Grad school personal statement - Scream for help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I nmeantime I am not accepted anywhere yet, I decided to start applying into MS graduate programs. For some of them I have to write some sort of personal statement where I have to explain why I want to do a graduate degree and why I want to do research. I was enjoying writting my AMCAS PS because it was related to what I actually want to do. Writing an essay on how I would like to do something I'd better not.
If not accpted into med school grad school is the only option for me becasue I have to stay in school to raise my grades. Any suggestions? Do any schools have MS programs in Biological sciences that are paid and I would not have to write a personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually,
my school has MS programs that require personal statements as well for their applications. I think almost all schools require them for their MS applications. Sorry, Spiderman.

Ouch! I'm in a M.S. Chemistry program (paid) and didn't have to write a personal statement. Boy, am I glad I didn't have to!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used my PS for med aps and then tailored it to their subject area. Most asked for what I would like to do once I receive the degree...so I told them basically grad is a stepping stone.

Not the smartest thign to do, but it's the truth.

For a MS program, you should write about what relevant coursework and research background you have had and what kind of research you aim to do for your thesis (if there is a thesis componant to the program)... I applied for grad schools before thinking about med school, and I was admitted to phD and MS programs. I backed out of the phD with the mind to apply to med schools later on. I think you should aim to GET INTO the program, rather than opt to just use your med school application essay, the fact that you are thinking about med school afterwards could be included, but isn't the main point...Your personal statement doesn't have to be like the amcas statement, but more about your specific major related aims, look like a "gunner" for your major. Mostly the people reviewing you admissions are going to be PhDs, and potentially faculty that you will be encountering and may want to have you work for them.

Have a professor who is in your major, maybe someone who wrote a letter for you, look it over-- that may help as well. Hope this helps, I'm sure you have all your GREs squared away!