Did you Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dude?

I'm sure you've worked hard, but you've had to have caught a few lucky breaks on the way--Why don't you stop being such a D-bag, cause you're the type of person I wouldn't want to have as a colleague

I may be a D-bag, but I call it like I see it... :D

Members don't see this ad.

From the sound of this quote you must not be an EM physician. EM physicians that I've been around are friendly, considerate, personable and just overall cool people. They value and appreciate hard work and stand up for one of their own. That is what I see from the people on this forum that have said nice things towards me. They want to see me succeed as I wanted to see them succeed and was happy when they did. Why is it you want me to fail?

Yes, my board scores weren't the best and so if you look at my application just on that you will not be trully impressed, but everyone that has worked along side me in the ED has acknowledged that I will make an excellent EP. I give a maximum effort as do many FMGs because we're not given many things and so we know we have to earn them.

Frankly, I don't care what you think davbrucas, because even if I may not get an EM spot this year I will get one eventually.

Keep up the positive attitude and good things will happen. Good luck in your quest. :cool:

hang in there dmitrinyr - you have a good attitude.

and Davbrucas: fyi, i'm an fmg. my step one and two scores were in the 70s and low 80s. however, yesterday I found out that I matched into EM. you may call it how you see it but I don't think you're seeing all that well. whatever happened to compassion and humility?

Members don't see this ad :)
LMAO...nope. One of them is about to become one of the Chief Residents and the other two are pretty sharp...and did not have lackluster applications. :cool:

Haterrrrrrrrr :smuggrin: Don't hate the playa homie, hate the game:thumbup:

Its sweet that everyone is being nice to this person that still hasnt matched, but do you really want an underachiever as one of your colleagues? The person went to a foreign medical school for a reason and obviously did not perform well given the "lackluster application" comment. So it isnt a surprise that he is having difficulty. Be more realistic about your situation and apply for an FP spot. I am sure there are still some open.

Davbrucus: When I met you in October and I thought you were an A#s. Throwing this guy under the bus just proves I was right. Have fun in the mediocristan, because that is what you are, mediocre and classless.

PS: I call them how I see 'em as well. Apples.

Congrats to everyone who worked it out today, and best of luck to those still going...

:thumbdown: to the troll. Flaming on Scrmable Day? Honestly? Poor form....

Davbrucus: When I met you in October and I thought you were an A#s. Throwing this guy under the bus just proves I was right. Have fun in the mediocristan, because that is what you are, mediocre and classless.

PS: I call them how I see 'em as well. Apples.

Please tell me how I threw this guy under the bus? :confused: You met me in October? Who are you?

Ah, sorry, I forgot the Pitt County Memorial/ECU filled 8/12 on my original list.

That is where I scrambled into. Very excited! Can't wait to meet all my future colleagues, and see the rest of you at SAEM and ACEP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dmitirnyr,
I reread my post and it sounds much worse than I intended. I apologize for my classlessness. I cannot imagine what you are dealing with right now. :( Good luck tomorrow.

Dmitirnyr,
I reread my post and it sounds much worse than I intended. I apologize for my classlessness. I cannot imagine what you are dealing with right now. :( Good luck tomorrow.

No worries bro. As you can imagine I have other things on my mind. This thread makes it all a bit better.... when you are stuck in a room alone scrambling all day long you feel like you are the only person on the planet and this site helps me to see that there are others out there who wish me well.

Dmitirnyr,

That's better :).

No worries bro. As you can imagine I have other things on my mind. This thread makes it all a bit better.... when you are stuck in a room alone scrambling all day long you feel like you are the only person on the planet and this site helps me to see that there are others out there who wish me well.

:love: aww, that makes me so happy! I think your fellow MS4s all feel your pain because we realize it could have been any one of us, and are wishing we could help. Glad that coming here offers some modicum of comfort for you. Go get 'em today! :mad:

What snoop dogg said. It's just weird hearing about some of the classmates and friends who didn't get in. It kind of makes the whole week a little bittersweet. It makes me a little embarrassed to be so absolutely happy about my own situation when others are having to reevaluate their whole career future. Weird week.

What snoop dogg said. It's just weird hearing about some of the classmates and friends who didn't get in. It kind of makes the whole week a little bittersweet. It makes me a little embarrassed to be so absolutely happy about my own situation when others are having to reevaluate their whole career future. Weird week.

