Dds, Md

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chypes

Caffine Addict
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about how one would go about getting a DDS/MD degree?? What is the progression? My dad is a dentist and he told me that back when he was in school you would get your DDS first then go to med school for usualy 2-3 years instead of the full length....then go to residency in whatever you want to do....ie oral surgery, facial plastic surgery etc. But I have no idea if this still holds true. Do any any school have integrated programs now (like the JD or MBA programs)?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Mayo Medical School offers such a program. I believe you go to medical school first, then specialize in dental surgery. (I could be wrong).

I thought Mayo let in a few DDS's each year to their med program. But I too could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
That link died.

Here is a link to the same program.... http://www.mayo.edu/mms/add_progs.htm

Any one else....I cant seem to find much on the net.....With the huge number of oral surgeons there has to be more than one....and facial plastic surgeons are fairly common too....

There is a lot of information out there on the net.And yes I like Yahoo.:D Go to yahoo.com,scroll down to medicine click on dentistry and then you can browse from there.Because the OMS has the option of either the 4 or 6 year-which would be the MD-you should be able to find it by doing a search for dental schools.As far I as can tell you have to be graduate of Dental school before entering either the 4 or 6 year program.I will try to find the link for you if this does not help.And don't forget about the dental forum.There are a whole lot of great people in there who certainly can give you a more definitive answer on this than I can.You can also do a search by simply typing in "oral and maxillofacial' or something similir.You will probably get a few hits by typing in OMS-but be sure to capitalize the letters.
Hope this helps.:)

The way it works here at Mayo is that you have to get your DDS or DMD at another institution and then apply to their OMS (Oral Maxillofacial Surgery) Program. You then go through 3 years of medical school (a condensed program due to the fact that electives are eliminated) and then you go into your residency. The good thing about it however is that you are paid a residents salary the entire time you are in medical school. So, unlike the rest of us who have to pay to go to medschool, you get paid to go.

Hope this helps.

My best friend is in dental schl, and a friend of his did that. He did the 4 yrs of Dental schl at University of michigan, and now he's going to do 2 rs to get his MD. at some other schl. Cause 1st 2 yrs of dental schl is same as med schl, if not harder.