Does taking an algebra class in undergrad before pre-calc look worse to med schools than just starting at pre-calc, or do they not care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amber032

Reaction score
I haven't been in HS in years and don't really remember the algebra that well.
The college I'm going to wont let you take pre-calc unless you either pay for and pass their own math assessment test, or take a basic algebra class 1st.
I studied for and took the SAT over a year ago and got an average score on the math portion, but when I recently took the school's math assessment practice test, I failed it. It was the same math that was tested on the SAT, but I forgot a lot of it. (& they won't accept SAT math scores in replacement of their test)
I can self-study for the math again for their assessment test and will probably pass, or I can take the basic algebra class instead.
I'm just wondering if it'll look better on my application if I skip the algebra class and have my 1st math class as pre-calc, or if it won't really matter as long as I have all the upper-level math courses later on?

Members don't see this ad.

Math is irrelevant as long as you get As and Bs unless you plan to attend a Med Engineering program. Get a semester of stats and some other class and you're good at like 90% of schools.

Reactions: 1 user
If you passed algebra before, I'd study and retake the exam.

Otherwise, I don't know what you're majoring in. And I'm not sure it would make a difference to most graduate programs except... math. Check your academic advisors.

Members don't see this ad :)
The college I'm going to wont let you take pre-calc unless you either pay for and pass their own math assessment test, or take a basic algebra class 1st.
I studied for and took the SAT over a year ago and got an average score on the math portion, but when I recently took the school's math assessment practice test, I failed it. It was the same math that was tested on the SAT, but I forgot a lot of it. (& they won't accept SAT math scores in replacement of their test)
I can self-study for the math again for their assessment test and will probably pass, or I can take the basic algebra class instead.
I'm just wondering if it'll look better on my application if I skip the algebra class and have my 1st math class as pre-calc, or if it won't really matter as long as I have all the upper-level math courses later on?
Some medical schools get over 10,000 applications. Med schools don't have the time or inclination to paw over every applicant's transcript. Take the basic algebra class and get an A. You need a bucket full of A's. That class will get you started.

You should also know that most medical schools still don't require calculus. If you live in a state with a state supported medical school, go to that school's website and look at its admission requirements. See how much math it requires. You might need one semester of calculus and one semester of biostatistics. Don't go crazy and take calculus-based physics and differential equations. There's no need for that.

Reactions: 2 users
Neither will look better or worse, so long as you do well. It may be faster to take the test again which will give you more time to take another pre requisite or begin other activities for holistic review.

Most schools don’t require calculus but some require physics. Depending on your undergraduate institution, that may be offered in algebra-based and/or calculus-based. The latter is more traditional but perhaps more difficult. Figure out which kind of physics your school offers and that will guide you on whether you need algebra or calculus.

You are way overthinking this, and no one will care.

Nobody cares

Do what will help you understand the material the most/get the best grades

When you take physics, it will likely be algebra-based unless you take the calculus one. At my University, that was mainly just for physics and engineering majors though. So definitely wouldn't hurt to take an algebra course. I took college algebra my first semester of college, then pre-cal the second semester.

To add to this discussion, I see that the various "top tier" Med schools (Yale, Stanford, etc) want Calculus, Statistics, and ideally some sort of course in Epidemiology (which, at the different Texas schools I am research, wides vary, one school calls it "Epidemiology in Public Health" and another one might call it "Epidemiology"

Question

1. Should both Calculus and Statistics be taken? If yes, can they be taken at a junior college, over a summer? does this "look less favorably" on a transcript? One year (two semesters) of both? Or one semester of each?

2. Has anyone taken Epidemiology? Should be try to chase this class down or spend our energy on other stuff ?

Thank you

To add to this discussion, I see that the various "top tier" Med schools (Yale, Stanford, etc) want Calculus, Statistics, and ideally some sort of course in Epidemiology (which, at the different Texas schools I am research, wides vary, one school calls it "Epidemiology in Public Health" and another one might call it "Epidemiology"

Question

1. Should both Calculus and Statistics be taken? If yes, can they be taken at a junior college, over a summer? does this "look less favorably" on a transcript? One year (two semesters) of both? Or one semester of each?

2. Has anyone taken Epidemiology? Should be try to chase this class down or spend our energy on other stuff ?

Thank you
Yale does not recommend calculus.
Stanford does not require calculus.

Stats is always useful.