and stuff for Physiology to deal with. I think it's more efficient that way.