EC assesment...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I think my EC's kind of suck and am curious to see what if anything you guys think I can do this late in the game (I apply next year). My EC's will look somewhat like this when I apply:

Involvment with political groups on campus
Rowing (1 year)
Started running club on campus
doing research in organic chem (but I just recently started this)
Shadowing in hospital (less than a year)

So yeah my EC's kind of suck(no one to blame but me really). What to do? :(

Members don't see this ad.

I know it is hard to say much without all the information (I wrote the noob faq afterall:laugh: :laugh:) so here is the rest. I will likely have ~3.7GPA when I apply and though I havent taken the MCAT yet, I scored close to a 30 on my first practice test (aamc 3R) with almost no preparation so I assume I will be able to do fairly well on it in April (not bragging just saying how it is:)). Anyhow, just curious what you guys think as I am considering doing something like an MPH before I apply (both because I want one and because I think it will likely make me a stronger applicant).

You'll destroy the MCAT and your grades are excellent, so we can assume you'll get interviews.

Research in the "sciences" will look great if you apply to bigshot programs. Every third or fourth interviewer will ask you about it and subsequently fall asleep while you explain yourself. :D Nonetheless, it pays!

Also, you are quite an athlete! The rowing team and your running club require significant time and discipline, and you can bet the committees will make note of that!

Cerberus, I'm really in no position to evaluate anybody else's application, but I can almost guarantee you that each and every interviewer you come across will question whether or not you have enough clinical experience to determine if a career in medicine is right for you! Perhaps you do, but you can never apply to med school with too much exposure to medicine. I once had a nice, little job working with a team of doctors and nurses. Decent exposure. Nonetheless, I'm getting GRILLED at interviews because in my "year off" (derogatory way of saying "not in school and penniless") I chose a nonmedical job with benefits over some low paying, per diem hospital work (nobody would hire me full time cuz they figured I'd request oodles of time off for interviews... almost loosing the job I have now over it!)

Yikes, I've been venting! :rolleyes: Sorry. :D

Your ECs are GREAT! Just get a job at a hospital, a nursing home, become an EMT if you can afford to shell out the bucks for training and certification, or even volunteer! You can never have enough exposure to medicine!

Beef up your clinical experience and your interviewers can concentrate more on asking you silly, ethical questions!

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
do you list how many hours you were involved with each EC on applications or just 2 months, a year ect.

On AMCAS they have you list the dates to and from, and also an approximate number of hours per week

Each secondary application is different (some hours per week, some dates, some total hours!) It's funny how many secondaries ask you for pretty much the same stuff that is on AMCAS.

It's even funnier how the same questions get asked again at most "open" interviews. :)

You'll have plenty of opportunities to describe the extent of your involvement in ECs.

Hope this helps.

Cerberus, try volunteering. ;)

Originally posted by kwanny
Cerberus, try volunteering. ;)

heresy!

Honestly, I have filed out applications to volunteer at the hospital but jsut havent heard anything back:( Plus, I really wonder how volunteering could get me better clinical exposure than hanging out with trauma residents (the shadowing thing) like I have been doing.

sometimes hospitals get swamped with people who want to volunteer, and some hospitals are extremely picky. you can look elsewhere and think about volunteering at an AIDs clinic or something like that. it would still be volunteering, and it would have an extra added dimension to your ECs. your ECs look good though, just keep up the clinical and the research. i also think that the schools will like the fact that you row, it's highly respected and shows a lot of teamwork capability. just rock the mcat and the rest will be history.

Originally posted by Abraham
i applied 4 weeks ago to 4 hospitals no word yet how long does it usually take to hear back??

i've been waiting 5+ months:laugh: :laugh: I dont think they are going to call back though:( I dont know what the problem is, I look good on paper:confused:

Abraham, I assume you mean you applied to volunteer. If so, you should contact the director of the volunteers and see what is going on. I shouldn't take that long. Tell them you really want to get started ASAP.

Cerberus, You are really lacking in clincial volunteer time. Do you have any free health clinics in your town that use volunteers? They are a great place to get involved with direct patient contact. If you have a medical school in the smae area, the dean of admissions can be a wonderful resource for you to find out where you can get patient contact volunteer jobs. That is how I found out about the free clinic.

Nursing homes are another great source for volunteer jobs.
Wherever you go, you need to start now. Schools are looking for more of a commitment than just a few months. The sooner the better. And I would call the hospital back to find out about the volunteering postitions wher you can be of the greatest help to the patients. Although it is fun to shadow, it really doesn't get you involved.

Originally posted by Cerberus
heresy!

Honestly, I have filed out applications to volunteer at the hospital but jsut havent heard anything back:( Plus, I really wonder how volunteering could get me better clinical exposure than hanging out with trauma residents (the shadowing thing) like I have been doing.

