Damn Waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaltySqueegee

El Rey de Salsa
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My letter of intent to the schools that have me waitlisted:

Dear SOB's,

I'm sick of this waitlist crap. WTF! It's not like I have a life or anything. God forbid if I wanted to know where/what the **** I'm going/doing next year!

I'm fine... it's not like I'm going to lose it or anything... not LIKE I'm GOING TO FLIP OUTTT!!! Oh yeah, and I like your PBL curriculum...

@$%^@#%&@^&&^@&^^#@*^%*$@#^(@^*($@^(*&@$^(*

ARRRRGHGHGHGHGhghghghghghghhghghghghgh...

Sincerely,
MDTom

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, waitlists are annoying...a part of me feel that, even if eventually accepted, do I really wanna attend a school that didn't think I'm that great?

But then the sensible side of me says it doesn't...but stilll

Originally posted by CalBeE
Yea, waitlists are annoying...a part of me feel that, even if eventually accepted, do I really wanna attend a school that didn't think I'm that great?
QUOTE]

Plus look at the stats. Even a waitlist spot means they picked you out of thousands of other applicants to interview and attend!

They do think you are great, or they would not backlog you on the waitlist. There are only so many spots to give out at once!

Originally posted by CalBeE

Who cares what the school thinks of you?

The bottom line is that you want to go after the school that is the best fit for you. There aren't separate classes for people who got accepted off waitlists. In the Fall, you will be a student of X medical school and that is all that should matter to you.

... ...
.. ......... I've got people skills damnit... what's wrong with you guys, can't you see your arses from your faces? ... I'm a people person...!!!!

muhahahahahhahhh......

MOTHER FVCKERS! EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!

CANT STOP VENTING>>>>>>

There is one waitlist that would make my life so much easier if I were accepted off of it. I am also on the "pre-waitlist" for Tufts (otherwise known as delayed decision).

Oh well. Thankfully this is the month to celebrate being IRISH, so it should pass by quickly.

Originally posted by ForensicPath
Oh well. Thankfully this is the month to celebrate being IRISH, so it should pass by quickly.

LOL
I thought that was every month...

... In one of my classes, my instructor was asked how he dealt with the stresses of his career... he replied back with, "Well... I drink a little more..." He was dead serious. With that, I'm beginning to see why physicians have a high incidence of alcohol and drug abuse.

... still pissed... but feeling slightly better after I got a breath of fresh air.

Waitlists are only tolerable if you are holding an acceptance. I sympathize with your situation, MDTom. Hopefully things work out for you.

The only thing worse than being on the waitlist is being on a waitlist to interview for the waitlist...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SoulRFlare
The only thing worse than being on the waitlist is being on a waitlist to interview for the waitlist...

Funny thing is that I just interviewed for my waitlist at mcw a week ago. :laugh:

I suck! How sad is that.

... ... Well we can't guarantee anything... your odds of getting in are worse than playing the lottery...

... ... so you're telling me there's a chance? ... all right! I have a chance!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
Ohh... you just interviewed. $hit, what did you expect. They probaby put everyone on it at this point. From this thread, there is a good deal of movement from MCW... You'll get in!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50648

Thank you for the link. I feel much better. Still not excited about possibly waiting until May, but still a good number of the schools that waitlisted me are on the "good" fast-moving waitlist.

Thanks again

Also, in case anyone is wondering why I'm ranting, as of today, I have been officially waitlisted at all the schools that I have interviewed at; not just MCW.

Originally posted by MDTom
... ... so you're telling me there's a chance? ... all right! I have a chance!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Winner.

speaking of MCW... I had a pretty good time... I went out with the med students after the social and we each had a pitcher of beer together... talk about getting loosened up the night before an interview. As much fun as that sounds though, I think it says something about the amount of night life there is in milwaukee... hmmm... pubs... more pubs... pubs again... ...;)

Somewhere around 6 wait lists and no out-right acceptances yet. I am getting a little discouraged but trying to keep my head up. Eight interviews out of 15 schools, must have done something right.

:laugh: :laugh: Great letter there, MDTom. So true. Waitlists are teh sux.

Tom, that quote from Office Space is appropriate!

After receiving my thirty-seventh straight waitlist offer (or so it seemed), I started thinking I was some sort of socially inept LOSER that oozed ineptitude out of every single pore of my body. And before I could schedule my appointment to see the social dermatologist, I actually had an interviewer TELL me that I didn't seem very spontaneous. Aside from the fact I was having a lousy day, sick, and running on two hours of sleep, all I could think was... "OH NO! I must SUCK!" Sure enough, I got the big double-yoo eLL from them, and then somone started that post on the forum about a disproportionate number of people with high stats having few social graces. Ashamed, I threw my pocket protector in the trash and unwound the tape off of my glasses.

My friends started trying to poke holes in my application... "Super, you really think a year of solid hospital experience means anything? Your research didn't even come CLOSE to curing any illnesses! You think that writing sample score may have come back to haunt you? Nobody in your family comes from money or has any sort of college affiliation; think that has something to do with it? Did you have a big zit on your nose in the passport photo you forwarded to the admissions offices?"

I became self-critical.