Dude trust me I understand and others in my situation do so as well. I am so very glad that my friends and classmates have had success in the match. Unfortunately my sadness and nervousness overshadows the happiness that I feel for my friends' good fortune. I never wish anyone would not match even when they are going up against me for the same residency spot. I wouldn't wish this misery on anyone, regardless of what they did throughout their lives.

A friend of ours didnt match Ortho and is now begging for Gen Surg Prelim spots. I was thinking about all the hard work that is now for not. All the studying for the boards, the getting up at 430am for her ortho sub-i, all the research done, the traveling and interviewing.

Unfortunately, she did not play the game right and at least at our school, no one tells you the rules ahead of time.

If any awestruck third years are reading this, please take my advice. Other than being a known quantity to the program you are applying, LOR's are the single MOST IMPORTANT part of your application.

I disagree, I think the board scores play a huge role! They are so commonly used as a screening tool that yours need to be good...and speaking from a DO perspective, if you want to get into EM on the MD side, take the USMLE. My school assured me it would not make a difference, but across the board I heard, "so, what were your board scores? Oh you didn't take the USMLE? We don't really know what your COMLEX scores mean." Same thing happened to me in the scramble, programs wanted USMLE and did not knw what to do with my COMLEX scores (which were pretty good, BTW)

Don't get me wrong, LORs are key too, I just don't want people underestimating the importance of board scores!!!

Sorry for the late post. I matched as well. And congrats to xaelia and EMorBust on getting a spot yesterday and good luck today dmitrinyr.

A friend of ours didnt match Ortho and is now begging for Gen Surg Prelim spots. I was thinking about all the hard work that is now for not. All the studying for the boards, the getting up at 430am for her ortho sub-i, all the research done, the traveling and interviewing.

Unfortunately, she did not play the game right and at least at our school, no one tells you the rules ahead of time.

If any awestruck third years are reading this, please take my advice. Other than being a known quantity to the program you are applying, LOR's are the single MOST IMPORTANT part of your application.

I would have to agree with the other poster and say that although LORs are very importan, your board scores will get you looked at. I'm a prime example... I have avg or below avg boards and so many programs didn't even look at the rest of my app or maybe they looked and my great LORs didn't outweight my scores. Right now in the scramble, I am pretty sure that as soon as they see my scores they don't really flip to the next page or the one after that from an EM PD stating that I'll make a great EP one day.

As far as DOs getting MD EM spots with only COMPLEX, I've seen it happen and at good EM spots too. Although many places still want you to have USMLE.

Hey dmitrinyr and anyone else who may be scrambling,

Good luck today. Try to keep your head up, it sounds like you have a good attitude even in this sucky situation. I am from a caribbean school also and know how little help you get from them (ehemm..none) but know that people are hoping for the best for you. Don't give up :)

I have a hypothetical question:

Lets say I get a prelim spot and then fax over a signed contract to them.... then 2 hours later a better spot comes along and offers me a spot. Can I tell the first program that I have reconsidered eventhough I signed a contract? I know that contracts are supposed to be binding but do these things happen and what happens as a result of it?

The funny thing is that I have nothing and my mind wonders to try to understand what would happen in this situation.

First and foremost, congratulations to all who matched and to those who scrambled into EM.

Anyone have any ideas how there were so many open spots this year in the scramble? Just fewer applicants or is the match just that "jacked up"?

First and foremost, congratulations to all who matched and to those who scrambled into EM.

Anyone have any ideas how there were so many open spots this year in the scramble? Just fewer applicants or is the match just that "jacked up"?

I think programs got a tad too overconfident after last year...but who really knows.

I just think some PD might have overestimated how low they can make their ROL in order to fill all spots. I can totally see this happening.. for example, if in the past 3-4 years you program have filled at 70 ranks but you ranked 80-90 each year. These figures might lead you to rank only 70 spots this year and then it just happens that the applicants on your ROL are also on everyone else's and so this year you probably should have ranked 80 and so in the end you have 2 out of 7 spots to fill in the scramble.