I'm not sure what you have done w/ trauma residents but I think it is good to have direct experience with patients. Also volunteering shows that you have compassion and concern for others, which are integral components of a being a good physician.

cerberus, i think you're being too hard on yourself :) you really do have a lot of involvement in some unique things - i.e. the running/rowing, to which you've shown a lot of committment (plus initiative in getting a club started at your school). poli sci is also a non-cookie cutter type of activity which is great...as far as medical stuff goes, you have shadowing, which is your experience in a clinical setting. the research is a plus as well (as long as you're actually contributing rather than simply cleaning glassware ;) ) . i agree w/other posters that some hard-core volunteering will clinch your application, except i hate to recommend volunteering "just because" it will make your application strong - i.e. you should ideally be motivated to do it b/c you really want to help etc. etc. why don't you try working through the contact you have through the doctor you're already shadowing to get some opportunities...or see if there are any free health clinics run by the med school nearest you; just anything to get your foot in the door.

my only advice is to keep pursuing the things you're really, sincerely passionate about so that passion will come thru when you go to interview. it doesn't necessarily have to be science-related.

good luck!

Originally posted by spumoni620
poli sci is also a non-cookie cutter type of activity which is great...as far as medical stuff goes

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Unless you're like the class prez, I really think the poli sci stuff is about as cookie cutter as they come. Only thing that could be any phonier is "pre-med society member". I'm sure this offended half the people on SDN considering we ALL have this kind of stuff... and we all know it took less than 3hours / week.

Cerebus
As far as your overall EC's, I'm guessing you have a year left, I'd say you're doing pretty nicely, if you don't get the volunteering do more shadowing. I don't think your ECs are gonna keep you out of a school if you know what I mean... just your grill. ;)

i signed up to work at the LA free clinic a few years ago... a YEAR later i got some random phone call about volunteering. naturally i was confused and told her i had no idea what she was talking about. of course right after i hung up the phone and thought about it for a second i realized it was the clinic. their loss, i say.

Originally posted by peterockduke
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Unless you're like the class prez, I really think the poli sci stuff is about as cookie cutter as they come. Only thing that could be any phonier is "pre-med society member". I'm sure this offended half the people on SDN considering we ALL have this kind of stuff... and we all know it took less than 3hours / week.

Cerebus
As far as your overall EC's, I'm guessing you have a year left, I'd say you're doing pretty nicely, if you don't get the volunteering do more shadowing. I don't think your ECs are gonna keep you out of a school if you know what I mean... just your grill. ;)

First off, polisci is different than being active with political groups. In any case, there are very few things that are not cookie-cutter, and Im surprised peterockduke doesnt consider being class prez cookie-cutter, since its basically a stupid popularity contest (need I remind pete of that hot girl who got elected for wearing Britney Spears-esque outfits on her election posters and won, but then committed some election violation).

So if youre interested in political advocacy, keep doing what youre doing. The fact is, being non-cookie cutter is absolute BS. Everything has been done before. All adcoms care about is depth of interest and your commitment in said activity. Is political advocacy is your thing, stick with it. If singing in a choir or working with habitat or doing student govt is your thing, do it. While a lot of these things can be mistaken to be cookiecutter, the fact is its only the people that do things half-assed just for the sake of doing them that get screwed.

And heck, there are gunners in ECs as well, who try to do a little bit of everything and dont do it well. Those people that are president of every club, but leave all the work to be done by the other officers since they only care about putting it on their app.

So if you like something, just stick with it. The AMCAS and secondaries will give you space to talk about your most important activities, and it asks for how much time you spent also. Its more important to have committed yourself to something, especially something youre interested in and enjoy, than to have done noncookie cutter things just for the sake of being noncookie cutter-- and in so doing, gain nothing from the experience and have nothing to talk about at the interview.

Also, on paper, I might be the most cookie cutter applicant ever, because it just happened that my interests were what most premeds were told to do by stupid premed guidebooks. And I did just fine, and that has more to do with the amount of time I spent doing these things and how I was able to talk about them at interviews.

Oh yeah, I talked about politics at every interview (sports was also a frequent topic), so who knows, it might be helpful.

Im sure yall do fine Cerb, and just in case you hadnt thought of this, have you ever thought of asking your own doc about anyone they might know who would let you shadow. Im guessing you already tried looking at your schools hospital. Academic hospitals seem much better at taking in students than private ones, just based on their mission.

I figured you might want another point of view. I'm also semi weak in the volunteering aspect, but keep in mind they look for EXPOSURE, not any type specifically. If you have a good thing going with shadowing, stick with it. You won't get jack out of volunteering, other than being a master bed maker.

I limited myself to just a couple of EC's. I'm only involved with one campus club/society (Psi Chi), and the EC's I participate in are incredibly time-consuming. 10+ hours/week for one, and once I start the other it will add another 5-6 hours/week. Unfortunately, I won't start the second until I'm (hopefully) interviewing.

I started out volunteering at a hospital, found it was boring, and had myself put on inactive status. Tried to find work in a hospital, no good. Applied for a spot at the free clinic as a volunteer, no good. I shadowed a doc between then, and will probably reluctantly go back to the hospital in late January.

Don't be too concerned with quantity. You need to be able to say more than just, "I did this.." at an interview. Pick a few things you enjoy and stick with it, that's my best advice.