Embryology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OB1🤙

Breaking Good
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sucks. That is all.

Members don't see this ad.

embryology is the worst torture ever imposed upon medical students.

Members don't see this ad :)
neuro rules. just kidding, i haven't done it yet.

Originally posted by Samoa
Yes, but anatomy is OVER! Bonus: I passed, despite everything. Woohoo! :clap: :clap: :thumbup: :hardy:

Nice. It is definitely sweet to have anatomy over and done with. But Embryo and Histo- you could teach the pertinent parts of these classes in maybe a week max, and leave the rest of the time for information we'll actually have to know at some point after Step 1. Thinking about it, I probably hate histo more than embryo, just because I know that as a doctor, I will spend exactly zero time looking at stuff through a microscope. I could care less what something looks like under 40x magnification, just tell me how to freaking treat it once the pathologist figures out what the little pink blobs are.

First year is stoopid.

embryo saved my ass on my last anatomy exam -- phew!! thank god for embryo (even though i'd have to agree that it and histo are pretty lame classes).

i think i've gotten every single embryo question wrong since i started medical school. i might be exaggerating a little, but i can safely say it's less than 25%, which is slightly better than random guessing.

Ah, the procrastination continues...

It's hard to get going when I know how much time it's going to take me to finish going through the learning objectives and the rest of my study plan, and I have several hours extra between now and the test.

Aw, I have to give shout-out supporting embryo and anatomy. They're my favorite parts of first year. Yes, I am one of those people that does really well with rote memorization. This is why. And, I can picture things in 3-D form in my head really well which is super-helpful for embryo.

Embryology sucks.

It's the most boring and useless subject I can think of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, you guys are bringing me back some embryo nightmares. Thank God we're on to actually interesting and useful stuff now (especially physio). I'm so glad we finally get to use math and physics, as completely lame as that sounds. I like solving problems, I freaking HATE just memorizing/forgetting useless crap. This semester should be way better than last.

My condolences to anyone suffering through embryo now.

Three words...High Yield Embryology. All you ever, ever need to know about embryology as a medical student. For that matter, the entire high yield series is pretty solid as far as the subjects like anatomy, histo, embryo, and behavioral sciences are concerned. Don't use the Biochem even though its tempting. THAT, my friends, is the worst subject on earth...Biochemistry.

Originally posted by Galaxian
THAT, my friends, is the worst subject on earth...Biochemistry.
I think embryo is at least neat in the sense that you learn how you come from some little tiny egg and sperm. Biochem was way worse in my opinion than embryo.

i hate anatomy. unfortunately we are only like 10% through it :(.

I hate all the subjects. :(

Yes, all the subjects are terrible.

Even if you went into them interested, after about 20 pages into any syllabus is usually enough to make you want to shoot yourself.

Sorry guys, but I couldn't help but drop in and post my views. I'm in complete agreeance that any interest I had in Neuro, Anatomy, Histology, Embryo, etc. PRIOR to starting dental school has now been completely stripped from me.

How is it that profs can take something I have an interest in and turn me completely against it?

:D

Originally posted by Samoa
My god! How long does your anatomy class last?

we started it right before winter break. before that we had biochem, molecular/cell bio, and genetics. it goes well into the spring (along with some other classes like physio), though i'm not sure exactly when it ends cause i don't want to scare myself by looking at the schedule ;). i'm just trying to take it one day at a time...

Some people may think that they are lucky that they have anatomy and embryo out of the way. I?ve still got a couple of months left and am pretty happy with that. Yes, embryo does indeed suck. The most difficult part is taking the words in Moore, translating them into 2-D pictures, and them converting them into 3-D in your head... which usually ends up giving me a major headache... but once I get started with anatomy the pain quickly disappears :)

Biochem, on the other hand, is pure evil. And thank the lord it is over and done with. If I ever have to learn another disease associated with one of those damn cycles again...

I hated embryo, but I ended up doing well in it because our professor was awesome.

Anatomy...worst 5 months of my life. I couldn't wait until that damn class was over.

Histo also sucked (especially with a professor you couldn't understand). But anatomy was still worse.

Of our second year systems, I hated cardio. The subject was interesting enough, I just couldn't get it to stick in my brain. Halfway through MS-III, I still can't read an EKG to save my life.

My winner for worst subject: ANATOMY.

May I suggest "Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dubin? Surprisingly, it does exactly what the title says. I remember looking at it and getting through the first 30 pages pretty quickly. But after that things started getting a little confusing-- but that was before I entered med school. I was hoping to look at it again next year. But now that I have gotten a glimpse into how second year works at my school is, all I can do is hope that I have some spare time to peek into this lovely book.

I have that book, and while some things like A-fib I can easily recognize, some others I just can't see. When an attending says "Read this EKG for me," my brain freezes.

I just don't think my brain is programmed to understand anything cardiology-related :)

read part of this other EKG book

The only EKG book you'll ever need.
by Thaler?

its a pretty good book. I still got my problems with reading EKGs though.
But Ive still got some time to learn it still. We touched it lightly in physio and will hit it again next term when I take Intro to Clinical Medicine.

Embryo was rolled into our Histology course which is given before we took Anatomy.

Some of the embryo made some sense once I learned Anatomy. But overall, all 3 of those courses sucked and Im glad Im done with them!