Applying with multiple prereqs missing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biryanisquish

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, I know schools recommend say only a year of biology is required, but I already completed a semester of microbiology. Thus, do I only have to take one more semester of biology or should I just be safe and take two? Also, I am set to complete this course prior to matriculation, if I luckily get accepted, of course.
Most schools I'm familiar with specifically require a year of general biology, and don't always accept upper level electives in its place. You should check the specific requirements for each school you want to apply to.

Looking at what you have left, it looks like a very busy year if you're completing them after graduation. It's unclear from your post (you say you're a senior) if you're planning to delay graduation to take these, or graduate and take them elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools don't require any prereqs and list them as "recommended" instead. Get an MSAR subscription so you can look up which ones. You could focus on applying to those schools and take the remaining prereqs during the application cycle in case you don't get in on your first attempt and have to reapply. That being said, schools use the performance in prereqs to judge if you are ready to handle medical school. So it would be better if you took those classes (and made a real effort to do well in them).

Reactions: 1 users
Don't rush things. Your stats are great, but if you overload yourself you run the risk of messing up your GPA or not doing as well as you can on the MCAT. So many posts from people who did something they thought they could handle but couldn't and wondering how to pick up the pieces.

Reactions: 4 users
So what are your plans for completing those prereqs before matriculation?
After graduating from T20, I'll complete the prereqs summer ('24), fall ('24), and spring ('25) likely at a local community college. This was what I had in mind.
So I was thinking of taking biochem (summer '24), gen bio 1, ochem 2 (fall '24), and gen bio 2 and physics 2 (spring '25) with the intention of matriculating fall '25.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Most schools I'm familiar with specifically require a year of general biology, and don't always accept upper level electives in its place. You should check the specific requirements for each school you want to apply to.

Looking at what you have left, it looks like a very busy year if you're completing them after graduation. It's unclear from your post (you say you're a senior) if you're planning to delay graduation to take these, or graduate and take them elsewhere?
Sorry for not making it clear! I'll be graduating next semester, and I was thinking of submitting my application, and completing the prereqs at community college summer ('24), fall ('24), and spring ('25). Does this sound feasible?

This was what I had in mind. So I was thinking of taking biochem (summer '24), gen bio 1, ochem 2 (fall '24), and gen bio 2 and physics 2 (spring '25) with the intention of matriculating fall '25.

Last edited:
Very few community colleges offer biochemistry: you should check that before you make plans.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry for not making it clear! I'll be graduating next semester, and I was thinking of submitting my application, and completing the prereqs at community college summer ('24), fall ('24), and spring ('25). Does this sound feasible?

This was what I had in mind. So I was thinking of taking biochem (summer '24), gen bio 1, ochem 2 (fall '24), and gen bio 2 and physics 2 (spring '25) with the intention of matriculating fall '25.
Do a DIY postbac, but check the sequencing of organic chemistry and biochemistry. I also don't know if your CC will offer Biochemistry or organic chemistry that is appropriate for science majors. I also don't understanding taking bio 1 after biochemistry.

What did your prehealth advising office say?

Very few community colleges offer biochemistry: you should check that before you make plans.
Hi! I accidently mistyped. I will likely take this at a UC extension course online such as LA, SD, or Berkeley.

Do a DIY postbac, but check the sequencing of organic chemistry and biochemistry. I also don't know if your CC will offer Biochemistry or organic chemistry that is appropriate for science majors. I also don't understanding taking bio 1 after biochemistry.

What did your prehealth advising office say?
I will 100% be doing a DIY postbacc. With regards to the sequencing, would you imagine there be much issues with me completing ochem 1 at my T20 and me doing ochem 2 at community? I will also be doing biochem at a UC extension (not sure yet). Also, the courses aren't necessarily set in stone, but I will be trying to do 1 course over the summer and two courses respectively in fall and spring.

With regard to my prehealth advising office, I haven't spoken to them yet as I wanted your guys' thoughts first (I don't hold our school's advising offce in high regard).

Last edited:
Some schools don't require any prereqs and list them as "recommended" instead. Get an MSAR subscription so you can look up which ones. You could focus on applying to those schools and take the remaining prereqs during the application cycle in case you don't get in on your first attempt and have to reapply. That being said, schools use the performance in prereqs to judge if you are ready to handle medical school. So it would be better if you took those classes (and made a real effort to do well in them).
Yes, that is exactly the dilemma I'm facing at the moment. I'm worried that adcoms won't be able to see that I can handle the rigor of med schools because I only have about half the prereqs completed, but the ones that I have completed I have gotten essentially A/A-'s on all of them. Also, if I get my MCAT score of ~515ish then I'd assume that it would clear any doubts, right? I essentially don't want to take a gap year since I already took one as I was undecided on continuing data science/software engineering to switch to medicine. Thank you for all your help so far!

Yes, that is exactly the dilemma I'm facing at the moment. I'm worried that adcoms won't be able to see that I can handle the rigor of med schools because I only have about half the prereqs completed, but the ones that I have completed I have gotten essentially A/A-'s on all of them. Also, if I get my MCAT score of ~515ish then I'd assume that it would clear any doubts, right?
You don't have an MCAT score yet. Perhaps you'll blow it out of the water, perhaps you'll get humbled, nobody knows yet. Right now you're just speculating.

Getting a high MCAT without the usual pre-reqs does tells us that you're really smart. It also tells us that you are impatient, perhaps even impulsive. An adcom could fixate on either trait and reach very different conclusions about your candidacy.

Tell us about your non-clinical volunteering.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Hi! I accidently mistyped. I will likely take this at a UC extension course online such as LA, SD, or Berkeley.
Here is a basic list of pre reqs for every MD school. Some schools don't accept online classes, some are case by case, and some are fine with it.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't have an MCAT score yet. Perhaps you'll blow it out of the water, perhaps you'll get humbled, nobody knows yet. Right now you're just speculating.

Getting a high MCAT without the usual pre-reqs does tells us that you're really smart. It also tells us that you are impatient, perhaps even impulsive. An adcom could fixate on either trait and reach very different conclusions about your candidacy.

Tell us about your non-clinical volunteering.
300 hours at soup kitchen/homeless shelter, and 200 hours tutoring ESL to non-native speakers are my nonclinical both done consistently in the past 3 years. Growing up I was on section 8 and my parents don't speak English either so I thought it would tie in with my application.

You're also correct about me not having my MCAT score yet, but from my practices, I have been doing well getting 515, 517, 516, so I'm confident I'll get at least a 512+ on the actual thing as I've always been a good test taker. When I do get my MCAT score, would you still recommend that I apply? I'm facing immense pressure to matriculate since I already took a gap year, and was in a completely different high-paying career path just two years ago.

Last edited:
300 hours at soup kitchen/homeless shelter, and 200 hours tutoring ESL to non-native speakers are my nonclinical both done consistently in the past 3 years. Growing up I was on section 8 and my parents don't speak English either so I thought it would tie in with my application.
Sounds reasonable.

You're also correct about me not having my MCAT score yet, but from my practices, I have been doing well getting 515, 517, 516, so I'm confident I'll get at least a 512+ on the actual thing as I've always been a good test taker. When I do get my MCAT score, would you still recommend that I apply? I'm facing immense pressure to matriculate since I already took a gap year, and was in a completely different high-paying career path just two years ago.
Obviously no one knows the particularities of your situation better than you. If you are under immense pressure and need to take a swing then take a swing. There is going to be a measure of uncertainty in this process no matter what you do.