Attention OMS Residents & Applicants: Introducing SurgeonsLounge.com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgeonsLounge

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I'm a PGY6 OMS resident at LSU New Orleans. I'm happy to announce that after about 2 years of effort we've launched an OMS exclusive website and forum: SurgeonsLounge.com. The platform serves as an unprecedented resource for OMS applicants, residents, and practicing surgeons. It includes a surgical atlas (with step-by-step surgical photos), references, documentation, procedure coding, & more! Our goal is for this to be a leading platform in the field and I believe we are on the correct trajectory for that to happen soon. Currently, all SurgeonsLounge content is free.

As the forum is in its infancy, we would like to gain some traction from this community. Please register and participate- all educational levels are welcome. If you haven't yet started residency it will serve as a powerful tool to get you ahead quickly.

As you can imagine the site has taken significant effort both in and out of the OR. Please join, share, and let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 7.58.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-16 at 7.58.21 PM.png
    627.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Website looks great. Thanks for putting it together!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone!

I'm a PGY6 OMS resident at LSU New Orleans. I'm happy to announce that after about 2 years of effort we've launched an OMS exclusive website and forum: SurgeonsLounge.com. The platform serves as an unprecedented resource for OMS applicants, residents, and practicing surgeons. It includes a surgical atlas (with step-by-step surgical photos), references, documentation, procedure coding, & more! Our goal is for this to be a leading platform in the field and I believe we are on the correct trajectory for that to happen soon. Currently, all SurgeonsLounge content is free.

As the forum is in its infancy, we would like to gain some traction from this community. Please register and participate- all educational levels are welcome. If you haven't yet started residency it will serve as a powerful tool to get you ahead quickly.

We are offering a waiver of future SurgeonsLounge membership costs for any of you who are interested in posting a significant amount of content (updated program & externship reviews, etc.) to the "Applicant Corner" in the SurgeonsLounge Forum. If interested, please DM me or email [email protected] for specifics.

As you can imagine the site has taken significant effort both in and out of the OR. Please join, share, and let me know what you all think.

Thanks!
Is this supposed to be an anonymous forum similar to SDN, or is it intended to have real names tied to accounts and more like LinkedIn

Members don't see this ad :)
Having messaged you separately, I'll add to the conversation here as well for the sake of visibility. We have a pretty intimate specialty and the number of intermediaries connecting two of us is probably closer to one than six degrees of separation. Yet the training we all have can be vastly different, so the idea of having an OMFS type resource to unify in one way or another is pretty cool. Although I'm not really sure what gap this is aiming to fill.

Is it a digital version/remake of the OMS reference guide? Is it an AROMS competitor? Is the end goal to be a board study material, an OMS Uworld or Bootcamp? It feels like the early workings of a "cash grab" type thing.
If not and it's a more specific version of SDN I think there is an attempt of that over on AAOMS Connects, but I've never figured it out.
There's the applicant aspect which is handled extensively by Access OMFS.
Resident logs by Omsnic RSL, a forum here on SDN. A board Qbank on SCORE.
Does it want to be all of this? great.

Not that these type of things dont need funding to keep up and running, but the idea of offering waivers now in order to build traffic and free advertising is worrying for me that this isn't the resource I was hoping it would aim to be. The name alone doesn't match the tone either. If it's just a forum, hangout lounge etc thats cool but then the resources being highlighted are extensive and ambitious. If it's meant to be an AROMS type competitor and a true resource to learn and use as a companion in residency and practice, the website name doesn't fit the tone. Heck even the main page refers to the specialty as Oral and Facial Surgeons

I'm not saying any of this to discourage the use or continuance and I think what I've seen so far is very impressive, which is why I offer up my initial thoughts.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Having messaged you separately, I'll add to the conversation here as well for the sake of visibility. We have a pretty intimate specialty and the number of intermediaries connecting two of us is probably closer to one than six degrees of separation. Yet the training we all have can be vastly different, so the idea of having an OMFS type resource to unify in one way or another is pretty cool. Although I'm not really sure what gap this is aiming to fill.

