Does a nontrad background help in anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenGeek

PGY4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think a nontraditional background of IT/Finance is something that can intrigue programs to interview someone? MS3 in early 30s, couple that with average stats (222, mostly Bs, no publications), is it all enough to make the cutoff for interviews at top places? I know questions like this get posted but I am specifically asking with regard to the nontrad factor.

Members don't see this ad.

You are likely to get enough interviews to match into Anesthesia given those stats. In my opinion, everyone has (or should have) some interesting life experience that sets them apart. Yours happens to be a non-traditional route into medicine. I can't say from experience whether or not it will bolster your application much. Having said that, TOP programs are unlikely to interview you but you'll probably have no problem getting into the field.

If you were doing something positive with your life before med school, and have reasonable application statistics, I don't think being a non-traditional student is going to automatically exclude you from most programs, per se. There are nontrads who matched to top-tier, mid-tier, and low-tier programs this year.

I think it depends more on how you portray your experience to make you look like an outstanding anesthesiology resident candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you can find a way to make it help you (i.e. IT guy savvy with computers ready to help usher in the next wave of CMR; finance guy ready to help improve the efficient and effective delivery of medical care) then it will probably help you. otherwise, its probably just a note like "ran track" or "loves dogs"...either way, i think its unlikely to get you more interviews.

no, your stats are too low for "top" places

You should be able to get a good number of interviews with those stats, especially if you apply widely. I think the nontrad background that you are referencing is really neither here nor there - it won't exclude you from interviews, but it probably won't be seen as an additional selling point, unless by some coincidence there is a faculty member with your same kind of background. However, your background may be more useful when the time comes to look for jobs, as a way to set yourself apart to future employers. So, less useful for gaining a residency spot, but possibly useful for landing a job post-residency. Good luck.

Do you think a nontraditional background of IT/Finance is something that can intrigue programs to interview someone? MS3 in early 30s, couple that with average stats (222, mostly Bs, no publications), is it all enough to make the cutoff for interviews at top places? I know questions like this get posted but I am specifically asking with regard to the nontrad factor.

Being a non-trad probably won't hurt you and might even help you. I am older than you with a similar work background and get offered 17 interviews this year (out of 33 apps). The only thing that might filter you out from some top programs is your Step score. Not sure what cutoff they use however so I would still go ahead and apply. If you don't apply you definitely won't get an interview!

I don't think the non trad factor will help you get more interviews, but it won't hurt you in any way either. But once get the interview, you have a great opportunity to play it to your advantage once you do secure an interview. I am 31 and worked in the business world for a few years before starting med school. I was just on the interview trail, and I found that I had a lot to talk about because I was at the same stage of life as many of the docs I interviewed with. This may have had more to do with being married and having small kids, but I still think you would have an advantage in life experiences over the 26yr olds who have been in school nonstop for the last 20yrs. The only way I can think of this helping you get interviews would be if you could incorporate some of these experiences into your personal statement.
good luck with your app

Sincere thanks to each and every single responder. That was very encouraging.

I was just on the interview trail, and I found that I had a lot to talk about because I was at the same stage of life as many of the docs I interviewed with. This may have had more to do with being married and having small kids, but I still think you would have an advantage in life experiences over the 26yr olds who have been in school nonstop for the last 20yrs. The only way I can think of this helping you get interviews would be if you could incorporate some of these experiences into your personal statement.
good luck with your app

Totally true - I had the most pleasant time on my interviews, and much of that had to do with being able to hold an intelligent conversation about life, the universe, and everything other than medicine. Whatever drawbacks being a nontrad brought to getting into medical school, I think, at this stage in the game, that nontrad background will be one of your aces.

Kill your step II, and good luck with next year!