Got a really low score on Step 1..what to do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crazed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, so I just found out that I got a 188/77. What do I do?? Do I....
a) panic
b)drop out
c) retake the exam
Am I doomed to never match?? Would doing much better on Step 2 have any bearing on my future? any help would be greatly appreciated! :( :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Whatever, speciality you are interested in try to get a letter of recommendation from one of the doctors during your third year rotation plus research in that specific field would also help.

Thanks for your input. I guess I knew the answer to my dilemma, but it's just such a very sucky situation anyway. BTW, does anyone know where you could look up avg board scores for various residencies, regions, etc? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Crazed said:
BTW, does anyone know where you could look up avg board scores for various residencies, regions, etc? Thanks! :)

No one really knows that. But word on the street is that a 230 or so will get you into a top program for noncompetetive residencies like Internal Med or Psych, while for stuff like derm, you might not get into a top program, but at least you'll get in somewhere.

But don't forget, Step 1 is not like the MCATs. There are a lot more variables that residency programs look at (especially how well you did in say your Internal Medicine if you're applying for that residency).

Just remember...

Step 1 Scores DO NOT correlate with wards performance.

If you work hard, are interested and motivated you will do well.

I know from experience it's feels sucky, but DO NOT let yourself get too down about this - let it inspire you to work hard 3rd year!

-kem

Thanks to all for their responses! I thought the last post was esp interesting. Up until now, I've been under the impression that Step 1 scores are the primary determinants of where you end up. That's why I was surprised at how well I seem to be doing in my first rotation. I seem to be having consistently great interactions both w/ the attendings, and patients alike. I've gotten so many kind complements over the past few weeks, it's really been surprising. It's weird in that I did sooooo poorly on the boards, yet I somehow remember all this stuff when getting pimped. I always suspected that face-to-face interactions were much more of a forte of mine than taking exams...maybe I'd been correct all along. So, once again, thanks a ton to all - there are so many kind peeps on SDN! :love: :love: