City one practices in and affects of changing city

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in a career in psychiatry (or neurology).

I have a few unusual questions that will help with some personal descisions i am making:

* How easy is at a psychiatrist to find a job in any city you want. I am not talking about rural areas, but any normal town or city.

* What will be the setbacks, if any, one would need to take if they have to move around often (every few years).

* for both these questions, how does it change if one practices in hospitals/academic medical center/group practice/vs private practice.

For now, lets assume I will not be doing much research at at all (although im not sure this is the case).

I am asking this in order to understand where things can go with my significant other (and to understand my career ahead).

Thank you all for your help. Could you let me know what stage of your career you are in.
Sonya

Members don't see this ad.

These are good questions, and I'd love to hear other's opinions.

I'm an MS4, applied to psych only, so been doing research into this, learning, listening to other residents/docs, and I'm 2nd career, so I have some experience as a colleague/friend of psychiatrists also. Here's what I know so far.

There are many, many ways to work in psychiatry, such as consultation liason, ER (bit unclear on this one), combo's of private, hospital, managed care, etc.

There is a shortage of private practice psychiatrists in almost every major city.

Psychiatry probably has more options to practice venue than any other specialty (bit redundant sorry).

I would think it would be relatively easy to move each 3 years and maintainn a good or decent income and satisfaction level, but it seems it'd be hard in some ways, for some types of people, to leave their patients behind each few years. If you like psych, then that makes it all the more tolerable. Hope you get more info., and all the best.

Thank you for your help.

It just seems most docs are in private practice/small group practice. and, in that case its seems it would be hard to move around. At least that has been my uncle (a cardiologists) experiience.

Thats a good point about leaving patients behind. I do also very much like the long term relations with patients. But, one has to consider interests of family, vs interests of/satisfactions from career.

I will be honest I haven't started medical school yet, but i am, in a way, in a second career. But, i feel passionately in my heart about psych, so that is why i feel this interest will stay regardless of what i learn in medical school. I've researched psychiatrists lifestyle, and volunteered in psychiatry field. But, still, I fully realize medical school may have effects of my specialty descision.

Thanks!
These are good questions, and I'd love to hear other's opinions.

I'm an MS4, applied to psych only, so been doing research into this, learning, listening to other residents/docs, and I'm 2nd career, so I have some experience as a colleague/friend of psychiatrists also. Here's what I know so far.

There are many, many ways to work in psychiatry, such as consultation liason, ER (bit unclear on this one), combo's of private, hospital, managed care, etc.

There is a shortage of private practice psychiatrists in almost every major city.

Psychiatry probably has more options to practice venue than any other specialty (bit redundant sorry).

I would think it would be relatively easy to move each 3 years and maintainn a good or decent income and satisfaction level, but it seems it'd be hard in some ways, for some types of people, to leave their patients behind each few years. If you like psych, then that makes it all the more tolerable. Hope you get more info., and all the best.