Can you take USMLE before getting to OMFS program!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabba

beezer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I have all the review material to study for the USMLE since I used to study for the dental boards. IS it possible to take the USMLE before getting into a 6year OMFS program?

Members don't see this ad.

Problem you'll run into is to get an allopathic or osteopathic medical school to sponsor your USMLE Step I registration. You have to be an enrolled medical student to take the exam.

Jabba said:
Well, I have all the review material to study for the USMLE since I used to study for the dental boards. IS it possible to take the USMLE before getting into a 6year OMFS program?

Short answer = No.

Longer answer = No way Jose.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your school is affiliated with a medical school ask them. I did... and was given the opportunity to register for step 1, however I decided I would rather wait. If you don't ask the answer is always no.

Late..

Again, like I said before, if you can find a DO or MD medical school to sponsor you, then you can take the USMLE. I would assume that dental schools who have basic science courses with their perspective medical schools, their chances can be higher. I know here at NSU, since we have a DO medical school, the chance of taking the USMLE can be there also. A lot of loops and barriers, a student will have to jump through, but it can be possible (don't quote me on this).

DO medical students take the COMLEX instead of USMLE, but many of the DO students register for the USMLE to increase their residency matching process.