fourth yr question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddoc

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
if i am interested in applying to a particular residency program, is doing an away elective there in november/december of my fourth yr too late to help me get my foot in the door for an interview if i would otherwise not get one?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think it is too late. Programs still interview in Dec/Jan. They might offer you an interview when you show up. And it might help your chances if you told them at the outset that the reason you are applying for an away rotation is that you are very interested in their residency. They may give you the rotation and an interview.

I would do it.

I'd try to move it earlier. Oct and going into first 2 weeks of Nov are better, IMO, for the very fact that programs are interviewing in Dec/Jan and if you get interviews in Dec, you don't want to leave your externship to interview. They're typically pretty understanding but if you're going to be absent for more than 1 or 2 interview's worth of time, your externship program director may look down on that. Personally I think Oct is THE perfect time because it's close enough to interview season where they will remember you.

Nov is ok too, but I would schedule the interview at the end of the externship so that you leave on a good note. But again, interview season is pretty much mid/late Nov going into Jan.

Nope, not too late although I agree that October would be your best bet. Some places will offer you an interview out of courtesy for having done a rotation.

Never too late to make a good impression!

good question, eddoc... i have scheduled a rotation at one of my top choices from early Nov to Dec 2. Is this too late to get a letter from said rotation to use at other places that late in the game? That is, should I think of this time slot as solely an audition interview for that one program? Thanks for any input