Auto-screen for IA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sn00pygrrl

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know which schools automatically screen out applicants with IA's? I have one, but it's from 22 yrs ago and I've done A LOT since then to remediate. Just want to know which schools might not send a secondary so that I can get in touch with admissions.

Members don't see this ad.

Automatic screening of IA's usually involves a separate review on the timing/nature of the infraction and remedial steps. It doesn't always mean your file is eliminated. You can reach out if you have concerns.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know which schools automatically screen out applicants with IA's? I have one, but it's from 22 yrs ago and I've done A LOT since then to remediate. Just want to know which schools might not send a secondary so that I can get in touch with admissions.
22 years is a VERY long time. No one is going to tell you not to apply if you reach out, so I don't think there is anything to be gained by bringing further attention to it.

I'd just make the required disclosure, let the past 22 years and the rest of your application speak for themselves, and let the chips fall where they may. People don't get secondaries for a variety of reasons, and more than half of everyone who do get secondaries fail to be admitted anywhere, so I wouldn't stress about that. Not getting a secondary is just a school doing you a favor, given how many people get thrown right into the reject pile as soon as they submit the secondary, and most schools are not so kind.

Unless your IA was for something like homicide, it's difficult to imagine anything from 22 years ago being the reason you don't get accepted anywhere. Good luck!!

22 years is a VERY long time. No one is going to tell you not to apply if you reach out, so I don't think there is anything to be gained by bringing further attention to it.

I'd just make the required disclosure, let the past 22 years and the rest of your application speak for themselves, and let the chips fall where they may. People don't get secondaries for a variety of reasons, and more than half of everyone who do get secondaries fail to be admitted anywhere, so I wouldn't stress about that. Not getting a secondary is just a school doing you a favor, given how many people get thrown right into the reject pile as soon as they submit the secondary, and most schools are not so kind.

Unless your IA was for something like homicide, it's difficult to imagine anything from 22 years ago being the reason you don't get accepted anywhere. Good luck!!
Yes, I definitely disclosed this on my primary. I just wanted to be sure it wasn't a TRULY automatic screen--meaning, any applications with IAs were sorted out by a computer algorithm and tossed aside. I am in-state in CA and have decent stats (517 / cGPA 3.69 / sGPA 3.99) so really want the chance to compete for a UC school.

Any update on this? was curious about this too, particularly regarding UCLA.
UCLA probably does have a screen for IAs but no way to know for sure. Unless your app is so good it's something they have never seen before save yourself 40 bucks and don't apply

What if its a minor IA (not even sure its on my file) like a warning for a violation of a guest policy in the dorms? You still don't think it's worth it to apply and send a message to the Adcom explaining the situation and asking for a closer look at my applications?
Just because they have a screen doesn't mean you won't get past it. Could be a screen for academic IAs.... no way to know. Shoot your shot man your IA literally looks like peanuts compared to mine