Before I could convince myself that I was no different from the cubby guy in Office Space with the "jump to conclusions mat" and "people skills," I started talking to other applicants who were in my position... and all of them had no problem with talking or with presenting themselves as great people. And few of them claimed to have had any red flags or areas of major deficiency on their applications.

The bottom line is this process just sucks. I know someone who is WLed accross the board and this person is a remarkable, remarkable candidate. Interviewed at extremely competitive schools as well as schools with less money and fewer senators' kids attending. Same results. Numbers high above average, awesome life experiences, top notch clinicalish research, and yup, personality to boot!

Does anybody know how common it is for someone to have a bundle of waitlist offers and to have a few of them turn into acceptances during late spring and summer?

Originally posted by Super Rob
Tom, that quote from Office Space is appropriate!

After receiving my thirty-seventh straight waitlist offer (or so it seemed), I started thinking I was some sort of socially inept LOSER that oozed ineptitude out of every single pore of my body. And before I could schedule my appointment to see the social dermatologist, I actually had an interviewer TELL me that I didn't seem very spontaneous. Aside from the fact I was having a lousy day, sick, and running on two hours of sleep, all I could think was... "OH NO! I must SUCK!" Sure enough, I got the big double-yoo eLL from them, and then somone started that post on the forum about a disproportionate number of people with high stats having few social graces. Ashamed, I threw my pocket protector in the trash and unwound the tape off of my glasses.

My friends started trying to poke holes in my application... "Super, you really think a year of solid hospital experience means anything? Your research didn't even come CLOSE to curing any illnesses! You think that writing sample score may have come back to haunt you? Nobody in your family comes from money or has any sort of college affiliation; think that has something to do with it? Did you have a big zit on your nose in the passport photo you forwarded to the admissions offices?"

I became self-critical.

Before I could convince myself that I was no different from the cubby guy in Office Space with the "jump to conclusions mat" and "people skills," I started talking to other applicants who were in my position... and all of them had no problem with talking or with presenting themselves as great people. And few of them claimed to have had any red flags or areas of major deficiency on their applications.

The bottom line is this process just sucks. I know someone who is WLed accross the board and this person is a remarkable, remarkable candidate. Interviewed at extremely competitive schools as well as schools with less money and fewer senators' kids attending. Same results. Numbers high above average, awesome life experiences, top notch clinicalish research, and yup, personality to boot!

Does anybody know how common it is for someone to have a bundle of waitlist offers and to have a few of them turn into acceptances during late spring and summer?

Great post...very funny...you're definitely not lacking in personality. You'll get in...I'm on 3 waitlists (2 of which I'll do anything to turn into acceptances) so I know what it feels like. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere...If I were a medical school, I'd take you just based on your post!

All my best,
BonBon

admissions directors definitely browse the website so be sure to have some contact info on there. hahahaa 31/3.7 academic all-american track, founded non-profit, hospital vol., world junior orchestra..........7 waitlists

Waitlists are actually good- you will be amazed at the amount of movement that goes on up until the very end. Of course you have to have the stomach for it - so suck it up and the odds are that you will be heading off to somewhere medical( and not necessarily inpatient psych) by the end of the summer. Good luck

I have heard mixed advice re: LOI. Should I send it to the dean? Or to the adcom? Or to my interviewer? ALso, a doc that I work with knows the dean, I'm praying he will take pity on me and call her but I can't ask him (awkward!) to do me such a large favor. If he did, does anyone think that might help?

Will most schools tell you if they are ranked and where you stand?

Also, what are some of the most important ? to ask, since I don't want to make repeated phone calls.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Originally posted by rikkitikki
Waitlists are actually good- you will be amazed at the amount of movement that goes on up until the very end. Of course you have to have the stomach for it...

Man that is really GOOD to hear.

so suck it up and the odds are that you will be heading off to somewhere medical( and not necessarily inpatient psych) by the end of the summer. Good luck

:laugh:

Originally posted by vrazz
I have heard mixed advice re: LOI. Should I send it to the dean? Or to the adcom? Or to my interviewer? ALso, a doc that I work with knows the dean, I'm praying he will take pity on me and call her but I can't ask him (awkward!) to do me such a large favor. If he did, does anyone think that might help?

Will most schools tell you if they are ranked and where you stand?

Also, what are some of the most important ? to ask, since I don't want to make repeated phone calls.

Thanks for any and all advice.

send the letter of intent to the adcom.

not sure about the call...i have never had any kind of connections so i cant imagine what would happen. but from reading the boards...it doesnt seem that these connections guarantee anything since it is a committee that decides (except columbia) and not just one person...

most schools should let you know if their list is ranked or unranked....but not all schools will let you know where you are on the ranked lists.

Letters of intent did precisely jack for me the first time 'round. I have no faith in them. The schools I was waitlisted with last year did not process or acknowledge my f------g change of address much less give my letter of intent a real read.

I've been waitlisted at two schools, and I'm still waiting to hear from the last school (which happens to be my first choice).

I know how ya'll feel. The stress is torture. I think I may be bald by the end of this process from ripping chunks of my hair out of my head. Then if I do get in, I'll be looking like Sinead O'Connor when I start med school. :scared:

I just had an interesting thought. What if on my letter of intent or interest to School X, I signed with my SDN username on accident. :laugh: :wow:

Talk about deep $hit for me... huh.