EMT, BCLS, ACLS certs improve med school acceptance chances??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajmeister

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating whether EMT, BCLS, and ACLS certs will impove my chances of getting into med school. What do you all think?? I am going to become EMT certified regardless; volunteering for a local rescue squad is something I'd really enjoy doing. But will these certs give me an edge when it comes time to apply to med school. Common sense would have me believe 'yes' it would give me an edge, but would it be that big of an edge?

Members don't see this ad.

God I hope so... I'm an EMT-B, but seriously, you should do it, its a lot of fun. I've definitely included it in a couple of my essays, and I guarantee it'll come up in interviews. Perhaps there's no formal advantage, but it'll at least give you something to say.

I don't think the certifications themselves will help you get in, but the experience of being a BCLS/ACLS certified EMT will help you gain experience and will give you something interesting to talk about at interviews. I devoted about half of my personal statement to my experiences as an EMT.

Side note: good luck with EMS!! I was an EMT for 3 years and I absolutely loved it (even if a patient did try to kill me on my very first night. no joke. why yes i am an adrenaline junkie ;)). Have fun!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Sweet Tea
I don't think the certifications themselves will help you get in, but the experience of being a BCLS/ACLS certified EMT will help you gain experience and will give you something interesting to talk about at interviews. I devoted about half of my personal statement to my experiences as an EMT.

Side note: good luck with EMS!! I was an EMT for 3 years and I absolutely loved it (even if a patient did try to kill me on my very first night. no joke. why yes i am an adrenaline junkie ;)). Have fun!!

Sweet Tea, please do tell about your first night.

Seriously, I'd like to hear about it. I want to know what I should expect. Rock on fellow adrenaline junkie+pissed+ ;) :) :laugh:

consider the certs as if you were applying with any other healthcare experience (RN, PT, etc.). they would probably have some notion that you have experience with medicine, but make sure to show what you learned from the experience in your app.

with that in mind, you will get plenty of good stuff for the personal statements. also, you will probably encounter some ethical dilemmas as well, which is another thing that can only help you in your interviews.

good luck with EMS!

I'm a licensed paramedic, with ACLS, BTLS, PALS, and training in RSI, pericardiocentesis, 12-leads ... It doesn't over come the numbers game so don't count on it! :mad: Jaded:mad:

I worked as an EMT in NYC for about 1 year. I also filled about 60% of my amcas personal statement with my experiences as an EMT and how it will help me as a doctor. I personally liked working on an ambulance. Sometimes, I couldn't stand the fact that we would never get an actual break for lunch and so we always ate in the truck. I couldn't stand that. I also have some good stories and some very memorable former patients.

Good luck with everything.

dmitri

Originally posted by rajmeister
Sweet Tea, please do tell about your first night.

Seriously, I'd like to hear about it. I want to know what I should expect. Rock on fellow adrenaline junkie+pissed+ ;) :) :laugh:

you have a PM coming your way :)

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
you have a PM coming your way :)

aww man! why dont you share with all of us!?!

I've worked as an EMT-B for two years and I thought the experience was wonderful. As dmitrinyr said you'll have a lot more to talk about and have a more realistic view of the medical field. However, don't expect it to make up for lackluster grades/MCAT scores.

i dunno about the admission stuff but i have spoken to several friends who were EMT-I and EMT-P folks before starting med school. they said that the skills they learned on the job (phelbot, intubation, IV, etc) didn't really do much help in the 1st 2 years of med school but really helped give them a boost when they hit the wards. i'm not an EMT but i imagine the exposure to just the lingo, atmosphere and skiills would be some positive bump for some parts of your clinical education in med school.