Did anyone here work interesting/adventurous non-medical jobs (peace corps, wild land firefighting, farmhand, etc.) before applying to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello everyone -- I'm a rising senior in college that wants to become a physician, eventually (this I am quite sure of). I do really well in my classes, have multiple summers of research experience, go to a highly competitive school, etc.

I don't want to become a doctor immediately, though. I'd love to work some sort of adventurous job(s) that aren't on the stereotypical path to medical school -- ideally my work would be of service to other people as well. It seems worthwhile to me to get experience working real-world, adult jobs before I am a doctor. Hopefully this isn't an unrealistic vision.

Some ideas that I've brainstormed/sound appealing to me include: peace corps, wildland fire fighter, conservation corps, working as a farmhand, working at a farm that fights food insecurity, etc.

If anyone's currently doing something like this in their preparation for medical school, I'd love to hear about it and get advice from you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had two careers for a total of 14 years before starting med school.

I would suggest doing something that you enjoy. Most employment will give you skills that translate to medicine. Usually, the big one being able to talk with people and being able to communicate.

Reactions: 1 users