Is it a digital version/remake of the OMS reference guide? Is it an AROMS competitor? Is the end goal to be a board study material, an OMS Uworld or Bootcamp? It feels like the early workings of a "cash grab" type thing.
If not and it's a more specific version of SDN I think there is an attempt of that over on AAOMS Connects, but I've never figured it out.

Not that these type of things dont need funding to keep up and running, but the idea of offering waivers now in order to build traffic and free advertising is worrying for me that this isn't the resource I was hoping it would aim to be. The name alone doesn't match the tone either. If it's just a forum, hangout lounge etc thats cool but then the resources being highlighted are extensive and ambitious. If it's meant to be an AROMS type competitor and a true resource to learn and use as a companion in residency and practice, the website name doesn't fit the tone. Heck even the main page refers to the specialty as Oral and Facial Surgeons

I'm not saying any of this to discourage the use or continuance and I think what I've seen so far is very impressive, which is why I offer up my initial thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback- honestly you bring up some really solid points. Here are my thoughts:

1. Website name & scope: I started the site as a PGY4 when we'd be sitting in the surgeon's lounge outside the OR prior to cases (especially big cancer recons) reviewing my notes for instruments, surgical steps, etc. After a few requests from other residents I posted the notes online so we could all have an easily accessible reference. It became useful to have other references & documentation available and so the site grew. I think it's a hybrid of many of those resources you mentioned. The goal of SL is to have a straightforward resource for everything one would need as a clinical OMS. The end goal is not to be a digital textbook or library of lectures like AROMS, but rather a more clinically-oriented and practical resource that can be quickly pulled up on the run. As you mentioned in our DMs "there is a need" for a project that centralizes OMS. I think a lot of us feel that, and hopefully this can be it.
2. Waivers: True- If it doesn't happen organically then it doesn't provide genuine value. Agreed and revised.
3. "Facial vs maxillofacial": Initial thought was to avoid alienating PRS & ENT friends who had been using the site for submental intubation (one of the first articles), etc. but as it has evolved into the current version, that defeats the point. Homepage updated.

Reactions: 1 users
Browsed through the site, I really liked the informational portion- it's really useful and IMO better in many ways than atlas. The list of codes is very nice too. I believe the future of surgical education is online sources like this as they can be more easily updated in real time as opposed to textbooks.

As far as the forum aspect- in theory it's nice, in reality it might be hard to really find an adequate base to engage. There's what 9000 OMFS in the country? Probably 4500 are internet savvy, maybe a couple hundred join, and we all know only 1-3% of a forum base actually comments or posts. Not a knock on you at all, just we're pretty small.

Browsed through the site, I really liked the informational portion- it's really useful and IMO better in many ways than atlas. The list of codes is very nice too. I believe the future of surgical education is online sources like this as they can be more easily updated in real time as opposed to textbooks.

As far as the forum aspect- in theory it's nice, in reality it might be hard to really find an adequate base to engage. There's what 9000 OMFS in the country? Probably 4500 are internet savvy, maybe a couple hundred join, and we all know only 1-3% of a forum base actually comments or posts. Not a knock on you at all, just we're pretty small.

Thanks! Yeah one of the most challenging parts of the project was figuring out how to organize the informational sections so I appreciate that.

Agreed we're definitely small as a surgical community but hopefully the forum can provide a little guidance for us all (even if the user #s aren't huge). My residency, for example, strongly emphasizes surgical autonomy and though I've been operating alone comfortably for a few years but I still wonder who I'll call when I have a bad case next year. Or 5 years after that. I think a dedicated forum could be the ultimate solution to this and many other issues we face.

Reactions: 1 users

I'll have to disagree with SCORE having a good Qbank or being a good resource at all. I didn't get much out of it and wish I never paid for it