I have a hypothetical question:

Lets say I get a prelim spot and then fax over a signed contract to them.... then 2 hours later a better spot comes along and offers me a spot. Can I tell the first program that I have reconsidered eventhough I signed a contract? I know that contracts are supposed to be binding but do these things happen and what happens as a result of it?

The funny thing is that I have nothing and my mind wonders to try to understand what would happen in this situation.

Your option could be to politely ask them to tear it up. At worse they say no.

I would have to agree with the other poster and say that although LORs are very importan, your board scores will get you looked at. I'm a prime example... I have avg or below avg boards and so many programs didn't even look at the rest of my app or maybe they looked and my great LORs didn't outweight my scores. Right now in the scramble, I am pretty sure that as soon as they see my scores they don't really flip to the next page or the one after that from an EM PD stating that I'll make a great EP one day.

you've probably thought of this, but any chance that PD could make any calls for you?

sorry you're in this position - I'm not even in EM but I'm rooting for you.

I'm surprised that PCMH had to scramble to fill 4 spots; I did an away there in trauma surgery, and worked with a lot of the ED residents. They have a great program and the ED residents are cool people and on top of their game. Location is the only thing I can think of as a turn off; but having lived there for a couple months, it's really not bad; I still ranked them (for GS).

I think applicants also got scared by last year. Many of us applied to 20+ programs. Even those of us that were told we'd "go anywhere we want", etc went on well over 10 interviews. I think the average ROL being much longer would decrease the likelihood of programs filling. Just speculation, we will see if it bears out in the analysis.

I think applicants also got scared by last year. Many of us applied to 20+ programs. Even those of us that were told we'd "go anywhere we want", etc went on well over 10 interviews. I think the average ROL being much longer would decrease the likelihood of programs filling. Just speculation, we will see if it bears out in the analysis.

See I think that it has to do more with the rank list of the program rather than the applicant. The avg ROL of an applicant might have been a few spots longer but if the ROL of the avg list of the program was 5-10 shorter, that would result in unfilled spots.

tick, tock, tick tock..... how slowly time goes by and still no love. At least yesterday my whole day was spent calling people up and faxing apps. Now, I'm just left with waiting for a phone call and staring at a stationary cell phone hoping it will ring almost like a teenage school girl sitting by the phone waiting for the boy she likes to call her.

See I think that it has to do more with the rank list of the program rather than the applicant. The avg ROL of an applicant might have been a few spots longer but if the ROL of the avg list of the program was 5-10 shorter, that would result in unfilled spots.

tick, tock, tick tock..... how slowly time goes by and still no love. At least yesterday my whole day was spent calling people up and faxing apps. Now, I'm just left with waiting for a phone call and staring at a stationary cell phone hoping it will ring almost like a teenage school girl sitting by the phone waiting for the boy she likes to call her.

I just don't understand it. Why would it behoove a program to rank fewer applicants, even if they think they won't go that deep? At best, it wouldn't matter anyway since they'd never get that far down on the list. At worst, they don't fill spots and they have to scramble-- and fill the spots with people they don't necessarily know. How does this make sense? Very confusing!

dmitrinyr, i'm thinking good thoughts for you!:luck::luck::luck:

dmitrinyr, I feel for ya. I was in ur same shoes till 15 min ago. I scrambled into an IM/EM spot. I had just finished applying to the 1 yr internships and got the call. Keep on truckin.

I just don't understand it. Why would it behoove a program to rank fewer applicants, even if they think they won't go that deep? At best, it wouldn't matter anyway since they'd never get that far down on the list. At worst, they don't fill spots and they have to scramble-- and fill the spots with people they don't necessarily know. How does this make sense? Very confusing!

dmitrinyr, i'm thinking good thoughts for you!:luck::luck::luck:

I don't understand it either but many programs and their PDs have this thing about wanting a smaller ROL. I guess it shows that their program is more competitive that others....something like "See, it only takes us 50 ranks to fill 8 spots and it takes program B 85 ranks and so our program is more in demand and more competitive".

mind if I ask which program?

I scrambled into the EM program at OVMC-Ohio Valley Medical Center in Wheeling, WV. I got my contract this morning and faxed it in soon after that! YAY!!!! Let me know if anyone else is going there!

