Flight opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swaamedic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which residencies have a flight program attatched where the residents become active flight crew members and not just observers? I only know of 3:
UCONN
UI Peoria
Indy

If anyone is aware of other programs please post.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I believe Case Western and Akron General also have the same thing, they both can fly time on the same helicopter crew as crew members and not just observers in Cleveland.

Medical College of Wisconsin has a very active program as well. Residents are paired with a flight nurse or medic and are not simply observers.

'zilla

Members don't see this ad :)
Cinci, Pitt, UofC also...

I think Henry Ford can opt to fly on Case Western's chopper also....

UMass does, not UCONN. UCONN residents don't normally fly with Lifestar (Hartford Hospital).

St Vincent's in Toledo
Little Rock - fly for the children's hospital

Mayo Clinic residents fly as flight physicians during the last 2 years of residency. The program pays for our licenses in Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin, since we serve each of those states with our helicopters.

Akron Gen can opt to fly with the Cleveland Metro Health I believe but it's not the same consistent experience that the Metro residents get.

West Virginia has a month 3rd year exclusively for flight med.

At my interview at UCONN, I was told that the residents often fly with lifestar, unlike what a previous poster said.

At UConn, the residents can fly on an elective basis, but are not scheduled for regular shifts.

QUOTE=jf]At my interview at UCONN, I was told that the residents often fly with lifestar, unlike what a previous poster said.[/QUOTE]

My program didn't have a flight program for residents, but by pure chance I got to ride on a military medevac helicopter, one of those with the two gigantic rotors on top. Noisy bird, that one.

jf said:
At my interview at UCONN, I was told that the residents often fly with lifestar, unlike what a previous poster said.
We get patients from LifeStar all the time, and I've never seen a resident flying along. It's always been a nurse and a respiratory therapist. Of course, this is only my experience (out of maybe 30 interactions with LifeStar).

UConn apparently offers a transport medicine fellowship that allows fellows to study air medical transport. I think they ride along with the crews as opposed to being a member of the crew, but then again, I'm only going with second hand info here.

As a plug for Lifestar...I have interacted with them as an EMT for many years and am now doing some research with them....it is a great program. The crew members are smart, professional and fun to work with. They normally fly with a flight nurse/medic and a RT, but often have observers with them.

From what I remember St. V's in Toledo is the be-all-end-all in flight opportunities.

The MSU program in Grand Rapids allows for moonlighting opportunities as a third year resident on Aeromed. The majority of our third years do shifts. You are the flight physician when working.

jonwilli said:
I believe Case Western and Akron General also have the same thing, they both can fly time on the same helicopter crew as crew members and not just observers in Cleveland.

MetroHealth has one of the busiest helicopters in the country, if not the busiest. There are 4 helicopters, 3 usually in rotation. There are two pilots, helicopters are Sikorsky's. There is always a doc on board. Residents have ample opportunity to moonlight. The helicopter is also nice for a residency in the sick pathology is BRINGS to the ED. If you're interested in aeromedicine, you should check out Cleveland.

mds