georgetown special masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camisho

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the Georgetown special masters program and how hard it is to get in? I understand that the point of the program is to prove you can do medschool work, but if you send out your medschool apps in like let's say June, and the Georgetown program starts in August, then how will the admissions committees be able to judge your progress enough to be able to offer you an interview in say October/November? Won't you not have been in the Georgetown program long enough? Any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The GMP accepts applications concurrently while you are applying to med school. So. . .in order to begin the program in Fall 2004, you would have had (or will do so very soon) applied to med school already, and not have received any acceptances.

Hey DocKW,
The idea is that if you apply to med school that year, the schools see that you are in a post-bacc program and hold off reviewing your application until your first semester grades are in. This puts you in an interview around Feb or March for the schools that wait. Im in a similar program now and already have some interviews. I guess some shools are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if you pre post-bacc stats are resectible. Mouse

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Mouseman
Hey DocKW,
The idea is that if you apply to med school that year, the schools see that you are in a post-bacc program and hold off reviewing your application until your first semester grades are in. This puts you in an interview around Feb or March for the schools that wait. Im in a similar program now and already have some interviews. I guess some shools are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if you pre post-bacc stats are resectible. Mouse

Mouseman, is this what med school admissions ppl told you? I have been trying to figure this out for a while now. I am enrolled in a postbacc program, but i am wondering if mentioning it on my secondaries is gonna hurt me by schools waiting to receive my fall grades.

Hello,

I don't plan on applying to med school this coming April. If I want to be in the Georgetown Program, must I be applying to med school concurrently?

Yeah, this is what the admissions people said. Not all of them but the majority will wait to see your grades. I think it also depends on the specific program you go into. A lot of the schools are familiar ones that have been around for a while such as Gtown and Drexel. In my class I would say that about half are applying this year and half are waiting to apply next year. FYI Mouse

For the Drexel and the Georgetown programs, I've heard recently that georgetown is super competitive, as in they take in 5 people out of the 90 into their school. For Drexel the numbers are better, but I heard there was a change in administration, so they're going to take that path also.

the georgetown smp program actually has about 130 students, and they take about 20% into their med school the following year.

Is the MCAT required for admission into the special masters program, or will GRE (or SAT) be satisfactory?

Thanks.

Anyone know any information about the Georgetown SMP wait list? Is there a good chance of getting off of it?

Anyone know any information about the Georgetown SMP wait list? Is there a good chance of getting off of it?

8.5 year old thread? Really? Reeeaaallllly?

There wasn't a 100 other newer georgetown threads to post in?