Application Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not reiterating a question that's already been answered, but....do you apply for Ophtho residency as MSIV, while simultaneously applying for your internship year? Is it possible to apply for ophtho WHILE completing your internship year? If so, is it advised?? I mean, it'd buy you extra time to complete your application. I would be v. appreciative if someone could clarify this for me! Thanks! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

hey. generally you apply through the sf (early) match for ophtho during the beginning of your fourth year. you also apply for prelim (medicine, surgery or tranistional) years during your fourth year- but you do so through the regular match.

if anyone could point me in the direction of an actual timeline- ie when to do electives, when to apply for electives, when to solicit letters, when to get your apps completed for ophtho and prelims, and when you generally interview- i would love it. if people want to chime in with little bits of info- i would be happy to put it together as a time line for everyone. :idea:

You have to keep in mind that with ophtho you are applying for a PGY-2 position, so about 1.5 years before you actually start. Your internship, or the PGY-1 position, begins several months after you match. You technically can apply for an ophtho position during your internship, but if matched you'll be taking a year off before starting ophtho. You can also try to look for an open ophtho spot while doing your internship; however, this happens very rarely (but it does happen!). I hope this clears up a few things for you.

Good luck,

Crazed said:
I hope I'm not reiterating a question that's already been answered, but....do you apply for Ophtho residency as MSIV, while simultaneously applying for your internship year? Is it possible to apply for ophtho WHILE completing your internship year? If so, is it advised?? I mean, it'd buy you extra time to complete your application. I would be v. appreciative if someone could clarify this for me! Thanks! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
GrandmasterB, you beat me to the above answer by a few minutes :laugh: !

Well, in terms of the timeline- in my opinion its better to do ophtho electives early in the 4th year, especially if you are planning to get LORs; you have to make sure letterwriters have enough time.

Since ophtho is early match, decisions on interviews are usually made early (like mid-October or even earlier at some lower tier programs). I don't think there is any point to do an elective in November or December (unless may be you are an ophtho superstar). Interview season usually goes from late September through late December.

In regards to prelim interviews- it depends on several factors: are you planning to stay in the same area for prelim and categorical? If so, it is probably better to try to interview for both while you are in the area. This is not always possible, but will save you a trip if you can swing it. Sometimes ophtho department can help you to arrange prelim interviews. If doing prelim close to where you are now, interview for prelim when your ophtho interviews are over (that's what I did)

GrandMasterB said:
hey. generally you apply through the sf (early) match for ophtho during the beginning of your fourth year. you also apply for prelim (medicine, surgery or tranistional) years during your fourth year- but you do so through the regular match.

if anyone could point me in the direction of an actual timeline- ie when to do electives, when to apply for electives, when to solicit letters, when to get your apps completed for ophtho and prelims, and when you generally interview- i would love it. if people want to chime in with little bits of info- i would be happy to put it together as a time line for everyone. :idea:

Hey, I agree with JR. October is too late to do an elective for ophtho unless you are doing it at the program that you really want to go to.

The best time to do electives is June/July/August. This way you can ask for and receive letters of rec in a timely manner.

Here is my attempt at a timeline:

June: register with SF match.

By June/July - have your CV and personal statement done. Both should be given to everyone that is going to write you a letter of rec. Try to give your letter writers a month to write the letter. My advisor recommended one letter of rec from ophtho, one from medicine, one from G-surg. I am sure others on this forum might have done that part differently or have other suggestions.

June/July - register with ERAS (normal match for prelim/transitional programs). Your school will issue you a "token."

I would try to have my ophtho application (including all letters of rec) in by the end of August/beginning of September. SF match will post a "target date" on their website.

By the beginning of Septemeber, you can start submitting your application to ERAS. I would try to get it completely submitted no later than the middle of September.

If you are asking the same letter writer who wrote you a letter for ophtho to write you one for internship, i would ask them to write you 2 versions of the same letter. One that states, "Johnny will make an awesome ophthalmologist" and one that states "Johnny will make an excellent intern."

Try to leave your schedule during the months of November and December open for interviews. For example, this is not the time to be doing your 4th year medicine sub-I because you will be traveling a lot. Rather, this is a great time to do a research block or at my school, radiology. Count on the bulk of your interviews lasting through the 1st 2 weeks of december. Try to knock off your prelim interviews during this time, if you can. If not, prelim programs generally offer interview dates in January.

End of January: ophtho match

End of March: regular match.

Hope this helps!

Ruben