Getting into Northwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my new MSAR, and Northwestern median MCAT is a 37 (13ps/11vr/13bs). Is this actually correct? That is some sick median man. Anyone got any tips for going to Northwestern? I don't know my MCAT yet, but my GPA and BCMP are both 3.5

Members don't see this ad.

Well it's only an avarage and its only northwestern

I was pretty sure that the MSAR includes everyone who is accepted, not just those who matriculate. It's easy to fudge numbers that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you want to go to Northwestern, you should rock the MCAt and bump up your GPA, I guess. And be a very interesting person with a great personality who interviews well. Yeah, it is a competitive world out there.

37? wowza that is right on par with WashU's median. Has WashU gone up then?

That is the correct median for the individual sections for all accepted ppl. However some ppl probably chose to matriculate elsewhere, So I would guess the actual median of matriculants is 35-36.

I just received my new MSAR, and Northwestern median MCAT is a 37 (13ps/11vr/13bs). Is this actually correct? That is some sick median man. Anyone got any tips for going to Northwestern? I don't know my MCAT yet, but my GPA and BCMP are both 3.5

OK, so where are you getting this number? Adding up the median score for each individual section is NOT the same as finding the actual median score. For proof, look at an MCAT score report. It shows you the percentile you are in for each individual section right? Now look at the total percentile your total NUMBER is in. Bet it's a lot higher than any of the individual parts right? That's because, for example. Maybe 20% of people get at least a 10 on verbal, 15% of people get at least a 12 on bio and 13% of people get a 12 in physics, but only 10% of people get a 32 OVERALL. So your score (or potential score) is not as mediocre as you think.

Bottom line: don't freak out. Just do the best you can.

sometimes i wonder where usnews(or whatever source you are using) gets their numbers. i certainly did not have a 37 and many others in the class did not either. with that said there were certainly people who did meet or surpass the number you cite. but it is not by any means an absolute number one must reach to have a chance.

According to the Feinberg site, the average stats for the Class of 2011 are 3.7, 34.2. That's average, not median. The true median is probably around 35 (sure to crawl up in the next few years).

Doom, I'd write the admissions office a letter every day. Including blood in the signature is totally neccesary. Doing so will show your determination and they MUST let you in.

Geez those are some high scores....I have a 3.72 and NU is my top. I haven't take the MCAT yet, but who knows....

I believe Northwestern looks for very special candidates who have done amazing things. They all have the MCATs and grades and research... with over 7500 applicants for 130 spots, they can carefully select and build a class of outstanding individuals. If they want the candidate who won a gold medal and lived in Tibet, they can probably get him or her.

As for me, I was accepted in the early pool (Nov) this application cycle. I made sure I put together a very solid application from start to finish, I mean solid. I had everything turned in as early as possible, and wrote very strong essays. But I also had the accomplishments and life experience to back them up.

Good luck!

Well, if you want to go to Northwestern, you should rock the MCAt and bump up your GPA, I guess. And be a very interesting person with a great personality who interviews well. Yeah, it is a competitive world out there.

Doesn't that apply to most medical schools? :)

Don't forget being willing to drop many a g to attend as it ain't cheap out there.

I believe Northwestern looks for very special candidates who have done amazing things. They all have the MCATs and grades and research... with over 7500 applicants for 130 spots, they can carefully select and build a class of outstanding individuals. If they want the candidate who won a gold medal and lived in Tibet, they can probably get him or her.

As for me, I was accepted in the early pool (Nov) this application cycle. I made sure I put together a very solid application from start to finish, I mean solid. I had everything turned in as early as possible, and wrote very strong essays. But I also had the accomplishments and life experience to back them up.

Good luck!

Yea, but that doesn't explain how I got in.

Same here. I had a really great conversation with one of my interviewers (not the panel interviewers) and I think that got me in despite a crappy panel interview. As much as I hate saying it, I think my MCAT and GPA were a pretty large part of me getting in, though I know my life experiences, volunteering, and research supplemented.

I think I might just apply and if I don't get in, try again, so I can at least get tips from adcom for the second try. I have 2 years of research now, although no publications yet, but I might get one in my senior year. I'll have about 200 hours of volunteer, and I literally had 8 years of shadowing, from when I was 4 until when I was 11. Both my parents were docs. I also have a little bit of leadership, but none of this stuff make me stand out because everyone has volunteer/leadership/shadow/research/work etc. It's not my fault my genes were ****ty for sports, and with everything going on I didn't have much time for community service etc anyways..

IMHO I wouldn't mention much of what you say here to an ADCOM. Your MCAT's good, and your grades... but leave the gentic predisposition and "shadowing" out. ADCOMS do seem to like Dr. kids as they have lifestyle experience. They also may not give you much useful advice...you can buy advice much cheaper than an application cycle.