Getting into residency after failing Step II CS and Step III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bold

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pass step III, and then your plan should be feasible. Be able to present solidarity in your goals, no excuse explanation of past failures and you should be able to land somewhere. Do it now though, because each year is getting harder and harder to apply for.

In this situation the best solution has typically been to have an explanation as to why you failed when you did, how you recognized what went wrong, and what you went through to fix it.

Sometimes a hardship can put you ahead of the pack it's something that made you stronger.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Not impossible, but you need to be realistic about what specialty you choose and apply broadly.

Don't neglect to ask the physician you are shadowing whether he/she has any type of connection with any residency programs. A phone call or email to a program on your behalf might at least encourage a more detailed review and consideration of your application. If you've maintained ties with medical school classmates or colleagues from residency, contact them as well. I think your application will require a little bit of networking in order to get your foot in the door.

mrwesticles said:
Sometimes a hardship can put you ahead of the pack it's something that made you stronger.

I'm not sure these hardships will make anything easier.

I would apply to very low competitive FM programs in hopes of getting a spot somewhere. I don't like to be negative, but this puts the OP in a tough situation.

Get those tests passed and reapply asap.