Does networking with Directors of Admissions help when applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungMoneyMint

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since late March, I've spoken with 4 directors of admission (won't name the schools) and admissions staff at 2 more. I've followed up with said directors a couple of times at different admissions events, and I'm sure that they now know my name (as they remembered me the second time we spoke.) My question is: will this be helpful for admission when I apply to their school? I am above the accepted MCAT and GPA medians for these schools, and fit their missions very well. One school is a T20, one is a T25, and the other four are T40.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It can help a tad especially when writing “why us” essays but much less helpful than interacting with PDs for residency interviews or managing directors/VPs/associates for banking interviews. In most of the latter cases, these individuals have near unilateral power to give somebody an idea interview or position (not associates). This is not the case in med school admissions. From what I’ve heard, not even the Dean of admissions can override the committee.

Reactions: 1 users
It depends on your definition of "help," but I encourage it to be able to connect with other current students so that you can get the culture of the school earlier. We can give a little insight as allowed on the process and interviewing or visiting campus. But we do look out for students that got with who they are and want to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't hurt (unless you're being super annoying about it). Every little thing helps and can push them over the line to interview you if you're borderline.

@aldol16 I think I was a little bit annoying to the first one I networked with (was nervous so I talked a little too much), which is unfortunate because it's one of my top choices. I've since been pretty good about only asking questions that I genuinely need answers to though.

@aldol16 I think I was a little bit annoying to the first one I networked with (was nervous so I talked a little too much), which is unfortunate because it's one of my top choices. I've since been pretty good about only asking questions that I genuinely need answers to though.
If it's before you apply, in general I wouldn't worry. You get really annoying if you keep pestering the admissions team about interview invitations or waitlist movement... every other day.

Reactions: 2 users
@gyngyn Would you recommend I stop trying to network then? I don’t want to do anything that would harm my chances of getting in.

@gyngyn Would you recommend I stop trying to network then? I don’t want to do anything that would harm my chances of getting in.
If you have gotten answers to your questions, this would be a good time to stop.
There may be a point (much further in the process) when a brief contact is ok.

Reactions: 6 users
It can help a tad especially when writing “why us” essays but much less helpful than interacting with PDs for residency interviews or managing directors/VPs/associates for banking interviews. In most of the latter cases, these individuals have near unilateral power to give somebody an idea interview or position (not associates). This is not the case in med school admissions. From what I’ve heard, not even the Dean of admissions can override the committee.
At least one DO school holds a seat that the Dean can fill however they choose each year. The former Dean apparently never invoked that ability, unsure about the current one. Unfortunately for SDN, I got the sense the seat was created at some point to benefit less academically gifted family friends within the Dean’s network, not random applicants who contact the admissions staff with “insightful” questions every few days.

The LCME would consider this a serious breach.
Apologies if I’m wrong and I hope not to spread misinformation. Perhaps I misinterpreted what this person said when I spoke to them. Not the dean directly.

Apologies if I’m wrong and I hope not to spread misinformation. Perhaps I misinterpreted what this person said when I spoke to them. Not the dean directly.
DO schools have different rules, so it may have been perfectly ok per their accreditation organization.

I doubt that the Dean even sees your application. That’s the job of the Admissions Committee.

Oh yes it can.
Only the committee can accept you, but the admissions staff can do a lot to keep you out!

Hence "don't be annoying."