GW vs UVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pancua324

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
GW
Pros: bigger city, more research opportunities on campus and in surrounding area (NIH, Hopkins)
Cons: feels like a wholesale med school and lacks personability

Uvm
Pros: homely environment, staff and faculty seem to care about students more, even administrators are really nice
Cons : far from big city, and research opportunities limited. The quality of the research is great, but there is only a small pool of researchers (compared to the D.C. area).

My goal is to be in academic medicine and be involved in translational/basic science research. Kind of like this person: Daniel A. Lim MD, PhD - Department of Neurological Surgery | UCSF
I have a decent basic science background (two first author publications from the 3 years of research I've done post-undergrad) and will not be applying to MD/PhD programs (low GPA, low MCAT, and don't want to be in school for another 8 years).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at both places and had no complaints with GW, I actually did like it a lot.

I liked UVM too in terms of the facility and environment. But are you ready to live in Vermont for 4 years is a big question.

GW is not a research powerhouse either, but I think you will have opportunities for research in both places maybe a lil more at GW. They are both the same in terms of ranking but a big difference in location. You should see if you like living in a big city, distance from family etc to figure out.

Not to be Debbie Downer over here, but he is the director of a neurosurgery program at UCSF. There are likely hoards who aim to be like him, most with limited success. The path to being a physician scientist is a long and arduous one, with many (if not most) physician-scientists changing their goals and priorities along the way. Many who start out committed to research, end up 100% clinical. Research funding is scarce and clinical work is what pays. Luckily, these are both great schools that will allow you to do whatever you end up wanting to do.

Go where you think you can succeed. UVM and GWU are similar enough that I don't think there is a clear winner. They both have plenty of research opportunities and good clinical opportunities. Decide based on other factors (curriculum, location, specific opportunities, patient pop) and your personal preference.