Dentistry harder than Medicine?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internist88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that dents is harder than "normal" meds? Some1 told me this, and it doesn't seem correct. She cited reasons as why its harder than medicine is because:

1. The DAT is harder than the MCAT (any truth to this?)
2. There are fewer spots for rescidencies.
3. Its harder to "break into" the profession in terms of getting a job

any truth to any of this, especially the MCAT thing because that and the DAT are the things that I'm most concerned about right now

Members don't see this ad.

If you're wasting your time thinking about irrelevant questions like the one you posited above, you're in serious trouble.

Blue Tooth said:
If you're wasting your time thinking about irrelevant questions like the one you posited above, you're in serious trouble.

I think day in and day out like as a general dentist is a lot more difficult than a GP MD. We are hunched over working in a small cave all day where as they are mostly just standing up walking from room to room doing exams and writing for tests and drugs.

Members don't see this ad :)
internist88 said:
Is it true that dents is harder than "normal" meds? Some1 told me this, and it doesn't seem correct.

It's really too subjective a question to answer well. But I will answer your 3 specific questions.

Not a chance. The DAT is a cakewalk..

Definitely true. Granted, fewer people want those spots, but it is still a lot tougher to get into the hot dental specialties than the hot medical specialties.

3. Its harder to "break into" the profession in terms of getting a job.
This is true. It usually takes several years of "paying your dues" before you find a really nice position or own your own practice. Think of your first few years as a well paid residency. In that sense, I guess maybe it's about equal.

I took both; bottom line is the the DAT is simply easier than the MCAT. I taught both for Kaplan and the MCAT students were way more annoying and competitive than the DAT students.

I am quoting one of my professors here, this is not me " Dentistry, good choice. I have had to teach both nursing students and dental hygienist, and dental hygienists are usualy way hotter." It should be noted that this was after a few pints of ale.

I am saying I agree with this logic but I thought it was funny.
who cares which one is harder, its apples and oranges.

I agree you are wasting your time with these as your screening questions of why not dentistry. Shadow a dentist and figure out whether or not you could spend years of your life doing that type of work. Sure, the money may or may not be there, and you may be able to get into dental school, but you may also notice that dentists have had pretty high rates of suicide and substance abuse.

Your chances of getting into dental school are less than those of medicine.

reapply2007 said:
...but you may also notice that dentists have had pretty high rates of suicide and substance abuse.

Why do you think that is? :confused:

pmantz said:
I am quoting one of my professors here, this is not me " Dentistry, good choice. I have had to teach both nursing students and dental hygienist, and dental hygienists are usualy way hotter." It should be noted that this was after a few pints of ale.

I am saying I agree with this logic but I thought it was funny.
who cares which one is harder, its apples and oranges.
Thank you pmantz!!!! Drunk talk is usually pretty insightful, so this prof is probably correct.

http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuicide.html

Usually the statistics mentioned in the article are per 100,000. However, the study of suicide rates amongst dentists is currently being re-thought and studied with some studies showing that dentists are closer to the population at large in terms of suicide rate. The earliest, least-friendly findings were published in the '70s. You may notice I said "dentists have had pretty high rates of suicide."

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that its really hard to find a job (well paying or otherwise) after graduation?

L8DYV said:
Your chances of getting into dental school are less than those of medicine.

i know that you are kidding, right?

and if ur thinkin bout what is harder...rahter what u like.. ur a ****** lol

I just wasted a whole 5 minutes reading this thread.... :sleep: :laugh:

stop answering this thread~!!!!! rediculous

biocmp said:
stop answering this thread~!!!!! rediculous

lol sorry my bad. no more responses from me!!

dental schools are harder to get into than med schools b/c you have to be smokin' hot attractive to get into d-school, but if you're ugly then they'll let you in med school. that's why your family physician is so fugly.

Is it true that dents is harder than "normal" meds? Some1 told me this, and it doesn't seem correct. She cited reasons as why its harder than medicine is because:

3. Its harder to "break into" the profession in terms of getting a job

any truth to any of this, especially the MCAT thing because that and the DAT are the things that I'm most concerned about right now

Well if you see it this way... Dental students need to learn all the things med students learn (at least in the first yr of dental school) PLUS they have to know every possible detail about the face and neck and specially the oral cavity. So doctos cover everything but the face and oral cavity, and dental students cover exactly the same as med students and even more... The positive thing is that you end up knowing the human body completely, not just a part of it. And dental school also compensates with manual stuff so its more entertaining in that sense, although you definitely need to have the manual skills and love what youre doing, or you will get DESPERATE. People misunderstand this very often, but its the truth, dental
School is more challenging than med school and its also harder to get in.

In Puerto Rico they only accept 40 students out of like 500 that apply per yr. So you feel VERY satisfied and special once you become one of the "chosen 40". This is also because there is only one dental school in the whole island, whereas med schools, there are like 6, and each one accepts like 80-100 students per yr. Dental
School and Med Schools here are accredited, btw.

Do whatever you want to do, don't think about how hard its going to be. TRY OUT ALL YOUR POSSIBILITIES. I passed the DAT on my first try and got to dental school right away, so its possible... It all is.

Well if you see it this way... Dental students need to learn all the things med students learn (at least in the first yr of dental school) PLUS they have to know every possible detail about the face and neck and specially the oral cavity. So doctos cover everything but the face and oral cavity, and dental students cover exactly the same as med students and even more... The positive thing is that you end up knowing the human body completely, not just a part of it. And dental school also compensates with manual stuff so its more entertaining in that sense, although you definitely need to have the manual skills and love what youre doing, or you will get DESPERATE. People misunderstand this very often, but its the truth, dental
School is more challenging than med school and its also harder to get in.

In Puerto Rico they only accept 40 students out of like 500 that apply per yr. So you feel VERY satisfied and special once you become one of the "chosen 40". This is also because there is only one dental school in the whole island, whereas med schools, there are like 6, and each one accepts like 80-100 students per yr. Dental
School and Med Schools here are accredited, btw.

Do whatever you want to do, don't think about how hard its going to be. TRY OUT ALL YOUR POSSIBILITIES. I passed the DAT on my first try and got to dental school right away, so its possible... It all is.

lol way to bring back a nearly 10 year old post lol... OP is probably already 5 years out :wacky:

Reactions: 1 user