Cantharone Plus Lawsuit / Dormer Cantharone / FDA fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heybrother

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

You can't purchase Cantharone Plus from Dormer in Canada anymore.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this feels like colchicine all over again. An American company demonstrates that a product which everyone already knows is safe - is safe and creates a pharmaceutical with an exploding ridiculous price.

1715127262315.png

A bottle of cantharone regular or plus was like $80-120.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I think we'll be billing a lot more 11421s

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Used cantharone plus from Canada all the time in residency. My new hospital wouldn't let me use it because it wasn't FDA approved. I'm trying to get this new Ycanth in the office but there's a ton of red tape to jump through

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do fine without it.

Cantharidin's a good way to lose patients typically (they leave it on too long, significant pain/sensitivity even if they follow direction, blister gets infected, etc). That isn't such a big deal in hospital employ/salary, but in PP, it'll hurt your rep to get those wow-in-a-bad-way events, esp with peds pts. I use it... but much less than I did years ago.

Proper debride + salic is the way to go for 95% F&A verruca imo (cost effective, best EBM, fewest pain events).
Canth can have its place rarely, but it requries good pt counseling... very seldom useful and pretty risky in new pts.
Cryo never made sense to me... PCPs love it because it's easy, but it's a glorified guessing game as to how long to appy (does nothing ... or can cause frostbite). The EBM on cryo accordingly sucks versus salicylic.

Personally, I have done nothing for verruca except sali, rare cantharidin, rarer cimetidine PO adjunct, very rare sharp excisions, and that's done fine. I think the debride produces more effect than anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I heard about 5-FU being pretty effective, so I just been telling my patients to flip their wart the bird 5x a day.
Must be working because they never come back to the clinic.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I use 5FU as often as I can. That with oral zinc.
You can also just get 5FU powder mixed into sali acid cream from the compound pharma if you have any say in the ordering/supplies.
It costs maybe 10 or 20% more but not too significant and saves ppl a lot of expense and time picking up at pharmacy.

Is there any EBM on the zinc PO?
I only do the oral cimetidine for recalcitrant cases or pts with tons of lesion sites.

Last edited:
You can also just get 5FU powder mixed into sali acid cream from the compound pharma if you have any say in the ordering/supplies.
It costs maybe 10 or 20% more but not too significant and saves ppl a lot of expense and time picking up at pharmacy.

Is there any EBM on the zinc PO?
I only do the oral cimetidine for recalcitrant cases or pts with tons of lesion sites.
Yes, good EBD on oral zinc. You just have to have them take higher doses... I usually have pts take 50mg PO TID w/ food to avoid stomach issues.