Declining an acceptance for a Fulbright opportunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amateurbater

Reaction score
Just got named a semi-finalist for a Fulbright but, if I am chosen, I leave in March and come back the next year. I want to defer medical school for a year should I get accepted. However, if a medical school doesn’t let me defer, then how badly would it look on me to decline the acceptance for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity? Would medical schools, on reapplication, understand? Or would they slap an R and throw my pile in the trash? I do want to become a doctor. I see the Fulbright as a step in that journey.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got named a semi-finalist for a Fulbright but, if I am chosen, I leave in March and come back the next year. I want to defer medical school for a year should I get accepted. However, if a medical school doesn’t let me defer, then how badly would it look on me to decline the acceptance for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity? Would medical schools, on reapplication, understand? Or would they slap an R and throw my pile in the trash? I do want to become a doctor. I see the Fulbright as a step in that journey.
Congratulations! Obviously you can see if the deferral policy at schools where you have gotten an offer will allow you. There are schools that won't allow you to defer.

If that happens and you get chosen, you apply again. If asked why you reapplied, tell them about your Fulbright -- if it isn't obvious.

Look up Myron Rolle who is now a neuro resident. Got a Rhodes and even went to the NFL.

You wouldn't want to go to a school that would reject you like that. And that works out for everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! Obviously you can see if the deferral policy at schools where you have gotten an offer will allow you. There are schools that won't allow you to defer.

If that happens and you get chosen, you apply again. If asked why you reapplied, tell them about your Fulbright -- if it isn't obvious.

Look up Myron Rolle who is now a neuro resident. Got a Rhodes and even went to the NFL.

You wouldn't want to go to a school that would reject you like that. And that works out for everyone.
Thank you! That’s good to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
AFAIK, most schools will let you defer for a Fulbright. Free bragging rights for the school when you matriculate one year later. Should be a win-win. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users

Did Myron Rolle turn down an acceptance? Myron Rolle is a 1 in a million story. His path is not a template for any other applicant.

AFAIK, most schools will let you defer for a Fulbright. Free bragging rights for the school when you matriculate one year later. Should be a win-win. Just my thoughts.

I see. I’ve got two follow up questions:

1) I’m unable to receive the message considering I’ll likely be placed in a rural, rural place with no access to Wi-Fi, how will I be able to respond to getting off a waitlist via email? Do medical schools pay the fees to call internationally?

2) This is a dumb hypothetical. If I decide that I love rural medicine, which I doubt I will, could I reapply to medical school during a conditional deffered acceptance? Currently, I’ve applied to big city programs due to a personal interest in a specialty that benefits from it. But my path to medicine might change after this experience.

Last edited:
Did Myron Rolle turn down an acceptance? Myron Rolle is a 1 in a million story. His path is not a template for any other applicant.

He deferred entering the NFL draft for a Rhodes scholarship and then went to medical school after the NFL dream fizzled out. Not quite equivalent. Pretty amazing guy though.

Reactions: 2 users
I see. I’ve got two follow up questions:

1) I’m unable to receive the message considering I’ll likely be placed in a rural, rural place with no access to Wi-Fi, how will I be able to respond to getting off a waitlist via email? Do medical schools pay the fees to call internationally?

2) This is a dumb hypothetical. If I decide that I love rural medicine, which I doubt I will, could I reapply to medical school during a conditional deffered acceptance? Currently, I’ve applied to big city programs due to a personal interest in a specialty that benefits from it. But my path to medicine might change after this experience.
1) unable to receive what message?
2) When a medical school which has accepted you grants a deferral, part of the agreement you sign with them includes NOT being allowed to reapply to other medical schools during your deferral year.
3) Research the schools where you have interviewed to see whether they grant deferrals.
4) With no acceptances so far, you may be pre-worrying too far into the future.

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.