Cinci vs Seattle vs Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pippergal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe someone can help a poor girl out. I am torn. I absolutely fell in love with the program at Cinci. Only problem is that it is in Cincinnati. I am a little concerned that my husband will struggle to find work. I also was really impressed with Children's memorial in Chicago, but I have heard through the grapevine that it is hierarchical and malignant?!? I also loved Seattle. The residents were so fun and the attendings were really nice, but the radiology department is a little antique and the residents seem to work harder than other places. Can anyone share their thoughts on any of these places? I know I am being a bit of a spaz and would do fine at any of these. I guess I just need some help making a 1,2,3 rank list. Help please!!

Members don't see this ad.

I feel your pain...I'm torn among the same 3 + milwaukee, rainbow babies & cardinal glennon.

I'd also love to hear other people's thoughts on the programs too.

chicago is one of the greatest cities in this country in terms of culture, things to do, places to see, with beautiful architecture and a beautiful Lake.
i have never heard of this reputation of children's memorial as being malignant and hierarchical. i have only heard very wonderful positive things about the collegial friendly laid-back environment there. i got a good feeling on interview day that it's actually a very NICE place to be. plus they have an awesome reputation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have to say that I really liked Cinci children's as well, but felt somewhat ambivalent about the city in the same way as you. That said, the residents there seem to manage (and their spouses/significant others as well) and were pretty happy with their choice...

Dear Colleagues,

In the end it dont make that big of a deal. I have seen many resident get great fellowships from mediocre programs and many residents not getting jobs even though they went to top 10 peds residency program.

bottom line is go where you feel comfortable. go where you like the people, the place, the weather. go where you have family.

esp if you are thinking between 3 great places. go to chicago cuz u like chicago and its nice workin with the people. if you have heard its malignant - it might not be worth takin that chance to go there - cuz its not always that fun workin in a malignant atmosphere.

thats my 5 cents. i spend more than i should.

good luck everyone. i need it myself!
peace

if you have any questions, i am a student and have lived in cincy for the last four years. i can help with questions about the city. i think it is great here, but i am probably biased.

Just a few thoughts on CMH...

I spent 3months there this year as a SubI & doing electives. I too have occasionally heard thru the grapevine that it's malignant/hierarchical and there is a sense of competitiveness among the residents. This is absolutely not true.

I can probably tell you where this comes from though...

There is one attending who likes to bark at morning report. So, interviewees spend one morning there, hear a few minutes listening to this attending question why a resident would order a particular test, and get the impression that it's a malignant program. If you spend more time at morning report, you see the residents have a lot of fun with it (occasionally push his buttons a bit for fun). I've been a SubI on the GenMed service with this same attending as well...he is not at all malignant and absolutely LOVES to teach. He is a big student of EBM, & is one of the people who runs the Medical Jeopardy competition at the AAP meetings.

I have witnessed competitiveness among the residents, but not in the sense that previous posters have noted. In 3 months, the only competition I've seen was in drinking at the bar and in games of beach volleyball. They're a great group that spends a lot of time together at happy hour, bbq's with the chiefs (every week over the summer), Cubs games, & all sorts of other activities. In my 3 months, I met all of the interns, all of the 3rd years, only a few of the 2nd years (because they're frequently off-site). Very outgoing, and always willing to include the SubI in activities/going out.

The PD is one of the nicest and most genuine people you will come across. I've been on service with her and called her house at 3AM with admits.

"Sorry to wake you Dr. Unti, we have an admission. He's a...."
"[Earmuffs], how many times do I have to tell you...it's Sharon."
"Sorry Dr. Unti"
"[laughing]"
We will then spend 5min talking about how the night's going before getting to the case.

All that said, there are (in my mind) several weaknesses:
1) Size: it's a larger program (31 interns, could be a plus or minus depending on your point of view. Everybody does know everyone else though.)
2) Lincoln Park is a fabulous neighborhood to live in, but it's pretty expensive for Chicago. Still nothing compared to Cali, NY & Boston, maybe a little cheaper than Seattle & Philly, depending on which neighborhood you're talking about.
3) Older facility. Plans are in the works for a new building, but we will probably all be done with fellowships by the time that happens.
4) The resident lounge leaves a little bit to be desired.

Hope this helps...

Thank you everyone for the helpful input. I am still puzzling, but all your comments have really made me realize that I can't make a bad decision. I'll get some good sleep tonight! :sleep:

pippergal said:
Thank you everyone for the helpful input. I am still puzzling, but all your comments have really made me realize that I can't make a bad decision. I'll get some good sleep tonight! :sleep:

I'll put my plug in for Cincinnati (the city at least). There really is a lot to do here. It's hard for newcomers to get a sense of what is here, but anyone who's lived here a while could give you like 3 dozen suggestions of what to do on a weekend... Especially in the realm of the arts. Cincinnati has a huge arts base.

As far as finding a job, it would depend on what your spouse does. But Cincinnati isn't exactly a small podunk town so I'm sure there are jobs out there.

D

pippergal said:

Soooo I lived in Cincinnati for 2 years before moving out west with my hubby, who is born and raised Queen City. You're right, the program is amazing. Here's my take on Cincinnati as an outsider, originally from the deep south. To my suprise when I was transferred there, I liked it, alot - a great "neighborhoody" kind of city with a real sense of midwest hometown values. Locals are nutso about Skyline Chili, Graeters Ice Cream, the Bengals, luv their Reds, it boasts a world class symphony, the museums and art scene, zoo and aquarium go waaaaaay beyond what's expected of a city that size. Wonderful lifestyle amenities, summers are mild, winters are grey, but you don't get that harsh lakeeffect snow. Like a PP said, it's not a podunk town - many big companies HQ there - Proctor & Gamble, Sara Lee, some big insurance co.'s, etc. Jobs are easy to find. So for lifestyle and employment, as far as I'm concernced and not knowing what your hubby does, I think you're set.

Buuuuttttt, Cincy ain't no utopia. IT is VERY racially divided, more so than my hometown in Louisiana, believe it or not. White flight is prevalent - suburbs of cookie cutter/soulless track homes are the norm. There are a couple of cool intown neighborhoods - Clifton Gas Light (real near UC), Mount Lookout, Hyde Park, but many white folks are skeedaddling to suburban Kentucky, West Chester, Lakota, Milford, Amelia - all outlying bedroom communities, leaving a dying urban core repleat with poverty, hopelessness and fear. Politically, the region is painfully conservative - progress is hard to come by. A very entrenched Catholic city, which can be good or bad, depending on your take (my husband is Catholic, so for the sake of marital harmony, I'll call it good) Voters keep naying lightrail and public school initiatives. Most, not all, educated young people take off after high school and college, brain drain is a problem. There are some groups trying to counteract the brain drain and white flight and encourage urban development, etc. Guppies against the tide, IMHO. VERY different climate compared to Chicago, and especially Seattle. Keep that in mind.

That having been said, there's a good chance we'll move back - the program is tops, it's a good place to raise a family and housing is still DIRT CHEAP - you can purchase a 100 year old Victorian home in one of the aforementioned intown neighborhoods for less than $250K. Great things for families to do. Guess we'll try to be some of those guppies!