Clinical vs. Non Clinical RA Job? Do I need more clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eharlc2119

Reaction score
Hello, I realize this is a commonly asked question, but I wanted to give more details about my role and get feedback! I am working as a clinical research assistant at a research project affiliated with my university’s hospital. However, I don’t actually do any “research”. My job is more so interviewing hospitalized patients and asking about their health and stay at the hospital. This means I go into patient rooms in the hospital to conduct these surveys. Would this count as clinical experience for medical school applications? The position itself involves developing “good bedside manners”, which is why I thought it would be clinical. But given that it’s a “research” position, I also understand that medical schools may not view it as clinical. Any insight would be appreciated!
I am trying to get more clinical experience via hospital volunteering, but it’s been hard to find one that’s closer to where I am - that is why this “clinical” experience is important to me!

Members don't see this ad.

How is this "research"? How do you get consent? Is there follow-up you are doing? Who supervises you during your interviews? Are you actually interviewing or giving someone a tablet?

It sounds to me you have an argument for patient-facing clinical experience than other versions of "intake" for clinical research studies. (I have seen patient registration happen over the phone since the pandemic, for example. What you are doing is closest to this role IMO.) The description is your responsibility. Safe to classify as non-clinical but I don't think reviewers will have a problem considering it clinical or clinical-adjacent.

Reactions: 2 users
How is this "research"? How do you get consent? Is there follow-up you are doing? Who supervises you during your interviews? Are you actually interviewing or giving someone a tablet?

It sounds to me you have an argument for patient-facing clinical experience than other versions of "intake" for clinical research studies. (I have seen patient registration happen over the phone since the pandemic, for example. What you are doing is closest to this role IMO.) The description is your responsibility. Safe to classify as non-clinical but I don't think reviewers will have a problem considering it clinical or clinical-adjacent.
Thanks for your reply! I can’t go into the details of the research (and I don’t honestly know too much about it either because I’m just involved in talking to patients). I get consent through the formal REDcap consent form. And all the RAs are trained and certified to conduct interviews by themselves. We are the ones who actually conduct the interview and ask them questions while they are hospitalized. We also do call them after they are discharged as well. I hope this helps in determining whether this is clinical or not - I’ll also try my best to make an argument for it in my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply! I can’t go into the details of the research (and I don’t honestly know too much about it either because I’m just involved in talking to patients). I get consent through the formal REDcap consent form. And all the RAs are trained and certified to conduct interviews by themselves. We are the ones who actually conduct the interview and ask them questions while they are hospitalized. We also do call them after they are discharged as well. I hope this helps in determining whether this is clinical or not - I’ll also try my best to make an argument for it in my application.
I think you could call this clinical

Reactions: 1 users
You are interacting with patients. Whether you are paid or unpaid would determine if it is clinical volunteering or clinical employment but talking face-to-face with patients meets my definition of "clinical". This might be research (IRB approved consent form would be your first clue) or it might be Quality Improvement not meant to be generalizable (which research should be) but meant solely for internal use by the facility to improve the quality of care at that facility. In either case, you can tag it as you choose on the AMCAS application. Even if it is employment and your title is "Research Assistant" you can make it clear in the description that with patient consent you conducted interviews to elicit information about patients' satisfaction with care, etc and conducted follow-up interviews by phone.

Reactions: 1 users
You are interacting with patients. Whether you are paid or unpaid would determine if it is clinical volunteering or clinical employment but talking face-to-face with patients meets my definition of "clinical". This might be research (IRB approved consent form would be your first clue) or it might be Quality Improvement not meant to be generalizable (which research should be) but meant solely for internal use by the facility to improve the quality of care at that facility. In either case, you can tag it as you choose on the AMCAS application. Even if it is employment and your title is "Research Assistant" you can make it clear in the description that with patient consent you conducted interviews to elicit information about patients' satisfaction with care, etc and conducted follow-up interviews by phone.
Thanks for your reply :) I will do that!