I scrambled into the EM program at OVMC-Ohio Valley Medical Center in Wheeling, WV. I got my contract this morning and faxed it in soon after that! YAY!!!! Let me know if anyone else is going there!
Congrats! You'll be a couple hours east of me in Columbus.

It might have to do with the rank list of the program but I think most programs rank everyone they interview with unless they really didnt like them when they talked in person.

I agree with Hard24get's post thou that ppl applied to more programs and thus interviewed at more spots. If a EM program interviews around 10 applicants per spot and most of the interviews end up to top candidates that interview at better programs or other programs they rather be at, when match comes, a lot of the ppl that the EM program ranked end up at another institution that was higher on the applicants list. Since there is a limited number of interview spots, the EM program ends up matching ppl lower on their list (maybe not worse applicant match stats than the year before) and thus run out of ppl on the ROL. Thus I can see high caliber programs going unmatched. Dont know if that made any sense......

It might have to do with the rank list of the program but I think most programs rank everyone they interview with unless they really didnt like them when they talked in person.

I agree with Hard24get's post thou that ppl applied to more programs and thus interviewed at more spots. If a EM program interviews around 10 applicants per spot and most of the interviews end up to top candidates that interview at better programs or other programs they rather be at, when match comes, a lot of the ppl that the EM program ranked end up at another institution that was higher on the applicants list. Since there is a limited number of interview spots, the EM program ends up matching ppl lower on their list (maybe not worse applicant match stats than the year before) and thus run out of ppl on the ROL. Thus I can see high caliber programs going unmatched. Dont know if that made any sense......

It makes sense to me when stated that way.

There's even politics in ranking. I rotated through the Elmhurst ED when I was a prelim IM intern, and did a month that same year at Mt. Sinai. Residents loved me, and made that known. I even had a PGY2/EM1 ask me if I could cover her shift when I was doing my regular IM thing.

But Shelly Jacobsen - the chair of EM at Mt. Sinai - wouldn't take me because I was an FMG - the only FMGs they take are from Sackler in Israel. It was his direction that I not be ranked. Interestingly, that year Mt. Sinai didn't fill - that's when I found out I wasn't ranked.

Agreed.

Just to add to thekoman, I honestly don't believe programs purposely try to shorten their ROL so that they can appear more competitive when they fill. As far as I know, the length of a program's ROL is not publicly released so there would be no incentive for programs to brag about how they didn't have to go that far down their lists. Even when you match into a program you will probably never know where you were ranked.

I'm sure much like applicants, programs would hate to have to scramble. I would think programs would want to rank as many of their interviewed applicants as possible because going unfilled (which is pretty much public information) is much more damaging to their reputation than going all the way to the bottom of their rank list.

I don't understand it either but many programs and their PDs have this thing about wanting a smaller ROL. I guess it shows that their program is more competitive that others....something like "See, it only takes us 50 ranks to fill 8 spots and it takes program B 85 ranks and so our program is more in demand and more competitive".

Keep calling places today, and get any attending you know (that knows you well) to call on your behalf.

Manik, ya...see ya tomorrow. BBQ was fun yesterday.

Anywayz, for those of us that matched, here is last years stats
US seniors - all specialties
58% - 1st choice
16% - 2nd choice
10% - 3rd choice
5% - 4th choice
10% - >4th choice

That gives us good odds to match top 4 - 90% total. Good luck everyone!!! Congrats!!

Manik, ya...see ya tomorrow. BBQ was fun yesterday.

Anywayz, for those of us that matched, here is last years stats
US seniors - all specialties
58% - 1st choice
16% - 2nd choice
10% - 3rd choice
5% - 4th choice
10% - >4th choice

That gives us good odds to match top 4 - 90% total. Good luck everyone!!! Congrats!!

Koman, see you tomorrow bro. That was some bomb@$$ BBQ.

Is that a new program? I thought the only EM program in WV was in Morgantown?

Not a new program, but it is an osteopathic program. There are 3 EM residencies in WV as far as I know. One in Morgantown (MD), one in Charleston at CAMC (DO) and one in Wheeling at OVMC (DO). I have heard rumor that the one in Charleston is thinking about applying for dual accreditation soon so that they will be both a DO and an MD residency.

matched...good luck to you all

Matched! (Please Lord let it be somewhere warm!!)

Good Luck to everyone!