help new applicants on interviews!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qoo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I was browsing the pre-med forum and saw a thread on interview feedback. I thought it would be a good idea if the 2002 or older applicants helped the 2003 applicants out on that too :). Tell us which schools u interviewed at, what the format's like, what kind of questions (traditional or not)..etc. Let's do this! It would be sooooooooo so helpful! THANKS!

:clap:
-qoo-

Members don't see this ad.

I could tell you about Texas interviews, but I don't think there are too many people applying to Texas here. They were all laid back. Why do you want to be a dentist? Then we talked about dentistry and how great a field it is, etc. One of my interviewers talked with me about digital cameras for a while. Another talked about Ni-Titanium files (he was in endo). To me, the only somewhat stressful interview was with a student. She asked a lot of standard questions. Best/worst qualities sort of thing. And she wasn't as friendly as the dentists. It wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be.

By far, the best interview I went to was at Michigan. It was so laid back and unstressful. Most of the questions I had were about me in general. You know, stuff anyone would ask to get to know you. Very low key.

The worst...Columbia was pretty rough. I didn't get in there. I felt like they were attacking me and didn't really care about me. They question a lot of things in your app so be prepared.

The 1st interview you go to, no matter where it is, is the hardest. Everything depends on who you get also. I'm from Hawaii and when I interviewed at UOP my interviewer liked Hawaii. So, we ended up talking about that for a good amount of time. I heard he might be difficult but no problem. If you find that you have something in common or he/she asks you about something you love to talk about, milk it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out this link: Collected Feedback from Medical and Dental Interviews

Has interview feedback from these dental schools:
Connecticut
University of Connecticut

Florida
University of Florida
Nova Southeastern

Louisiana
LSU

Maryland
University of Maryland

Massachusetts
Tufts

New York
New York University

Pennsylvania
University of Pennsylvania
Temple

Hey class of 2007!

Check out this link from last yr:

Interview Stuff

good luck :)

ricegirl

I think i should post some info. I know when i went to my interviews I would have appreciated this info.

UIC: First of all don;t apply there if you are out-of-state. You are better off throwing your $40 out the window.

The interview is kind of scary. I felt much more 'on the spot' then I did at Indiana. Its a 4 hour deal. The day starts with the usual question and answer deal. After then its a 4 person rotation. 1 applicant interviewing in room 1, 1 applciant interviewing in room 2, 1 applicant writing a bs essay (they might scrap that), and 1 applicant on break. So you switch every 30 minutes
The interiviews are 2 on 1. A DDS, and another faculty member. They ask the usual: Why dentistry. What dental experience do you have. NOTE: the interviews are 100% blind. They know nothing about you besides your name. Its your job to incorporate your undergrad campus, degree, why you failed biochem etc.. They know nothing!!!!. Anyways they ask things like:: Should there be affirmative action in dental admissions?? If you don;t get into dental school what are you going to do with your life?? etc... They kept repeating that there is no right or wrong answer. But they want to see if you can articulate a sentance and if you can think on your feet.

The essay is something like:: WHEN is it ok for a DDS to not treat a patient. Again... if you can write a sentance, and connect it with the next one you are good. You can write about why Pete Rose should be in the hall of fame for all they care. But just use sentances, periods and commas and you are in.
At the end you get a tour. You can see the "wonderful'' facilities, and then they will tell you how the state is giving them $5,000,000 to build a simmulation lab (LIE). Well, got class. Hope that helps.