Help in guiding applicant with low board scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBrownBear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

A friend who is a third year student at a middle tier state school in the northeast scored a 195 on his boards and called me up now regarding what chances he has at an IM residency in boston. I know IM isnt competitive, but I am not sure how to advise him. He has mix of honors and high passes in preclinical grades (not AOA) and mix of honors and high passes in third year grades so far (honor in psych and fam med and hp in medicine, other clerkships await)...he really wants to be in boston or at least somewhere close to boston as this is where he wants to live and he's feeling mad stressed about not even being able to get interviews there...I was wondering if any other applicants with similar stats could post up whether or not getting interviews and positive responses from some boston (and surrounding area) schools was very difficult or what things I can advise this "little brother" of mine. Specifically commenting on ease of entrance into UMASS, tufts nemc, bu, bid, lahey, st elizabith;s and cambridge (and please any other programs there that are worth considering)...to round out his app a little more, he has three summers of research experience from undergrad without any pubs, some good extracurriculars and will probably obtain decent letters of rec...pretty strong applicant overall but is really very concerned about these board scores...

incidentally, while we are on the topic, places in and near baltimore, places in and near NY, and places in and near philly that I could advise regarding could be helpful as well...but boston is his biggest concern, so please offer me any advice I could offer him...

thanks and I am always indebted to the SDN posters

DR BB

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best thing he could do to improve his chances are some away rotations early fourth year to programs in Boston, during which he develops friendships with influential faculty. Also, to find faculty at his own institution who are tied to Boston.

I would tell him not to worry about it too much because if he can't match to Boston for IM then he probably can't match in Boston for any other specialty either. That doesn't sound positive, but if you can't alter the conclusion significantly why be "mad stressed" about it?

If he is not opposed to community programs he should definitely look at Mt Auburn, Cambridge, Carney, St E's, etc, where he would have a good chance of getting in. However, as previously mentioned, away rotations, and most importantly rocking step 2 (he should take it as early as possible, i.e. take July off and do it then), and honoring Sub-I should really help him get into a better program.

Members don't see this ad :)
i could really use some more help in this matter...if anyone got some interviews at umass, BU, tufts, lahey, st e's, or other programs, can they post their stats, or somethign to go by so I can know how competitive he is...does this person have a shot at any university based program in the boston (oir within 1 hour of boston) area???

DrBrownBear said:
i could really use some more help in this matter...if anyone got some interviews at umass, BU, tufts, lahey, st e's, or other programs, can they post their stats, or somethign to go by so I can know how competitive he is...does this person have a shot at any university based program in the boston (oir within 1 hour of boston) area???

Med School: Mid tier
Pre-clinical: Passes, sprinkle of Honors
Clinical: Honors and just below Honors (like A's and B's)
Class Rank: Mid third
Step 1: ~200
Step 2: ~200

MA interviews offered: BU, UMass, Mount Auburn. Did not apply to Lahey or St. Elizabeth. Not offered an interview by Tufts.

Your friend will likely be just fine! Tell him/her to just keep working hard, try not to worry, and enjoy learning medicine!

Dr. BrownBear. I PMed you yesterday with a list of programs where I interviewed. My stats are very much similar to your friends (or even worse, I didn't have any honors). He should also consider applying to Brown (great program, only 1 hour away from Boston).

thank you ms. mass...please keep me updated on where you end up and how things work out for u...I have a vested interest in this "little brother" as we would like to end up together, and this thus affects my rank order list if he has no chance of entering the state...thanks a lot...anyone else with more info please post...I would love to get as much data to help advise him as possible...and to help me figure out if I can rank some of my boston programs or not...I know NY offers more options...anyone have opinions on philly or baltimore?

btw...thanks for brown as a suggestion lili...didnt realize providence is so close to boston...I would imagine it is very competitive though, no?