D.O. oncologists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TCOM-2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any people out there who know anything about how to get into a good oncology residency??? Are there any D.O. connections we can use as osteopathic students?

Members don't see this ad.

To specialize in oncology or hematalogy/oncology you must first complete a general residency (ie - pediatrics or internal medicine) and then apply for a fellowship in onc or heme/onc. As far as I know, there is no such thing as just an oncology residency.

I am intending to go the route of pediatric heme/onc (thus 3 year peds residency + 3 year fellowship). The children's hospital that I worked at in Michigan as an undergrad actually hosted many DO residents, although it was an allopathic teaching hospital affiliated with Michigan State's College of Human Medicine (MD program). Infact, one of the attending physicians in the department of pediatric hematology/oncology is a DO.

I think the key really is to land a strong residency and do well in it. From there locate a good fellowship program and make yourself competitive for it. Most of the DO residents from the teaching hospital in MI landed competitive fellowships in a variety of fields.

Good luck.

j

Speak to Dr. Chris Jordan who is finishing up his IM residency at OMCT (the "O"). He's applying for a Hem/Onc residency right now. His dad is a DO and is also an Oncologist.